Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Familiar with Detskiy Sladkiy Tomatoes? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28521)

FisherPrice June 8, 2013 04:25 PM

Familiar with Detskiy Sladkiy Tomatoes?

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]I picked up a couple of Early Girl plants at the local greenhouse here in Fairbanks. And when I got home I noticed that I accidently grabbed a Detskiy Sladkiy plant as well. I cant find much on these other than they are Russian, and the name means sweet for children. Is anyone familiar with these tomatoes?

Thanks!
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Heritage June 8, 2013 07:40 PM

FisherPrice,

This is my first year growing it also. It is a determinate, heavy production of what looks to be small tomatoes. Very good early fruit set. I set it out late with several other Russian determinates to compare flavor. I haven't had a chance to taste any yet, but the good early production was impressive and I think it should make a good Alaskan tomato. I'm curious to hear how yours performs, and also any feedback from other growers. I am always looking for alternatives to Early Girl for my parents in Montana.

Steve

FisherPrice June 8, 2013 10:23 PM

Thanks! I asked the greenhouse I got them from about the Detskiy Sladkiy plants and they told me that they are grown localy by a russian in Fairbanks. He provided the seeds. It is the first year that they have had them so they did not have much information other than early producers well suited for Alaska.. Where are your parents in Montana? I grerw up in Great Falls.

Heritage June 8, 2013 10:35 PM

I received my seeds from user simmran1 (Randy) and I think his source was also somewhere in Alaska but I'd have to check our correspondence to be sure.

My parents are in Kalispell and that's where I grew up. I couldn't decide to go north or south, I decided on south.:)

MrBig46 June 9, 2013 02:29 AM

[QUOTE=FisherPrice;354565]Thanks! I asked the greenhouse I got them from about the Detskiy Sladkiy plants and they told me that they are grown localy by a russian in Fairbanks. He provided the seeds. It is the first year that they have had them so they did not have much information other than early producers well suited for Alaska.. Where are your parents in Montana? I grerw up in Great Falls.[/QUOTE]

Something about Detskij sladkij is on this web (estonish).
Vladimír
[url]http://www.seemnemaailm.ee/rus/index.php?GID=13753[/url]

simmran1 June 9, 2013 03:26 AM

FisherPrice,

Could have been grown by Kurt Wold of Fairbanks. A Seed Savers Exchange member whom I requested/received seeds of Detskiy Sladkiy. I am growing 4 (healthy) plants of D.S. myself, plus grew & distributed many more at our gardening club's plant sale.

Where normally I trial grow before growing for plant sale, I had actually tasted (many) while on an Alaskan cruise, so I felt confident local gardeners would be impressed with an early with fine flavor. Fortunately they survived 12.5" of rain & 50 MPH winds 10 days ago from the storms that came up from OK. -Randy

akgardengirl August 7, 2013 04:25 PM

How are the Detskiy Sladkiy doing? Sherry gave me a plant that she started from seed and the production is great. So far, I haven't picked all that many that have blushed but if they all start turning ripe at once, I'll be giving them away!
Sue B.

FisherPrice August 8, 2013 12:16 AM

Doing great

My kitchen sink window sill is full of tennis ball size fruit. The weather in Fairbanks has been rather warm so the growing season has been great. Working on the other hand has been hell.:))

Andrey_BY August 8, 2013 12:28 AM

I've sent Detskiy Sladkiy tomato seeds to Kurt Wold 4 or 5 years ago. Yes, it is a good early choice for Alaska. Deteminate,quite tasty and productive, big cherry size. Russian CV from my collection.

akgardengirl August 8, 2013 12:58 AM

My fruits are tennis ball size also Fisher Price. We've had a great run this summer with the weather. It's raining down here but I guess we need it and I hope it ends soon. I dread when the slugs come out. Thanks Andrey for getting the seeds to Alaska!
Sue B.

Nan_PA_6b September 12, 2017 10:36 AM

Seems folks got 2 different sizes of fruit from this one. I want the tennis balls! How do they taste?

Nan

Lindalana September 12, 2017 01:40 PM

They are pretty good, container type det plant. Grew them last year. I think it was about golf ball size and decent production.