Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Gutter Gardens - Are They Safe? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=21053)

whistler January 23, 2012 04:45 PM

Gutter Gardens - Are They Safe?

Someone sent me a photo today of a couple of rain gutters that were attached to the side wall of a house and planted with lettuce / onions / radishes, etc.

Sounds like a brilliant idea to add extra growing space, but I'm concerned about possible issues from growing in a metal (aluminum) container.

Anyone here know if this is safe for growing food, or who I can contact to ask about safety issues? Perhaps I could line the gutters with plastic first (more $$$ though...)?

I suppose a gutter planter would easily work for flowers, but I could really use the extra space for salad greens and such.

Wi-sunflower January 23, 2012 04:53 PM

Unless you are using old recycled gutters, many of the gutters available at the building stores ARE plastic.

I haven't seen them on the side of a house, but I have seen systems using them for lettuce in greenhouses.

Carol

BigBrownDogHouse January 23, 2012 05:29 PM

[QUOTE=whistler;250579]Someone sent me a photo today of a couple of rain gutters that were attached to the side wall of a house and planted with lettuce / onions / radishes, etc.
[/QUOTE]

There's a few folks in the neighborhood that have their annual maple tree gardens growing in their gutters every late Spring.

Opps! Guess that's another topic!:lol:

Worth1 January 23, 2012 05:34 PM

I have new aluminum seamless gutters and I feel they should be used for what they were intended for.

Rain drainage away from your foundation.

The idea of filling them with wet soil could only promote rot on your house---maybe.:?!?:
Besides there is no way I could talk my wife into collecting lettuce with a ladder.:(
Not with a store down the road.:roll:

Worth

whistler January 23, 2012 06:17 PM

These would be new gutters, totally separate from my existing house gutters, which would still be used to keep the water away from the house foundation.

I'd like to attach the new gutter gardens to my deck railing for easy access.

Zana January 23, 2012 06:22 PM

Whistler,

Are you thinking about hanging these on the walls rather than at the edge of the roof to grow the lettuce? I've seen this, using the widest available gutters....and mostly plastic ones. I've also seen them mounted at different levels on fences for vertical gardening in small spaces. As long as you cap the ends you should be good.

But the plastic could break down over years of exposure to UV rays.

Zana

added - You were obviously adding the above post when I wrote mine. Should work on the railings with no problem. But use wide ones.

Keiththibodeaux January 23, 2012 06:49 PM

Odds are your a months worth of your deodorant has more aluminum than you will ever get from your lettuce.

Worth1 January 23, 2012 07:10 PM

Well in that case go for it.:yes:

Worth

jennifer28 January 23, 2012 09:09 PM

When my husband and I moved into our house a few years ago, there was a metal gutter garden system attached to the side of the cement wall of our garage. It was pretty cool. We bought this home because of the numerous gardens and beds set up all over the property. We bought the home from the daughter of the original owner. She told us he had this gutter design for at least ten years and they grew many different crops in it. The man and his wife lived well into their 90s, so I don't think the gutter gardening harmed them. Sadly, the daughter took down the gutter garden system before we closed on the house. We actually wanted it left there, but oh well. Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but I think if it is set up correctly it is fine and won't hurt you or your house foundation.

bigmeanmamma March 3, 2012 08:00 PM

Whistler someone sent me an email about gutter gardens too! I have a fence that I could attach plenty of rows on. The aluminium was a concern to me too. I was thinking of maybe using pvc cut in half lengthwise but it looks like vinyl gutters might be an option.

It seems like they would need drainage holes added.

RebelRidin March 3, 2012 09:40 PM

Very cool idea! Sounds great for lettuce, spinach, radishes...

Plastic gutters will be UV stabilized too so sun should not break them down too quickly. Could easily last a decade. if the are mounted properly with sufficient fasteners/support.

For drainage you could just drill some holes. If you have rows of them you can water & feed from the top
/..................../
, , , , , , ,
, ,

let it trickle on through to the next and then drop down to the next row and so on....

Way cool 8-)

I need a taller fence!

Zana March 3, 2012 10:17 PM

You could always create a freestanding frame to hold them and skip the fence...thereby making sure you can have it where you get sufficient sunlight. You could probably stack them about 4 or more high. Hmmmmm...might have to get busy on my drafting table.

Zana

laspasturas March 3, 2012 11:07 PM

I've seen them done with plastic and metal guttering. The metal holds up much better under the weight of the soil and looks nicer in general. The plastic can lose a little of its form and start to look a bit saggy.

amideutch March 4, 2012 05:45 AM

Gutters became a favorite of hydroponic growers using the NFT (Nutrient Flow Technique) especially for lettuce as well as strawberries. PVC and aluminum are the materials of choice. Whether you do it hydroponically or use them as a planter filled with growing medium there are a lot of advantaves to this type of gardening. Ami

[url]http://www.homegrown.org/profiles/blogs/repurposed-raingutters-as[/url]