Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Squash Questions (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=9951)

tlcmd December 30, 2008 04:01 PM

Squash Questions

Any advice regarding summer squash varieties would be appreciated. My garden is around 1400 sq ft and will have cukes, tomatoes, okra, greens, dill, wormwood, greens, and beans as the primary crops. Since some of these share common pests and diseases, would appreciate recommendations for resistant yellow crook or straight neck squash varieties for piedmont NC (Greensboro).
Thanks,
Dick

Tormato December 31, 2008 10:48 AM

tlcmd,

Vine borers are the biggest problem for me. I'll borrow a line from the Hanson brothers... "Putting on the foil, coach". Wrapping the stems with aluminum foil does wonders, for me.

While most summer squashes are "pepo", the "moschata" types seem to have the most resistance to pests/diseases.

Gary

tlcmd December 31, 2008 01:10 PM

Gary,
Thanks. Would you please suggest a summer variety of "moschata" squash comparable to yellow crookneck.
Thanks,
Dick

Tormato January 6, 2009 01:47 PM

Dick,

I know of only a couple of varieties...

Zucchino Rampicante (Tromboncino)

and

Courge Longue de Nice

...neither that I've tried. I've heard that these will thrive where everything else dies.

Gary

tlcmd January 6, 2009 02:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not big on squash, but my wife really likes the yellow crook and straight necked summer squash. Since we also grow cucumbers nearby (20 - 30 feet), I'm trying to find a disease/insect/mildew resistant tolerant summer variety which will not put my cukes at increased risk and vice versa.

Ruth_10 January 6, 2009 08:39 PM

[quote=Tormato;114713]tlcmd,

Vine borers are the biggest problem for me. I'll borrow a line from the Hanson brothers... "Putting on the foil, coach". Wrapping the stems with aluminum foil does wonders, for me.

Gary[/quote]

Foil foils the stem borers? Please tell me you're serious.:D That would be [B]wonderful[/B]. When do you put it on? How tight fitting does it have to be? How far up the stem does it have to go?

Stem borers have ruined 90% of my squash crops the last three years and I would love to get a crop.

stormymater January 7, 2009 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=Ruth_10;115574]Foil foils the stem borers? Please tell me you're serious.:D That would be [B]wonderful[/B]. When do you put it on? How tight fitting does it have to be? How far up the stem does it have to go?

Stem borers have ruined 90% of my squash crops the last three years and I would love to get a crop.[/QUOTE]

No kidding! Now that I know what the little red/black bee-like moths look like I 'm after them in the garden hard. Unfortunately their markings mimic "cow ants", a wingless wasp that I suspect is a beneficial but I KNOW can sting the p***ss out of you if you mess with it. I am considering trying row covers but those little moths seem to be out all day long so I don't know how helpful the covers would be. ADVICE welcomed!

Nightshade January 7, 2009 01:59 PM

Gary, would foil would also foil cutworms?

Ruth_10 January 7, 2009 07:48 PM

Nightshade, I'm not Gary but yes, foil will foil cutworms. It doesn't have to be foil, either. A cardboard collar will stop the cutworms as well.

Cutworms have to be able to encircle the stem (that's why larger plants aren't bothered by cutworms) and anything you can do to keep them away from the stem will work.

I have even read that just inserting a small twig into the ground next to the stem (touching it) will work.