Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Saint Pierre tomato (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=50207)

GreenThumbGal_07 April 19, 2020 09:00 PM

Saint Pierre tomato

Hi all,

I'm trying the Saint Pierre tomato (source: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds) for the first time this summer. Has anyone here tried it?

I chose it based on reports of: flavor, yield, tolerance of cool weather.

Thanks.

GTG

Wi-sunflower April 20, 2020 08:07 AM

Not sure if it's the same but I have seed for the variety San Pierre. Problem is I only grew it once so far, several years ago and I really don't remember much about it. I started it again this year to get fresh seed but I managed to kill it off in the germination chamber. Maybe next year.

Carol

Yak54 April 20, 2020 12:30 PM

[QUOTE=GreenThumbGal_07;755317]Hi all,

I'm trying the Saint Pierre tomato (source: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds) for the first time this summer. Has anyone here tried it?

I chose it based on reports of: flavor, yield, tolerance of cool weather.

Thanks.

GTG[/QUOTE]

I grew it many years ago and thought it tasted better than most of the hybrids I grew at the time. I should probably grow it again to refresh my taste buds. I'm sure you will like it.

Dan

GreenThumbGal_07 April 20, 2020 08:36 PM

Hi Carol, thank you.

GreenThumbGal_07 April 20, 2020 08:38 PM

Hi Dan, thank you. Reviews have said it has a fine flavor. I just transplanted a seedling a few days ago. Better it should have an early start!

Yak54 April 20, 2020 09:32 PM

Good luck and let us know what results you have with this one. Perhaps more people will be encouraged to grow this variety. I just transplanted most of my seedling into 4" pots today. Will finish up tomorrow.

mcsee April 20, 2020 10:01 PM

I remember growing it here several times over the years as a medium size tasty tomato, but when I look at Bakers Creek Seeds, they list it as a large fruited plant, surely this is wrong.

loulac April 21, 2020 07:30 AM

It's traditionally grown in France, marmande for the first crops, St Pierre for the late season

marc_groleau May 11, 2020 08:29 PM

Been growing it for about three seasons in a row. Growing it again this year. Production and taste is very good. Would be a four time repeat if it wasn’t. I think you’ll be pleased.

GreenThumbGal_07 August 15, 2020 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=marc_groleau;755899]Been growing it for about three seasons in a row. Growing it again this year. Production and taste is very good. Would be a four time repeat if it wasn’t. I think you’ll be pleased.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Marc to you and everyone for the reviews. Saint Pierre is indeed a fine tomato, juicy and with well-balanced flavor, very nice.

Also, it was one of three varieties (other two were Santa Clara Canner and Sugar Lump) that DID NOT get the Dreadful Wilt (I don't know if it was verticullum or fusarium, but it's fatal to the plant and takes it down fast). These varieties have had foliar problems, but not the wilt, all were in containers.

St. Pierre was started from seed on March 8 (I ususally try to start by Valentine's Day, was late this year) and set outside on April 18. Picked the first ripe fruit on July 20.