Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Burpee Super Sauce Tomato (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=29985)

IRITEI September 7, 2013 02:22 PM

Burpee Super Sauce Tomato

Any opinions on Burpee's New "Super Sauce" tomato that was introduced this year?

kath September 7, 2013 02:52 PM

I'm anxious to hear from members who tried it, too. My MIL likes smaller plants and loves large plum tomatoes.

The following page at the Burpee website has reviews from 78 people:

[url]http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tomatoes/paste/tomato-supersauce-hybrid-prod003154.html#BVRRWidgetID[/url]

kath

brokenbar September 7, 2013 02:56 PM

My Son brought me these seeds when he came to Mexico to visit us (he is a sucker for anything new!)

I must say the Super Sauce was a surprise...BIG fruit, about 1 1/2 lbs average for me and about the size of a softball. VERY dry, nearly seedless and for a paste tomato, flavor is pretty darn good.

Burpee says this tomato is an indeterminate but it acted much more like a semi-determinate for me. Early heavy fruit set but then not much more fruit set until end of season. Plants were 3-5 foot tall whereas my heirlooms go 7 foot and up. EXCELLENT drying tomato...I never used it for sauce.

I think I will stabilize this as I liked it enough to try. I have previously stabilized Burpee's "Big Mama" which is now a staple in my garden and was a super easy tomato to stabilize as the fruits are as uniform in size and shape as can be.

From my limited grow out, I can recommend it. These tomatoes are so dense in texture you could use them as canon balls!:lol: Also, as the plants are a smaller size they would be a plus for those gardners with limited space.

Smithma September 7, 2013 09:29 PM

I grew one plant from Burppe this season, Super Sauce was probably the worst producer during a year when all others were and still are making tomatoes. All cracked deeply and had some rot spots. The few I did get made nice salsa

meadowyck September 7, 2013 10:34 PM

[QUOTE]Also, as the plants are a smaller size they would be a plus for those gardners with limited space.[/QUOTE]

brokenbar this is good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience with this. I promise I won't use them as cannon balls though.

brokenbar September 7, 2013 10:53 PM

[QUOTE=meadowyck;374989]brokenbar this is good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience with this. I promise I won't use them as cannon balls though.[/QUOTE] :)) They are probably one of the densest tomatoes I have ever seen.
When I picked, I felt like I was hauling a load of rocks in my bucket! My Husband said he could use them for bocci balls! I had already made my salsa when these came ripe but I think they would have been really good and the salsa would have been nice and chunky. If you picked them at "just ripe" I almost bet you could grill thick slices...

peppero September 8, 2013 07:31 AM

I had high hopes for this variety. I was given two plants; one died and the other produced three perhaps 6oz tomatoes. This was in a raised bed with 2 Sunsugar plants that have done well. They are dense with few seeds and ordinary taste and I will not spend the money for my own seeds. That is my story and I am sticking to it. I wish it had ended better.

jon:bummer:

ginger2778 September 8, 2013 08:16 AM

Isn't it something, the amount of variation the same tomato will do in a different garden. Always amazes me.

Marsha

JamesL September 8, 2013 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;375024]Isn't it something, the amount of variation the same tomato will do in a different garden. Always amazes me.

Marsha[/QUOTE]

Marsha,
I was thinking the same thing. I always scratch my head when a tomato rocks in my garden and the variety next to it doesn't. And others have the exact opposite experience.

Redbaron September 8, 2013 12:36 PM

I agree Marsha. Kellogg's Breakfast does so well I even wonder why anyone would bother with the KBX "improvement". What? You want something better than loads of 1-2+ pound perfect monster tomatoes that taste awesome and keep producing right up till frost?:?:

But KBX is more uniform...almost tastes as good...almost gets as big.....almost produces as many fruit...for me "almost as good" is not as good......so for me I go for Kellogg's Breakfast.....but someone else might not get dependable production from Kellogg's and for them "almost as good" is better than a crop failure that produces nothing.:yes:

And here we find that even the hybrid super sauce has tremendous variation.

habitat_gardener September 8, 2013 12:47 PM

[QUOTE=Redbaron;375046]I agree Marsha. Kellogg's Breakfast does so well I even wonder why anyone would bother with the KBX "improvement". What? You want something better than loads of 1-2+ pound perfect monster tomatoes that taste awesome and keep producing right up till frost?:?:...[/QUOTE]

In my garden last year, KB was kind of bland and not productive until late in the season, when it produced a bunch all at once. Not a tomato for cool summers? (...waiting for the counter-counterexample...)

Labradors2 September 8, 2013 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=habitat_gardener;375051]In my garden last year, KB was kind of bland and not productive until late in the season, when it produced a bunch all at once. Not a tomato for cool summers? (...waiting for the counter-counterexample...)[/QUOTE]

You'll get no argument from me. I grew KB once and it was a lousy producer of three bland tomatoes. It was not invited back to my garden again :(.

Linda

peppero September 8, 2013 02:58 PM

[QUOTE=Labradors2;375064]You'll get no argument from me. I grew KB once and it was a lousy producer of three bland tomatoes. It was not invited back to my garden again :(.

Linda[/QUOTE]

KB was disappointing for me but KBX has been good. One thing for sure is uncertainty.

jon:?!?::roll::lol:

afrance30 September 8, 2013 06:09 PM

Super Sauce will be in my garden again next year. I had ordered four plants and the tomatoes were big and dense and perfect for sauce. They tasted better than I thought they would.

Father'sDaughter September 8, 2013 09:51 PM

Super Sauce sounds great, but I don't know that I'd like having to buy seeds every few years, constantly hoping that Burpee doesn't discontinue it. I don't have the spare garden space to try stabilizing hybrids right now, so I'll just have to see if someone else has any luck doing so.