Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Do You Store Your Tomatoes Stem Side Up or Down? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15683)

BigdaddyJ August 19, 2010 10:19 AM

Do You Store Your Tomatoes Stem Side Up or Down?

How do you store yours? Stem side up or down? I have always stored mine stem side up on my kitchen table or counters. Some people say store them stem side down which to me means upside down because they will fully ripen better. What say you guyz?

Talon1189 August 19, 2010 10:48 AM

I split the time about 50-50 here :D

FILMNET August 19, 2010 12:23 PM

stem down until the final days, because it might be to soft,on the top.

Stepheninky August 19, 2010 02:19 PM

Stem side down here, Squirrels have been a problem this year but they must be picky cause they only eat vine ripened tomatoes. So I have been having to pick a bit earlier what I have found is that if you remove the stem and place them stem side down that in a few days were the tomato is green where the stem was, will turn brown when the tomato is fully ripe. Just thought I would share that so far its held true for the varieties I have grown this year.

Katydid August 19, 2010 02:41 PM

Stem side down here as well since the shoulders are last to ripen. That way I don't miss seeing something that's become overripe. (The only exception is if there's a blemish on the shoulders that looks like it could spoil quickly).

TZ-OH6 August 19, 2010 04:11 PM

Stem down to protect the soft bottom. Too many times I have looked in a box of tomatoes and seen juice running out of a good looking fruit because the bottom rotted out.

greyghost August 19, 2010 04:29 PM

I also store mine stem-side down--also, I love looking at my newly
ripened tomatoes and the blossom end is so much more attractive.

neoguy August 19, 2010 04:40 PM

Stem down for the same reasons.

[quote=TZ-OH6;181309]Stem down to protect the soft bottom. Too many times I have looked in a box of tomatoes and seen juice running out of a good looking fruit because the bottom rotted out.[/quote]

duajones August 19, 2010 08:36 PM

Interesting thread. I have run into the same issues that have been mentioned here. Will have to try the stem side down deal and see how it works

matereater August 20, 2010 06:28 AM

stem side down.

BigdaddyJ August 20, 2010 08:56 AM

Wow I am a minority! LOL Is there evidence that keeping them stem down makes for better ripening? Or are they gonna ripen the same way at the same speed no matter how you place them on your table?

Sunsi August 20, 2010 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=BigdaddyJ;181374]Wow I am a minority! LOL Is there evidence that keeping them stem down makes for better ripening? Or are they gonna ripen the same way at the same speed no matter how you place them on your table?[/QUOTE]

I belong to your group, BigdaddyJ, never knew that I should put stem side down--great thread, btw. I'll start storing the tomatoes stem side down and see if there's difference I'd like to know if it improves ripening too.

ddsack August 20, 2010 10:17 AM

[quote]Wow I am a minority! LOL Is there evidence that keeping them stem down makes for better ripening? Or are they gonna ripen the same way at the same speed no matter how you place them on your table?[/quote]It's not going to affect the speed of ripening, but what you're avoiding is the physical squishing down on the soft bottom of the tomato which ripens faster than the stem end, especially for big heavy tomatoes. Flipping them upside down puts the pressure on the thick greener core/stem end.

Actually I do it both ways. If there are cracks that might get moldy without light and air, I store stem up, or even prop on their side. Or turn them now and then as I admire my take. :roll:

coloken August 20, 2010 10:39 AM

Oh my gosh. Here I am 81 years old and find out that I have been doing some thing wrong all my life. I promise to change, so that if one gets a little over ripe it will not make a mess on the table.
Kenny

<<<<< see my picture

ubergoober August 21, 2010 10:38 AM

I put them stem side down on the counter. I am not sure if it ripens anything better. But the tomatoes ripen bottom up so the bottoms tend to get soft first. So I just do it stem side down to protect the softer bottom.