Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   The Biggest Heirloom Tomato (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20542)

nangisha December 10, 2011 01:09 PM

The Biggest Heirloom Tomato

Hi Tomatovillian!.

We plan to make tomato contest here to keep our gardening enthusiasm keep arise :yes:. We think making the biggest tomato contes will great idea :cute:. So far the biggest tomato I ever grow is Brandywine :oops:. When I searching in the internet the biggest one I can see is Big Zac. But I think Big Zac is hybrid so we can only grow it once.

So I wonder do you think there is others big heirloom out there that's will good idea for contest like this. Ease of grow and size will be great advantage because we all amateur.

OtterJon December 10, 2011 01:32 PM

I would say for ease of growth and a tomato that can and does get very big, is
Omar's Lebanese they can get to 3-4 lbs. Pink and HUGE! and they are pretty disease resistant too.

Another big fav of mine, that can get to 4+ lbs is Cuostralee and is also very easy to grow. It's flesh is red in Color.

Well those are my choices for a contest. Hope you have fun and grow some big ones!

VvtatervV December 10, 2011 03:41 PM

Bama mater December 10, 2011 04:17 PM

Tidwell German, Old Fashion Goliath

kath December 10, 2011 05:21 PM

I grew a lot of tomatoes this year that I had received from folks here at Tomatoville and some of them seemed scary big to me. Slankard and Butler Skinner were over 3 pounds and the following all produced a fruit over 2 pounds: Hoy, Believe It or Not, Church, Work Release Paste, George's Greek Beefsteak and Mayo's Delight. Not sure which might do well growing in Indonesia, though- everything had a pretty hard time trying to grow here in PA this year!:lol:

Medbury Gardens December 10, 2011 06:21 PM

Hoy is the biggest one ive ever growth but not as big as the Omar's Lebanese you grew OtterJon

nangisha December 11, 2011 12:08 PM

[QUOTE=OtterJon;243142]I would say for ease of growth and a tomato that can and does get very big, is
Omar's Lebanese they can get to 3-4 lbs. Pink and HUGE! and they are pretty disease resistant too.

Another big fav of mine, that can get to 4+ lbs is Cuostralee and is also very easy to grow. It's flesh is red in Color.

Well those are my choices for a contest. Hope you have fun and grow some big ones![/QUOTE]

OK Your description about Omar Lebanese quite promising, I hear so many gardener praise it but never wonder its can be that's big. Its will be great to grow something that's big and tasty

Not really familiar with Cuostralee, I'l Google it and set my mind.

Tris

nangisha December 11, 2011 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=Bama mater;243147]Tidwell German, Old Fashion Goliath[/QUOTE]
Never heard it before, I hope its wasn't what thry call rare seed. Bama Mater do you had picture or description on this one. Thaks
[QUOTE=kath;243151]I grew a lot of tomatoes this year that I had received from folks here at Tomatoville and some of them seemed scary big to me. Slankard and Butler Skinner were over 3 pounds and the following all produced a fruit over 2 pounds: Hoy, Believe It or Not, Church, Work Release Paste, George's Greek Beefsteak and Mayo's Delight. Not sure which might do well growing in Indonesia, though- everything had a pretty hard time trying to grow here in PA this year!:lol:[/QUOTE]
OK Slankard and Butler Skinner for 3 pound sound promising, is this two taste OK.
I don't had big problem growing them here kath because my area great for vegetable growing including tomato. The enemy usually rain because its made the weather really humid and the leaf won't dry until night time. In rainy season tomato price can be ten times more expensive than in dry season.
The problem usually came from my gardening friend from other town who seem can grow it into big plant but never harvest a single fruit :cry:.
[QUOTE=Medbury Gardens;243158]Hoy is the biggest one ive ever growth but not as big as the Omar's Lebanese you grew OtterJon[/QUOTE]

You and Kath mention Hoy, its seem great one. When Hoy seed offered here I made request too but post office here become smarter I think not a single one get trough. FYIO Walter send me twice, isn't it really bad luck with PO.

OtterJon December 11, 2011 02:03 PM

hmmm We need to make soap or candles, with seed packets embedded in the center for you nangisha, so the post office will say..oh it's just a candle. ;)

MikeInOhio December 11, 2011 04:02 PM

I've been growing for 40 years and have never seen a larger tomato that the Siberian Pink Honey. I grew 22 varieties last year and nothing came close.

raindrops27 December 11, 2011 10:57 PM

Mike in Ohio Is the Siberian Pink Honey tomato, very sweet?I like sweet.

Andrey_BY December 11, 2011 11:51 PM

Mike, you are right - Rozovyi Myod ("Pink Honey" is an English translation of this Russian variety from Siberia) usually can get you a very huge fruit even in a cold climate.

There are many other Siberian tomatoes with very big fruit (up to 1 kg on first several trusses): Bezrazmernyi (="Dimensionless" in English, red), Vashe Blagorodie ("Your Honor", pink), Babushkin Secret ("Granny's Secret", pink), Vechnyi Zov ("Perpetual Call", red), Lyubimyi Prazdnik ("Favorite Holiday, pink), Gordost Sibiri ("Pride of Siberia", red), Korol Gigantov ("The King of Giants", red), Korol Sibiri ("The King of Siberia, yellow heart-shaped type), Korol Koroley ("The King of Kings", red - I'm still in search of seeds of it in Russia) and some others.

Plus I'm adding my Orange Minsk to this "king size list" :)

SEAMSFASTER December 12, 2011 01:45 AM

Marvin Meisner grew two heirloom varieties to over six pounds in 2011.

Delicious (6.51 Meisner 2011)
Brutus Magnum (6.25 Meisner 2011)

Quite an amazing feat!

He is the author of the book [U]Giant Tomatoes[/U] (Annedawn Publishing, 2007).

carolyn137 December 12, 2011 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=SEAMSFASTER;243330]Marvin Meisner grew two heirloom varieties to over six pounds in 2011.

Delicious (6.51 Meisner 2011)
Brutus Magnum (6.25 Meisner 2011)

Quite an amazing feat!

He is the author of the book [U]Giant Tomatoes[/U] (Annedawn Publishing, 2007).[/QUOTE]

True, but the Delicious wasn't from seeds one normally buys and nor was the Brutus one.

Marv was here and posted in your thread and I'll link to that now so that folks can get a taste, as it were, of what those who grow for competition size do.

[URL]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19937[/URL]

Hope that helps.

carolyn137 December 12, 2011 09:28 AM

Plus I'm adding my Orange Minsk to this "king size list" :)

And why not Andrey for I think it's one of the best tasting/growing varieties that you've ever found and lots of folks love it as I do.

I don't grow varieties just for large fruit size, but yes, I do think that Orange Minsk should be mentioned as having the potential to grow large, especially if it's happy where grown.;)

MikeInOhio December 12, 2011 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=raindrops27;243309]Mike in Ohio Is the Siberian Pink Honey tomato, very sweet?I like sweet.[/QUOTE]

I would describe it as more citrus-like than sweet.

lakelady December 13, 2011 08:37 PM

I don't know what a lot of these taste like, but I like this webpage because it gives me perspective on relative sizes of fruits compared to others. While varieties are probably happier in some regions/areas than others, I like seeing what x size is compared to y size grown in the same area. I've never grown giant tomatoes, but next year I'd like to get a bragger or two so my neighbors stop poking fun at me :)

[URL]http://gianttomatoseeds.com/tomato_seeds.html[/URL]

carolyn137 December 13, 2011 09:05 PM

[QUOTE=lakelady;243579]I don't know what a lot of these taste like, but I like this webpage because it gives me perspective on relative sizes of fruits compared to others. While varieties are probably happier in some regions/areas than others, I like seeing what x size is compared to y size grown in the same area. I've never grown giant tomatoes, but next year I'd like to get a bragger or two so my neighbors stop poking fun at me :)

[URL]http://gianttomatoseeds.com/tomato_seeds.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

What I see are weights of various varieties grown in a specifc year in a specific place, which may not have any bearing at all for folks growing in other areas, having different soils and all the other variables involved.

When you click to DT for instructions you'll find that the person selling these seeds posts here at Tville and put up some data I think in the Member Forum.

Just look for the word Delectation, and you'll find it and what was said there about the various Bic Zac selections and also read there where lubadub, Marv Meisner, who wrote a book about growing big tomatoes, posted as well.

Just my opinion, but if you take some of the suggestions already given in this thread and grow plants for several of them in the same season, I think that's the best way to determine how big they get for you and how good the yield and taste are as grown by you where you live using the way you grow tomatoes, what your soil is like, which amendments you use and how much and the weather in any one season, etc.

Just a gentle suggestion.:)

SEAMSFASTER December 13, 2011 10:54 PM

Regrettably, my website is not really ready for "going public", but it is set up for taking orders, mostly in a round-about way, if people have an interest in the varieties listed.

I envision more than 400 web pages with pics, detailed descriptions, multiple photos, videos, essays, etc. - much more than just selling tomato seeds. This will take some time, especially since it's my first attempt at website design. Lots of late nights of late...

Anyway, the ABOUT page might be of interest, particularly the Credits section at the bottom:

[URL]http://gianttomatoseeds.com/about.html[/URL]

Clearly from the list of varieties, my interest is not limited to big tomatoes (I only pruned and thinned 3 of 420 tomato plants to produce GIANT tomatoes in 2011), but that's what's motivational and fun to me.

If I had a choice of picking and processing one Da Costa's Portuguese (or Virginia Sweets, Belmonte, Richardson, etc.) or 1,000 itty bitty Sara's Galapagos', I would pick the big, delicious heirloom every time (well, almost every time - I LOVE Sara's Galapagos, I just go bonkers trying to harvest them :dizzy:).

I'm just thrilled and grateful that there are so many sizes, shapes, colors and flavors to try - thanks to so many dedicated growers over the generations!

Best of luck, nangisha, in growing some BIG ones in 2012 - or little ones or anything in between!

carolyn137 December 14, 2011 02:18 AM

[QUOTE=SEAMSFASTER;243599]Regrettably, my website is not really ready for "going public", but it is set up for taking orders, mostly in a round-about way, if people have an interest in the varieties listed.

I envision more than 400 web pages with pics, detailed descriptions, multiple photos, videos, essays, etc. - much more than just selling tomato seeds. This will take some time, especially since it's my first attempt at website design. Lots of late nights of late...

Anyway, the ABOUT page might be of interest, particularly the Credits section at the bottom:

[URL]http://gianttomatoseeds.com/about.html[/URL]

Clearly from the list of varieties, my interest is not limited to big tomatoes (I only pruned and thinned 3 of 420 tomato plants to produce GIANT tomatoes in 2011), but that's what's motivational and fun to me.

If I had a choice of picking and processing one Da Costa's Portuguese (or Virginia Sweets, Belmonte, Richardson, etc.) or 1,000 itty bitty Sara's Galapagos', I would pick the big, delicious heirloom every time (well, almost every time - I LOVE Sara's Galapagos, I just go bonkers trying to harvest them :dizzy:).

I'm just thrilled and grateful that there are so many sizes, shapes, colors and flavors to try - thanks to so many dedicated growers over the generations!

Best of luck, nangisha, in growing some BIG ones in 2012 - or little ones or anything in between![/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for clariifying the stiuation with your new company by posting the About page.

As for your Credits section, you might want to note that my book, unknown by me beforehand, went out of print this past Spring. However, if anyone goes to the sticky in this Forum where there's a thread about my book you'll see that the prices now range for what they should be to upwards of several hundreds of dollars at different sites.

As for me, I still have four unused copies here at home and am witing until the price gets up to maybe, oh $1,000/book, and the I'll consider selling.:lol:

SEAMSFASTER December 14, 2011 04:16 AM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;243614]Thanks so much for clariifying the stiuation with your new company by posting the About page.

As for your Credits section, you might want to note that my book, unknown by me beforehand, went out of print this past Spring. However, if anyone goes to the sticky in this Forum where there's a thread about my book you'll see that the prices now range for what they should be to upwards of several hundreds of dollars at different sites.

As for me, I still have four unused copies here at home and am witing until the price gets up to maybe, oh $1,000/book, and the I'll consider selling.:lol:[/QUOTE]

I am sorry to hear the book is out of print. Perhaps there will be reprints in the future, or even a second edition? I'm not about to sell my copy!

I have updated the ABOUT page with a link to the thread you mentioned.

sicily December 14, 2011 08:55 AM

My largest were Gildo Pietroboni.

lurley December 14, 2011 10:46 AM

My almost three pound Rebecca Sebatians Bulls Bag came from either seamsfaster's site or from blueribbontomatoes, not sure which as I planted seeds from both sources.

KLorentz December 14, 2011 11:54 AM

I had some pretty large ones with Earl's Faux,Stump of the World, And Cowlicks Brandywine.Average was 1-3 pounds. Keep in mind to get these monster maters a nice amount of organic mater will help.Do you have a compost bin started?

Kevin

SEAMSFASTER December 14, 2011 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=lurley;243642]My almost three pound Rebecca Sebatians Bulls Bag came from either seamsfaster's site or from blueribbontomatoes, not sure which as I planted seeds from both sources.[/QUOTE]

Lurley,

You were my first customer! The seeds I sent came from a 2.200 lb. RSBB I grew in 2010, which in turn came from seeds I received from kygreg (thanks again!). Perhaps he will chime in and give us more background. I really like this variety for flavor and attractive, heart-shaped fruits. The occasional BIG one is fun to get as well!

Send documentation by PM and I'll be glad to update the BIG Tomato List!

lurley December 14, 2011 02:43 PM

It won the big tomato contest over at idig, I believe only because a few other folks held theirs back though, chivalry and all I think. next year the contest will be all out from everyone though and hosted on a different site so "game on"so to speak B-)

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

travis December 14, 2011 03:15 PM

For those who send tomato seeds to overseas friends where postal clerks have sticky fingers or customs agents are particularly persnickety, let me suggest something that works for me: Put just a few seeds under clear tape on a normal sized greeting card and post the greeting card during a season when greeting cards are expected to be posted. Make sure the seeds lay flat under the tape so there's no lumps of bumps.

Andrey_BY December 14, 2011 09:47 PM

travis, we used to have a more conspiratorial way to hide seeds under a sticked postal stamps on an envelope here in USSR times when somebody wants to send or to get seeds to/from abroad in 1960s-1980s:)

nangisha December 21, 2011 10:58 AM

[QUOTE=OtterJon;243243]hmmm We need to make soap or candles, with seed packets embedded in the center for you nangisha, so the post office will say..oh it's just a candle. ;)[/QUOTE]
I think its will made them more curious why buying candle from abroad and paying big shipping cost for it, when I can find it here. They will find it fishy.

[QUOTE=Andrey_BY;243728]travis, we used to have a more conspiratorial way to hide seeds under a sticked postal stamps on an envelope here in USSR times when somebody wants to send or to get seeds to/from abroad in 1960s-1980s:)[/QUOTE]
Thats was smart one who will think any one put something under stamp, but the seed must very limited.
[QUOTE=travis;243680]For those who send tomato seeds to overseas friends where postal clerks have sticky fingers or customs agents are particularly persnickety, let me suggest something that works for me: Put just a few seeds under clear tape on a normal sized greeting card and post the greeting card during a season when greeting cards are expected to be posted. Make sure the seeds lay flat under the tape so there's no lumps of bumps.[/QUOTE]
Good one ;) they won't suspicious if like that's...
I am just wonder why I earlier shipment can pass the custom but the later on not pass a single one, even they send it as regular letter.

nangisha December 21, 2011 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=MikeInOhio;243251]I've been growing for 40 years and have never seen a larger tomato that the Siberian Pink Honey. I grew 22 varieties last year and nothing came close.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=raindrops27;243309]Mike in Ohio Is the Siberian Pink Honey tomato, very sweet?I like sweet.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Andrey_BY;243315]Mike, you are right - Rozovyi Myod ("Pink Honey" is an English translation of this Russian variety from Siberia) usually can get you a very huge fruit even in a cold climate.

There are many other Siberian tomatoes with very big fruit (up to 1 kg on first several trusses): Bezrazmernyi (="Dimensionless" in English, red), Vashe Blagorodie ("Your Honor", pink), Babushkin Secret ("Granny's Secret", pink), Vechnyi Zov ("Perpetual Call", red), Lyubimyi Prazdnik ("Favorite Holiday, pink), Gordost Sibiri ("Pride of Siberia", red), Korol Gigantov ("The King of Giants", red), Korol Sibiri ("The King of Siberia, yellow heart-shaped type), Korol Koroley ("The King of Kings", red - I'm still in search of seeds of it in Russia) and some others.

Plus I'm adding my Orange Minsk to this "king size list" :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=carolyn137;243358]Plus I'm adding my Orange Minsk to this "king size list" :)

And why not Andrey for I think it's one of the best tasting/growing varieties that you've ever found and lots of folks love it as I do.

I don't grow varieties just for large fruit size, but yes, I do think that Orange Minsk should be mentioned as having the potential to grow large, especially if it's happy where grown.;)[/QUOTE]

3 Vote for Siberian Pink Honey
2 Vote for Orange Minsk

I think I will order both along with Omar Lebanese, see which one grew better here, for each growing condition.

# Its my first tread and Carolyn replying here, I don't why its feel so good to see her in my treat ;).

# Mike I never seed seller as cheap as yours. So are you shipping to Indonesia???? There is chance its won't pass but let it be my risk...