Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Cucumbers, What are you growing (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=4450)

duajones March 8, 2007 05:34 PM

Cucumbers, What are you growing

this spring? I have Diva and Boothby's Blonde in the ground and Poona Kheera and Lemon in containers.

shelleybean March 8, 2007 06:24 PM

I'm growing National Pickling because they did so well for me last year. I plan to use these for pickles but I like them for salads, as well. I, too, am growing Boothby's Blonde (recommended by Spudleaf Willie) and I am trying Muncher as a third variety.

Worth1 March 8, 2007 06:31 PM

I’m growing, Straight Eight, Market More 76, Lemon, and Sumter.
I’ve never grown Lemon and Sumter before, what are they like?

Worth

LoreD March 8, 2007 07:05 PM

I'm growing Beth Alpha, Lugissima, and Lemon this year.

Lored

Lilypon March 8, 2007 09:32 PM

Another two months to go but National Pickling, Market More 76, Poona Kheera and Diva will be going into the ground here.

duajones March 8, 2007 10:01 PM

First time for me on the Lemon as well Worth, cant tell you what its like but wanted to see for myself, thats why I am growing it.

mresseguie March 9, 2007 02:19 AM

Oh, boy. I know it'll be June before I can plant them, but my mouth is already drooling.

I'm planning to plant one of the Market More varieties. I'll plant a cuke that is popular in Taiwan. I'll hazard a translation as 'big cuke'. Also, I will plant a Japanese variety. It is long and thin. I do not know if it is the same cuke that is often sold as "Oriental Cucumber". The package is written entirely in Japanese except for one key word-CUCUMBER. Hmmm. I don't have to guess that part.

I also intend to grow a pickling variety for the first time, but I don't know which yet. I'll happily take suggestions.

Michael

Adenn1 March 9, 2007 06:22 AM

Going to try County Fair this year as bacterial wilt...via that darn cucumber beetle...killed most of my plants last year. County Fair is reportedly resistent to BW. Also trying Sweet Success, Eureaka and Lemon for first time. Returning from last year will be Poona Kheera and Marketmore 76.

And I told myself that I will be more consistent in the use of Daconil...the soggy weather last year also caused havoc with diseases.

MawkHawk March 9, 2007 08:19 AM

Market More 76 and some "burpless" variety, only because seeds were 1/2 off at the local nursery....

cdntomato March 9, 2007 08:47 AM

So far: Uzbekski, Poona Kheera, Lemon, Crystal Apple, Delcrow (an ancient award-winning Canuck liberated from a dark 'n dusty genebank), Early Morden (a Canuck pickler), Early Russian, Ukrainian and Parisian picklers. Probably an Armenian cuc/melon and a long English cuc type as well.

Jennifer, contemplating trellis options right now

feldon30 March 9, 2007 09:42 AM

County Fair does not produce the compound that cucumber beetles are attracted to.

A solution that was bandied about on GW was to take a plastic cup, squeeze the juice out of a regular cucumber (especially the rind), and then mix in some Sevin dust. The idea is that it should attract cucumber beetles and kill them.

montanamato March 10, 2007 09:03 AM

Growing NC Heirloom pickling for the 4th year...New ones this year are Armstrong Early Cluster and Delikatesse...
Picked up a pack of Eureka from a greenhouse last summer and they were really nice...If I ever was inclined to plant a hybrid again, I would get Eureka...Luckily nothing here bothers cucumbers or squash and they are always insect and wilt free...

Jeanne

bluelacedredhead March 10, 2007 10:16 AM

Early Russian, Lemon and something yardlong that's 'in the mail' . I'll probably have to trellis it up the outside of the dog kennel for the chipmunks to snack on. :(

johno March 10, 2007 05:50 PM

I'm trying Parisian Pickling this year. My father loves to make pickles every year, and his favorite is National.