Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Big Beef! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44338)

Deborah March 24, 2017 03:22 PM

Big Beef!

Today I bought my very first Big Beef! I'm so thrilled! It was $2.99 at my favorite garden center. I'll plant it in a huge bag of organic potting mix. My very first Big Beeeeeeeef!

Gardeneer March 24, 2017 06:11 PM

Deborah, I hope you have success with it.
It is a good tasting, relatively early hybrid with good disease resistance.
After losing a couple of them to freeze and grafting experiment I have 2 more left.
In fruit shape and size you can compare it to Big Boy and Better Boy. .

bigpinks March 24, 2017 07:18 PM

but at least three times the productivity in my garden

Nan_PA_6b March 24, 2017 10:24 PM

Great, Deborah! It's the favorite of my mother and sister for taste. An all-around good tomato.

SteveP March 25, 2017 09:19 AM

I grew Big Beef for my first time last year and it outperformed every other variety I grew. More fruit, excellent taste and very little disease. I am going to up the number of Big Beef in my garden this year. I hope you have the same results.

Sun City Linda March 25, 2017 09:57 AM

I keep meaning to grow it, have seed but there are always other priorities. I did grow it once a few year back and agree that it is a good one! Growing Mexico Midget for the first time this year, isn't that one of your favs Deborah?

Hudson_WY March 25, 2017 10:52 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Good decision Deborah! You have a lot to look forward to this tomato season!!

NarnianGarden March 25, 2017 03:38 PM

Your pictures are always beautiful, Hudson. Professional and artistic at the same time!

I'm also trying to grow this variety (no germination yet), and am curious after reading so much praise about it.. Usually I prefer growing heirlooms / OPs, but I wanted to be fair and give it a chance to shine..:cute:

Hudson_WY March 25, 2017 06:17 PM

Thanks for the compliments NarnianGarden! I'm in your camp NarnianGarden but if I hadn't done the same thing you are - I would never have found Brandy Boy! Big Beef is a great choice for a lot of gardens. It certainly did well for us and we highly recommend it. Now we are off to give another variety a chance. Brandy Boy, BW Sudduth and Sweet 100 have become our regulars but this year we are trialling BW Cowlicks and Gardner's Delight. We usually trial a Hybrid too but that didn't happen this year because of the Dwarf Project commitment.

AlittleSalt March 25, 2017 06:34 PM

I have two big beef plants out in the garden. We have never tasted them. Everything I've read about them is that they are very good.

Hellmanns March 25, 2017 06:41 PM

I grew Big Beef the year it was released, it became a favorite of mine and my customers. No telling how many umpteen thousands of pounds I've produced and sold since 1994.

Deborah March 25, 2017 06:57 PM

Thanks everyone! It's my first because I just have a small balcony. Linda, I've never grown MM but I sure would if I could. Hudson, great to see the lovely pictures! I can hardly wait for the day when I taste my first BB!

NarnianGarden March 25, 2017 07:07 PM

I'm also waiting for my Brandy Boy to germinate, so hopefully there will be plenty of BB's this season :lol:

Gardeneer March 25, 2017 07:30 PM

I am also growing both of those BB's.
I like Br. By better in taste and size of fruits. Both of them are also relatively early Early to mid season ). Now Brandywine Sudduth will be put on test.

Deborah March 25, 2017 07:40 PM

Oops. From now on I won't use BB for Big Beef. How about Big Beeeeeeef? Because I'm sooooooooo happy to get one!