Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Rounding up this years seeds (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=51761)

crunch1224 February 26, 2024 06:15 AM

Rounding up this years seeds

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Been minute since I posted so I figured might as well.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Lately I have been using Etsy for some of my seed source, and :x wow the struggle is real :?!?:. I have had to get two refunds so far due to no delivery. This was after I waited over two weeks for delivery... So almost a month in wasted time... Not is all lost though. I received about 95% of my seeds in total from other vendors, so my garden will still be mostly what I wanted to grow and im not held at the mercy of what I can get at local green houses.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Chicago pickling cucumber seeds has been a pain in the butt to source out a reputable place. Maybe im just to cautious :)).
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]If all goes well I will be growing Chicago, Boston, National pickling cucumbers this season. I grew Marketmore 76 last year and the taste after pickling was excellent but the crispness wasnt enough for me.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]I am reducing the different variety's of peppers this season to just a few types. The family cant handle the heat like I can and I way over produced. So I was kinda stuck with a mountain of peppers taking up space in the freezer. I managed to can (pickle) a ton of them, but still had half a freezer full. I will be growing mostly Jalapenos and some other mild peppers. I will grow a couple cayenne's because I like putting them in my pickles when I can them.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]I am also reducing the different variety's of tomato's im growing this year as well. I changed up how I can my tomatoes last year and wow using slicers to make marinara sauce uses up a ton of tomatoes. So this year I am growing mostly paste tomatoes. La Roma III, Giant Garden paste, Hungarian Heart (its a oxheart), for my sauces, and a few slicers. I originally had 12 different types of paste tomatoes picked out but settled on 2. I usually dont grow any paste tomatoes so this year will be a learning year. I will be Florida weaving the La Roma III and planting them around 2' apart. They are determinate and grow to about 3' tall. The rest will be caged.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Im sticking with Bluelake 274 for my green beans. I love these green beans to death :D. They need a little dirt pushed up on them as they grow to keep them standing but thats not to much of a hassle. My plants get so heavy with beans its nuts.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]Last year I went nuts with the zucchini, so this year im cutting way back. My god I had so many:panic:. Im growing Black Beauty and Genovese zucchini this year. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=3]The rest of the garden is herbs and a few odds and ends like Okra, garlic ect... Hope everyone is doing well out there. I hate winter and im glad spring is almost here:D. [/SIZE][/FONT]