Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Looking for a *small* dwarf for indoors. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=49924)

Greatgardens December 29, 2019 01:54 PM

Looking for a *small* dwarf for indoors.

I'd like to start a very small dwarf this January that still has "slicer" size tomatoes -- maybe 4 oz or so. Note that this is similar to the thread about BLT worthy micros, except I'm looking for a plant that could go up to 2 ft. It would be great if it is a pretty early variety. Can you think of any from the Dwarf Project that would fit this?

oakley December 29, 2019 03:10 PM

Limiting the pot size keeps them a bit smaller. I've grown them in one gallon grow
bags indoors. Last winter I grew dwarfMetallica and two cherry hybrids indoors. (and a bunch
of micros).
I've never tried topping them. That might speed things up(?)
Metallica is on the early side. But I've only grown a dozen varieties so not a lot of
comparison.
I have full south sun until the leaves fill out so that helps. And lights.
ArcticRose was early but medium in size.

What worked best was just giving a couple early hybrid cherries a big head start.

I have a few dozen plants going, planted a few weeks ago, but laking the time to tend this year.
I'm still game for it. Starting some peppers this weekend.
Dwarfs do not get lanky and out of control like indeterminates so even a head start will
give you some very early tomatoes.

Greatgardens December 30, 2019 01:52 AM

Thanks. I have started some early dwarfs for several years, but generally my earliest planting date has been early Feb. I'd like to beat that by more than a month, so will need to do some things a little differently. I have a couple of candidates in mind if I don't get some additional suggestions. "Linda" (Ukraine) would stay under two ft. but only produces 2-3 oz tomatoes. Dwarf Pink Passion is early and a fairly small plant (3-4 ft.), but a smaller plant would be better. I've also grown Dwarf Arctic Rose, and it is definitely smaller than DPP. That's another possibility. But still hoping for another early, two-ft candidate.

GrowingCoastal December 30, 2019 04:12 PM

Yukon quest was another one that stayed very short for me. Sweet with med sized fruit.

Hatgirl December 30, 2019 05:13 PM

Mega Bite / Megabyte was about 18 inches and had 3oz fruit. The fruit needed support on such a small plant. Nice flavour, I thought.

oakley December 30, 2019 05:28 PM

Might want to look at micros. Not the cascading but the upright. Most are 1-2ft.
I've been selecting for 10-12 inches. Though not many have fruit more than a
ping pong ball.

I would grow a dwarf you like and top it. I can't top since I'm still doing grow-outs for
unreleased varieties.

I'm doing grow-outs for two of Dan's crosses. Looking for a BLT sized micro.
Not sure if what you are asking exists. Dan is getting close.

Craig is in the process of moving but he might know something if he checks in.

natural January 1, 2020 06:10 AM

Bosky Chabarovsky was the shortest dwarf plant for me. It was very productive and had nice medium size fruit.

Bill

Greatgardens January 1, 2020 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=Hatgirl;751966]Mega Bite / Megabyte was about 18 inches and had 3oz fruit. The fruit needed support on such a small plant. Nice flavour, I thought.[/QUOTE]

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I see that Megabite is listed as both an OP and hybrid. (I'm an equal opportunity gardener. ;-) Which did you grow? I grew the hybrid, but too long ago to remember much about how it did.

Greatgardens January 1, 2020 12:56 PM

[QUOTE=natural;752038]Bosky Chabarovsky was the shortest dwarf plant for me. It was very productive and had nice medium size fruit.
Bill[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have some of those seeds from Heritage. But I see that some sources list it as having a "fuzzy" skin. Is the " fuzz" noticeable when eating it? Otherwise sounds like a good candidate.

clara January 1, 2020 01:51 PM

Do you know "Juni"? Mike from Ohio Heirloom Seeds keeps it, but if you are interested, you have to be quick - he does not have a lot of seeds!

natural January 1, 2020 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=Greatgardens;752054]Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have some of those seeds from Heritage. But I see that some sources list it as having a "fuzzy" skin. Is the " fuzz" noticeable when eating it? Otherwise sounds like a good candidate.[/QUOTE]

It is noticeable, but not intrusive to me. I do not recall that it was too thick or that it bothered me in any way. The flavor was much better than I expected.

Bill

Hatgirl January 1, 2020 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=Greatgardens;752053]Hi, and thanks for the reply. I see that Megabite is listed as both an OP and hybrid. (I'm an equal opportunity gardener. ;-) Which did you grow? I grew the hybrid, but too long ago to remember much about how it did.[/QUOTE]
Mine came from Kings Seeds so it was likely the F1, but they didn't specify

Greatgardens January 2, 2020 07:59 AM

I remembered that MegaBite F1 was bred by Vegetalis, so I did a little research at their web site. Long story short, it looks like MB will fit nicely with what I'm trying to do. Ordered some from Seeds 'n Such this morning. I'll also plant a couple of other varieties that I have on hand and see which ones stay small. I've got a compact white LED grow light that I think will help a lot since I don't get much sun where it has to grow. I'm eager to try this and see how it does! Thanks again for the suggestions!

Greatgardens January 7, 2020 01:57 PM

I purchased and have planted the MB seeds, and just read that it is a potato leaved plant! I also see some F2 hunting coming up!
-GG