Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Growing tomatoes in Austin, TX (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10294)

newgardener_tx February 6, 2009 11:50 AM

Growing tomatoes in Austin, TX

First I would like to thank one of the members here (Bill, also known as [URL="https://auth.gardenweb.com/members/hoosiercherokee"][COLOR=#0000ff]hoosiercherokee[/COLOR][/URL]) who generously offered me tomato seeds and directed me here. Secondly thanks to other people who sent me seeds. Lots of familiar IDs here. This is a great forum with tons of tomato information. Talk about tomato seeds addiction only after two years of trying growing them! I found so many texans here too! How-dy!

I am using nctomatoman's dense planting method to start my tomato seeds. I put about 10-30 seeds in each 4 inch cell two weeks ago and they are all out. I don't have a green house or lights set up in garage yet. I put them outside everyday (~sunny 70C). Is it OK to leave those young babies outside at night now? (40-50C nowadays in Austin). They don't have true leaves yet.

I also had problem to grow brandywine last year. 7 feet plants with flowers but no fruits in May-June. Any Austinites have similar or different experience? Should I try them again? Does KB and KBX work here? My favorite is cherokee purple which are very productive and flavorable. So I have great hope to their relatives--Cherokee green, Indian stripe, and JP's C spec Tex this year. I would like to grow large tomatos (1lb plus) which are easy to pick and three cherries (black cherry, sungold, sweet 10^6). Almost no mediums.

Thanks for sharing your tomato growing experience. Sorry for the first long post.
newgardener_tx:cute:

robin303 February 6, 2009 12:12 PM

Howdy, I live here in south Austin. My Brandywine Sudduth didn't do to well last year. My guess is the heat. I really try to grow nothing but the Cherries due to medium and up the birds get them.

Gobig_or_Gohome_toms February 6, 2009 01:53 PM

Welcome to Tomatoville!!!

feldon30 February 6, 2009 02:39 PM

[quote=newgardener_tx;119527]I put about 10-30 seeds in each 4 inch cell two weeks ago and they are all out. I don't have a green house or lights set up in garage yet. [/quote]
You're a little late, maybe 1 - 2 weeks late but it's being a very cold year so far. January 8-15th is the ideal time to start seeds.

[quote=newgardener_tx;119527] I also had problem to grow brandywine last year. 7 feet plants with flowers but no fruits in May-June.[/quote]
If evening temps are 40F+ then I'd try to plant as early as March 8th and be ready to protect them with blankets, sheets, row cover. Plants should hopefully be 10-12 inches tall at that point and ready to hit the ground running. If the soil is properly amended and fertilized, then most of your fruitset will happen at the end of March, early April.

In Houston, I got about a dozen tomatoes on my Brandywine which I will admit is pretty unusual. For a good -- although not as good as Brandywine -- pink beefsteak, I grow Gregori's Altai and get 20 tomatoes per plant.

[quote=newgardener_tx;119527]Does KB and KBX work here? My favorite is cherokee purple which are very productive and flavorable. So I have great hope to their relatives--Cherokee green, Indian stripe, and JP's C spec Tex this year. I would like to grow large tomatos (1lb plus) which are easy to pick and three cherries (black cherry, sungold, sweet 10^6).[/quote]
Sounds like some of my favorite varieties. ;)

KBX is probably one of the most productive golden/yellow tomato types for here. If you plant it out early enough then I think you'll get some good tomatoes. Suze got 40 KBX off one plant in a container in Elgin, TX last year.

I love Cherokee Purple, Indian Stripe, and JD's Special C-Tex and hope you will too. :)

Out of 30 plants, I got 6 tomatoes that were about or over a pound. I hope to get more large tomatoes this year. Suze got a lot of [URL="http://www.feldoncentral.com/garden/photos/v/memberphotos/suze/Spring+08/onepoundplus+005.jpg.html"]large tomatoes[/URL] in Elgin, TX.

P.S. I pick my tomatoes when they are just blushing.

ArcherB February 9, 2009 11:25 AM

I'm in Kyle Texas and this is my second year growing anything. I don't know if I should count last year, however, as I really only had one productive plant, a Bush Early Girl Hybrid. It produced like mad all summer no matter how hot it got.

This year, I'm trying all kinds of stuff:
Round One:
BrandyWine (Seed Packet)
Cherokee Purple
Marianna's Peace
Coyote Cherry
Black Cherry
Red BrandyWine
Roma (Seed Packet)

Round Two:
Sweet Million (Seed from last year)
Sun Gold (Seed packet)
Black Krim (Seed Packet)
Cherokee Purple (Seed Packet)
Pink BrandyWine (Seed Packet)
Celebrity Hybrid (Seed Packet) (for comparison purposes)

Those that are labeled "Seed Packet" came from a commercially purchased Seed Packet (thus the name). The rest came from someone who was kind enough to send me seeds in exchange for a SASE.

I planted the 30 seeds on Jan 13 in a 72 slot Jiffy Greenhouse that uses peat pellets (half of them anyway... Roma and above). Nearly all of them germinated, have been transplanted to peat pots and are in the process of hardening off. I had to put them back under the lights today as it is raining and I don't want them drowning in the tray I use to carry them around. I plan on putting at least three in the ground as soon as I have time and can get the bed ready. I chose three because I have three WOW's.

I started a second round on Feb 2 that includes those tomatoes below "Roma" as well as cilantro, basil, acorn squash and pomegranate. All the tomatoes and basil have sprouted and the cilantro is just starting to come up.

I'll let you guys know how each one does as the year goes on. I will also be extremely interested in knowing how [I]yall's[/I] do as that will be a big help in knowing what to do for next year and the years that follow.

Vince February 10, 2009 12:20 AM

newgardener,

Is JP's C spec Tex a new variety derived from JD's Special C-Tex? If so what is its description, color leaf type, flavor etc. Sounds interesting.

veggie babe February 10, 2009 01:06 AM

welcome,
there's tons of information on this forum, i have learned so much. as you can see i am still considered a newie. it will be an exciting time.:yes:
good luck,8-)

neva

feldon30 February 10, 2009 11:03 AM

[quote=Vince_chemist;120010]newgardener,

Is JP's C spec Tex a new variety derived from JD's Special C-Tex? If so what is its description, color leaf type, flavor etc. Sounds interesting.[/quote]
LOL. Obviously a slight unintentional mangling of the name. ;)

ArcherB February 10, 2009 11:37 AM

I hate to venture off topic, but does anyone know where I can pick up[FONT=&quot] JD's Special C-Tex seeds?[/FONT][B][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/B]

newgardener_tx February 10, 2009 11:41 AM

typo

:lol: Vince,
Sorry the name is a typo. The correct name is JD's special C-Tex.

Worth1 February 10, 2009 11:50 AM

Welcome,

I live in Bastrop and have put out plants from mid February too mid March.
You never know what will do well but the early/mid season and smaller tomatoes will give you a much better yield.
I'm still working on what dues best consistently here.

So many to chose from.
Worth

newgardener_tx February 10, 2009 02:12 PM

Thank you all for all the good information. My tomato plants from seeds are starting to put out first set of true leaves. I have left them outside for a week. The weekend wind may have given them some hard time. All the stems are kind of purple. Do this mean they are hardened or they are stunned?
ArcherB, I have several JD's special C-tex plants. I can share with you one or two plants when they grow a little bit taller. Or you can wait for me to harvest seeds for your next year garden:)
New gardener

ArcherB February 10, 2009 03:19 PM

Re New Gardener:

You've Got Mail!

Also, I don't think the wind is bad for the plants. For that matter, people actually put fans on their seedlings because it thinkens the stems, making the plant sturdier. So, the wind should have been a good thing.

As for the purple stems, that is the Tomato Eggplant Stem Virus (TESV). OK, I'm kidding. I don't know what the purple stems are from. It could just be normal for that particular type of tomato. I've heard of cold weather causing purple veins in the leaves or causing leaves to turn purple-ish (a few of mine did it earlier this year). I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Edit Three!
Here's a link from another forum about purple stems:
[url]http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1923[/url]

Here's one from this site:
[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=4988&highlight=purple+stems[/url]

newgardener_tx February 10, 2009 03:56 PM

ArcherB,
Thanks for the TESV scare! Just replied your mail.

Worth1 February 10, 2009 07:00 PM

Look guys the purple stems are caused by the cool weather not allowing the plant to take up phosphorus and or potash.when it warms up it will go away.
my plants are purple every year because they stay cold all of the time.
The wind is good too as long as it doesn't blow the plants away.:)

Worth