Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   If she wrote a 2nd book, what hundred tomatoes would Carolyn.... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44452)

korney19 April 5, 2017 12:21 PM

If she wrote a 2nd book, what hundred tomatoes would Carolyn....

[B]I'd like to keep this thread separate from the [I]Carolyn's Book[/I] thread, which is around 34 pages!
[/B]
If she wrote a 2nd book, what hundred tomatoes would Carolyn select that are not in the original [100] book??? SOOO MANY new varieties, some claimed to be heirlooms, some bred from heirlooms, have been introduced since, not to mention ones she forgot or didn't have room for in the original book...

We've had an explosion of black, green, and blue varieties, plus interesting traits like the new dwarf varieties, multiflora cherries and saladettes, as well as all the striped varieties. There are also many new varieties from eastern Europe and beyond like German, Polish, Czech, Ukrainian, Russian, Siberian & other varieties

Which varieties would make it to a 2nd book? I believe Carolyn won't write a 2nd book nor list another 100 varieties, so feel free to make suggestions! Maybe she'll post some that didn't make it into the first 100 because of room, or maybe time constraints (none ripe at the time.) :yes:

TC_Manhattan April 5, 2017 12:53 PM

Aunt Gertie's Gold.:D

I believe it came out after her book went to print.

OzoneNY April 5, 2017 01:59 PM

Hawaiian Tropic tomato

schill93 April 5, 2017 02:33 PM

Is Hawaiian Tropic an heirloom? I was told it is a hybrid. Do you like the taste?

korney19 April 5, 2017 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=TC_Manhattan;629794]Aunt Gertie's Gold.:D

I believe it came out after her book went to print.[/QUOTE]

Excellent choice!

mecktom April 5, 2017 05:39 PM

Purple Dog Creek would be included.

MrsTwigg April 5, 2017 06:06 PM

Oh my. You know what they say about hypothetical questions. It's probably best for each of us to make our own lists. :)

As for Carolyn's (actual) book, I have a used copy sitting in my Amazon cart at the moment, and I'll be ordering it as soon as I can justify another plant-related purchase. I anticipate that it will be a treat of the highest order.

korney19 April 5, 2017 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=MrsTwigg;629832]Oh my. You know what they say about hypothetical questions. It's probably best for each of us to make our own lists. :)

[B]As for Carolyn's (actual) book, I have a used copy sitting in my Amazon cart at the moment,[/B] and I'll be ordering it as soon as I can justify another plant-related purchase. I anticipate that it will be a treat of the highest order.[/QUOTE]

^^^^At the moment, I have my copy on the hamper in the bathroom! I never get sick of browsing thru it!:))

wildcat62 April 5, 2017 07:31 PM

Great question.

Sun City Linda April 5, 2017 08:17 PM

Carolyn's book is SUCH a gold standard classic. I found it, (and her) shortly after I joined Tville. I have one copy I never tire of and another one I purchased new when you still could, I set it aside for safe keeping, just incase.....

Yak54 April 6, 2017 12:02 AM

Yes it certainly is a treasure, and very well done indeed ! :D

Dan

gssgarden April 6, 2017 10:02 AM

If you liked hers..you'll LOVE Craig's!! THE book to read!

korney19 April 6, 2017 10:26 AM

I think Virginia Sweets may make the list...maybe Zluta Kytice and Rose Quartz Multiflora too. Indian Stripe... for an oddity, Stick...

Sun City Linda April 6, 2017 10:34 AM

Maybe Barlow Jap? I have not grown it yet but it has quite the fan club.

Sun City Linda April 6, 2017 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=gssgarden;629969]If you liked hers..you'll LOVE Craig's!! THE book to read![/QUOTE]
I have it, and Amys too. But for me, Carolyns is THE ONE! :yes:

korney19 April 6, 2017 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=Sun City Linda;629974]Maybe Barlow Jap? I have not grown it yet but it has quite the fan club.[/QUOTE]

This will be my first time growing it!

Gerardo April 6, 2017 11:57 AM

Elgin Pink is worthy.

carolyn137 April 6, 2017 05:08 PM

I'm just seeing this thread for the first time and I'm not just smiling,nor giggling, I'm laughing out loud.:lol::lol::lol:

Of course it isn't going to happen,this afternoon my local MD was here, and asked if I'd considered moving to an assisted living place,just imagine what I told her.;)

And yes,I have grown many that some of you have suggested,after the book was published,and some have suggested that I write a book just about the histories of specific varieties I've grown.

I love one that was sent to me that goes for seed production to my seed producers,great history and for now called ....that old Russian one. And it was noted that when fruits drop to the ground that the critters just love them.:lol:

Carolyn

Merediana April 6, 2017 05:16 PM

Thanks to this thread I checked the price for Carolyns book again and FINALLY found a used version that doesn't cost me a fortune (it was around 60€ the last time I checked it, now it's less than 9€). Looking forward to it:D

mecktom April 6, 2017 06:10 PM

Money well spent.

psa April 6, 2017 08:01 PM

I bought Carolyn's book shortly after it was published and used it heavily to show people what I was growing and convince them these were regular tomatoes.

I often wished that I had sequels with another 100, and another 100, etc., but I guess that's what the internet is for now. :)

Still, with all of the varieties that Carolyn has trialed and released, it seems we missed out on an updated compendium of her favorites and/or most influential.

Deborah April 6, 2017 08:35 PM

Carolyn, you're too young and too cool. Tell her to take a hike.

IronPete April 6, 2017 09:39 PM

I'd love to see Tatiana write part 2 of that book. There are lots of really qualified people who could do it but none more qualified than her. Knowledgeable, generous with her knowledge, has grown a gazillion varieties, etc. etc. etc.

I'd like to know what heirloom tomatoes Tatiana would grow if she could only grow 100!

Anyone else out there as curious as I am?

Pete :)

korney19 April 6, 2017 11:09 PM

[QUOTE=Gerardo;629991]Elgin Pink is worthy.[/QUOTE]

You's here twisted my arm!:))

korney19 April 6, 2017 11:40 PM

[QUOTE=Merediana;630052]Thanks to this thread I checked the price for Carolyns book again and FINALLY found a used version that doesn't cost me a fortune (it was around 60€ the last time I checked it, now it's less than 9€). Looking forward to it:D[/QUOTE]

I didn't know it was available in paperback--my original book is hardcover--so I ordered a used paperback for $5.99 with free shipping, but that wouldn't help you, I see you are in EU....

korney19 April 6, 2017 11:57 PM

[QUOTE=gssgarden;629969]If you liked hers..you'll LOVE Craig's!! THE book to read![/QUOTE]

Thanks, I just ordered a "Like New" [I]Epic Tomatoes[/I] for $6.48 plus $3.49 postage!:cute:

amideutch April 7, 2017 02:30 AM

[URL]https://www.amazon.de/Heirloom-Tomatoes-American-Garden-Hawken/dp/0761114009/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1491546053&sr=8-1&keywords=100+Heirloom+Tomatoes+for+the+American+Garden[/URL]

Ami

Merediana April 7, 2017 09:42 AM

Ami, that's where I got it from (with shipping it's 8,71€) :D When I first read about Carolyns book there weren't any cheap versions available...

carolyn137 April 7, 2017 12:35 PM

[QUOTE=korney19;630124]I didn't know it was available in paperback--my original book is hardcover--so I ordered a used paperback for $5.99 with free shipping, but that wouldn't help you, I see you are in EU....[/QUOTE]

Mark, there never was a hard cover,just a flexible cover. Smith and Hawken had subcontracted to Workman Press in NY City to do four 100 whatever ones.

Mine was one, I know another was roses and I forgot the rest.

Carolyn

carolyn137 April 7, 2017 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=IronPete;630107]I'd love to see Tatiana write part 2 of that book. There are lots of really qualified people who could do it but none more qualified than her. Knowledgeable, generous with her knowledge, has grown a gazillion varieties, etc. etc. etc.

I'd like to know what heirloom tomatoes Tatiana would grow if she could only grow 100!

Anyone else out there as curious as I am?

Pete :)[/QUOTE]

Pete, I have known Tania from shortly after she and her husband and two boys,now adults, came to the US and settled in Canada.

She very quickly became aware of SSE and had and had and has many back issues of the Yearbooks.

When she started her database website as the years passed she asked for others to describe what they had grown and added their descriptions and asked for pictures if they would give their permission,and the original of those pictures is always noted..She also consulted her SSE Yearbooks for descriptions she used and if you look at a listing for many of her variety descriptions you'll see two names almost always reporting back, one is Jeff Fleming and the second is Neil L from Il,who is one if my now 7 seed producers. And of course she asked if they would do that.

She has also sourced seeds for many varieties from seed Co in Russia,and also her own mother in Russia.

But has she grown all that she describes from others?No can do. If you look at her listing for any variety she lists the Co that have it,and then to the right of that those that she is selling seeds for.

In the front of the 2017 SSE Yearbook there is a note from her offering her regrets that she can list nothing in the 2017 , usually it's several hundreds,due to a move to a new place.

What she doesn't mention is that she has some serious medical issues,but perseveres and never gives up. This is NOT confidential info that I'm sharing.

If you go to the Seed and Plant forum here at Tville and check out her website posts you'll see that many,from time to time are asking her how she's doing,and she answers when she can, and often it's when she's in the hospital.

I agree it would be great if she could list her own 100 faves over time,but I'd also love to see the following do the same.

Glenn Drowns at Sandhill Preservation
Neil L in IL
Bill M in Wisconsin
Al Anderson in OH.
Dale Thurber,now in Utah

The first 4 are long time SSE members, still living and active,ahem,whom I have known since about 1990 and I'm very impressed with what Dale is doing with his website since moving to Utah. Dale is a more recent SSE member, and I just checked and in the 2017 Yearbook is listing 456 tomato varieties along with many other kinds of crops.

I hope the above helps in some way,

Carolyn