Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Has anyone seen this before? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=8245)

bigbubbacain April 1, 2008 10:33 AM

Has anyone seen this before?

1 Attachment(s)
I certainly hope someone can Identify this problem. I've never had it on a tomato plant before. It almost looks like a fertilizer burn, but I've been vary careful with spraying and the stunted growth areas make me wonder about disease. I only have it on 5 of my plants, all which came from the same grower, sold at the same feed store in the Houston area. Hope someone can help with this, as I've got just enough time to find 5 replacements.

mdvpc April 1, 2008 11:48 AM

Bubba-I am not very good at disease diagnosis, but I wonder if its cucumber mosaic virus. Take a look at this link and see what you think:

[url]http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/tomatoproblemsolver/leaves/27.html[/url]

duajones April 1, 2008 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another photo of cucumber mosaic virus. Could also be herbicide drift

mdvpc April 1, 2008 01:05 PM

D-glad you thought of that-I agree it potentially is drift.

creister April 1, 2008 01:19 PM

Two out of the past 5 seasons, I have had that same symptom on some of my seedlings. I grew all of them at my house. I also thought it was cucumber mosaic virus, so I called the county extension office. They assured me that it was not in the area that they knew of.

I then figured it came from chemical drift, as there is quite a bit of agricultural land near Abilene, and west Texas wind . I also have a suspicion that they might have been given a virus from aphids. Some plants grew out of it and made many tomatoes(Noir De Crim) and some grew out and produced nothing (Super Sioux), and some got so bad, that I pulled them up. I haven't seen any plants do this yet this year.

You can try to grow them out, or just get some more if it is not too late to plant in your area.

amideutch April 1, 2008 01:34 PM

Bubba, what is the variety of the plant in your picture? Ami

gssgarden April 1, 2008 02:16 PM

I had the exact same problem with a plant two years ago. It was a Gregoris Altai (sp?) that I had in a 15 gal pot. I think I posted picks on GW and had gotten the same responses. I tried to assure the members who wrote back that there was no way it could have been caused by drift because it was in the middle of about 10 plants and I am always VERY careful with what/where I spray herbicides.
I'm curious to see if anyone here has an answer. It was they only time I'd seen that sort of thing.
The plant tried like heck to grow out of it but lost in the end. Not one fruit. They stayed small and hard.

Greg

rnewste April 1, 2008 02:30 PM

Had a similar "event" happen to all 24 tomatoes that I had hardening off in a container. Turned out that my son had used my drop spreader to do the grass with Scott's Weed and Feed, and the wind must have blown trace amounts into the container that day.

I was able to save all but one, as they eventually straightened up and became healthy again. Will NEVER do that again!! :no::no:

Ray

[IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/rnewste/IMG_3938.jpg[/IMG]

creister April 1, 2008 02:43 PM

Here in Texas, the agricultural extension agency does not recommend the use of any chemical weed and feed. The reason is not quite clear to me. The agent I talked said it is nasty stuff. He also said that if you apply it, get a good rain and high heat the next day, the chemical (herbicide) can vaproize, lift and be blown onto non target vegetation. He had seen several trees damaged in this way.

Both times this happened to me, some plants had this condition, others did not. In fact, the first year, I took some branches into the Ag. Ext. office and had the master gardener look at it. He did not know what the ailment was.

I still believe it comes from drift, or some pathogen passed by aphids. I say that because the years this has happened, I also saw aphids at the same time the plants were outside waiting to be transplanted. This year, I have kept them protected with row cover and haven't seen this, although I have seen aphids. Row cover would allow chemical drift to get to the plants though. Either way, it sucks to have that happen.

bigbubbacain April 1, 2008 09:57 PM

[quote=mdvpc;95248]D-glad you thought of that-I agree it potentially is drift.[/quote]

Thank you Duajones and Mdvpc!

I'm glad you two mentioned herbicide drift, because it really does have that withered up look. I haven't applied any herbicide since last fall, when I used Roundup and then waited a week before planting. I had to do it because of an uncontrollable weed problem.

Funny thing is, only five out of 24 plants are affected. The sick ones are mixed in. It's not as though there's one entire row or section that's affected.

I know it's not the Roundup from last fall, because that product will dissipate over time. I used my sprayer for Triple 20 fungicide about 1 1/2 months ago. That product dissipates in about a week or less.

The only thing I can figure is that my house backs up to the golf course, and I know that the maintenance crew has come by lately to do "spring cleaning" on the other side of my gate. (weeding, fire ants, etc.) There are other plants in my yard that aren't what they should be. My Shell Ginger has brown leaves. So does my Champaca tree.

I guess the real question is, should I replace the plants or let them pull out of it? They're far from dead, just stunted. I've had some success using humic acid products on my Red Oak tree to help it through Atrazine poisoning from my neighbor's use of Scott's Weed & Feed, so I'll give that a try. They're probably just gonna look awful for a while. Worst case scenario, if it's Cuke Mosaic Virus, I'll be able to see it spread to other plants and act accordingly. I doubt if this is it because I used 3 different bio-innoculant products from the seed tray, to transplant, to the growing bed. I guess I'll just hold my breath for now.

bigbubbacain April 1, 2008 10:17 PM

[quote=amideutch;95251]Bubba, what is the variety of the plant in your picture? Ami[/quote]

Ami:

The plant is Limmony. Also affected is Princ. Borghese, Giant Valentine, and Carbon. I'm just going to let them grow out of it, and not trim any of the suckers.

Worth1 April 1, 2008 10:20 PM

I know you wont do it but if you need replacements I have plenty to give you.

I am about to give the rest away as I don't want to plant anymore.:no:

That goes for the rest of you guys here in this area too

They are in good shape, very large in 4 inch pots.

It looks like a classic case of round up to me.:evil:

Worth

bigbubbacain April 1, 2008 10:32 PM

[quote=creister;95249]Two out of the past 5 seasons, I have had that same symptom on some of my seedlings. I grew all of them at my house. I also thought it was cucumber mosaic virus, so I called the county extension office. They assured me that it was not in the area that they knew of.

I then figured it came from chemical drift, as there is quite a bit of agricultural land near Abilene, and west Texas wind . I also have a suspicion that they might have been given a virus from aphids. Some plants grew out of it and made many tomatoes(Noir De Crim) and some grew out and produced nothing (Super Sioux), and some got so bad, that I pulled them up. I haven't seen any plants do this yet this year.

You can try to grow them out, or just get some more if it is not too late to plant in your area.[/quote]

Thanks Creister! I think I'll try to let them grow out and not trim the suckers. Otherwise, I'll never figure out how to deal with this. I honestly do not think it's a virus or any other pathogen because I use bio-innoculant products extensively. I have to, because I only have 2 raised beds to grow everything and I don't have the luxury of being able to practice crop rotation. There have been great break-throughs made with this technology. Virus problems have never been at the top of my list. It's always been the Fusarium Wilt. I use 3 products that help me control it. They are: Actinovate, MycoStop, and Rootshield. The first 2 are Streptomyces based innoculants, and the third is a Trichodona based product. I use MycoStop on the young seedlings. I use Actinovate to treat the growing area. I use Rootshield a week after transplanting. I did my homework on this. All of these are compatible, and I'm not having any signs of early blight, like I did last year. I'll just have to wait and see.

bigbubbacain April 1, 2008 10:36 PM

[quote=Worth1;95323]I know you wont do it but if you need replacements I have plenty to give you.

I am about to give the rest away as I don't want to plant anymore.:no:

That goes for the rest of you guys here in this area too

They are in good shape, very large in 4 inch pots.

It looks like a classic case of round up to me.:evil:

Worth[/quote]

OK, Worth. You got me hook, line, & sinker. I'm too darn co-dependent to pass up healthy tomato plants, especially from someone like you who knows what they're doing. What do you have, and how far do I have to drive to get them? I'll private message you.

Bubba

Worth1 April 1, 2008 11:10 PM

I have almost 70 types of plants and some ? plants.

I will post my list and you can look at it not all are still available but most are.

They really need a home.

506 Bush

Amana Orange
Aurora
Aunt ruby’s German green

Black
Black bear
Black pear
Black plum
Black cherry
Black Krim
Brandy wine