Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Finally broke the 1 pound barrier (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40753)

Barb_FL April 18, 2016 08:52 PM

Finally broke the 1 pound barrier

3 Attachment(s)
I grow tomatoes in Earthboxes and Root Pouches. This is the first time I've had tomatoes weighing over a pound. All the tomatoes in the picture were grown in Root Pouches.

Can't see the weight, but the first tomato on the scale is Boronia (a dwarf project release - seeds from VictorySeeds.com) weight 1.45

Right picture is Orange Russian 117 - (there is even bigger ones on the vine), weighed in at 1.34. Seeds from TV member Pondgardener - Thank You George

Bottom picture is Summertime Gold - Didn't quite make the 1 lb but worthy nonetheless. Seeds were from 2014 MMMM swap - Thank you donator and Tormado.

pondgardener April 18, 2016 09:13 PM

Congratulations Barb on your prize tomatoes. I am happy to have played a small part in offering the seeds for the OR#117...have you sliced it yet? The others look great as well. I am envious that you have tomatoes already as I have just started seeds for mine just a day ago.:wait:

George in Colorado

rnewste April 18, 2016 09:25 PM

Barb,

Your tomatoes look great!! Must have been a real challenge to accomplish this feat in humid Florida.:yes:

Raybo

ginger2778 April 18, 2016 09:29 PM

Oh Barb. Nice! I get the 1 lb + ones in Earthboxes too, but they are the early part of the season, when its cooler. That dwarf is very pretty.

Ricky Shaw April 18, 2016 09:36 PM

Excellent! I know you've put in the work and it's good to see you rewarded. It's also very encouraging for me as a novice container grower.

The OR117 looks especially beautiful. I've got seedlings going from that same pondgardener stock and I'm excited about that too.

Barb_FL April 18, 2016 09:46 PM

Thanks everyone.

Forgot to mention, the red snowman shaped one is Wild Fred. 3rd time growing it so using my own seeds now. Seeds originally from Heritage.

[B]George[/B] - Haven't tasted it yet; After I picked it, I can see it needs a day or two to ripen further. Will leave the others on the vine. Had no idea it would get so big.

[B]Raybo[/B] - The weather has been cooperating so far; mid to high 60s in the night.

[B]Marsha[/B] - The only ones ripe in my Earthboxes are Juane Flamme. The others have a long way to go/grow first. Good to hear that you get 1+lbers from the EB. Maybe someday I will too.

[B]Ricky[/B] - I'm sure you will be equally rewarded with OR also.

ginger2778 April 18, 2016 10:00 PM

Barb- is your OR117 setting lots of fruit? Mine has been sort of a dud so far, but I just moved it to where it can get better sun. Kinda late in the season for me though. Those night temps are usually over 71-72 now. There's always next year. (Sigh)

MissS April 18, 2016 10:39 PM

Awesome! You should be proud of these. What was your secret?

luigiwu April 18, 2016 10:40 PM

Congrats Barb!! WOWZA!!

Imthechuck April 19, 2016 04:11 AM

congrats Barb!

kayrobbins April 19, 2016 06:41 AM

Barb, those all look great. You got me started using the root pouches and I have had great success with them. The things you learn are Tomatoville are amazing.

Al@NC April 19, 2016 08:48 AM

Great job! I'm growing Boronia this season also, great to see it has large tomato potential!

Al

Keowee April 19, 2016 09:14 AM

Hi Barb -- what size Root Pouches are you using for the dwarfs?

Ricky Shaw April 19, 2016 09:24 AM

Also the pouch size on the OR 117, and pruning. Thank you

Barb_FL April 19, 2016 10:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone!

[B]KEOWEE[/B] - Dwarfs are in 5 gallon Root Pouches, I have 1 or 2 in 3 gallon Root Pouches.

[B]RICKY [/B]- OR is in a 10 Gallon root pouch. The plant is kind of wispy, so pruning was really easy.

[B]KAY, KEOWEE, RICKY[/B] - I had much better success when I started elevating all my root pouches.

I've been using Root Pouches for several years; 2 seasons a year. I have them from 2,3,5,7,10, 15 gallon. 7 Gallon for tomatoes is my favorite.

After a few seasons, mine getting very mossy; like carpet. It doesn't seem to bother the plants; probably helps keep in moisture.

I used to buy the Brown Longest Lasting ones, but have bought the 4 years grey ones for growing dwarfs.

The First picture is a dwarf in 5 gallon; if you look on the right, you can see I will use anything to elevate.

The 2nd Picture is from my raised beds which I don't use for tomatoes due to nemotodes.

The 3rd picture is a 15 gallon root pouch sitting directly on a wooden pallet; but behind it, are 2 plants elevated on the wooden pallet.