Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Galina's Yellow x Grub's Mystery Green F2 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=9781)

Raymondo November 18, 2008 09:08 PM

Galina's Yellow x Grub's Mystery Green F2

Five F2s planted out. All are from the #2 F1 plant. From this cross, we should be able to isolate a nice largish yellow (colour from Galina's Yellow and size from Grub's Mystery Green) and a green cherry (colour from Grub's Mystery Green and cherry habit from Galina's Yellow). I'm looking forward to this one.

Raymondo December 4, 2008 05:57 AM

The five are now about 30cm (1') tall, blossoming and very healthy. I'll post some pics in a day or so.

PNW_D December 4, 2008 08:44 AM

Watching this one closely Ray - thought it worth mentioning that I am still eating fresh tomatoes off my GxGMG:shock:

Happened to be out in the "back forty":lol: the other day and noticed a few of the green ones (I didn't have the heart to pull the plant) had started to ripen - brought them inside and within a few days had a wee taste of fresh picked tomatoes once again. Considering our weather (cool, wet) I was surprised at the still yummy flavour.

Raymondo December 5, 2008 02:17 AM

Here's one of the little beauties:

[img]http://www.feldoncentral.com/garden/photos/d/12837-2/gyxgmgf2dec08.jpg[/img]

The others look almost identical.

tessa December 7, 2008 08:12 AM

looks great, ray.
really interested in hearing how these turn out.
it's fascinating to think that it can produce both large fruit...and also cherries.
wow.
mind boggling.

Raymondo January 17, 2009 04:31 PM

Time for an update. The five plants continue to power ahead ignoring the disease problems of their patch partners. One appears to have cherry type fruit and the others are beefsteak types though all rather small.
Of all my tomatoes this year, these have been the least trouble and in fact have done very well. Looking forward to trying the ripe fruit.

PNW_D January 17, 2009 05:31 PM

Good news re hardiness of this one Ray, let's hope the flavour stays with F2 .....

And, just to keep everything together, here's how my 2008 grow out of F1 progressed

[URL]http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/index.php/Galina%27s_Yellow_X_Grub%27s_Mystery_Green[/URL]

akgardengirl January 17, 2009 08:00 PM

I can't wait to see how well it does in Alaska this season. It will be great if it produces as good as Galina does here. I did not do so well (like nothing!) with Grub's MG but it was an exceptionally poor summer.
Sue

Raymondo March 3, 2009 07:07 AM

All five plants have now given up their fruit for tasting and seed. No pics I'm afraid.
#1 - medium golden yellow beefsteak with mild but pleasant flavour
#2 & #3 - small golden yellow globes, bigger than a cherry, good tomatoey flavour. The first outproduced the second but not by much and flavour was the same.
#4 - a small to medium flattish green globe with amber skin. Quite tart flavour.
#5 - small green globes with amber skin, very pleasant sweet/acid balance. Bigger than a cherry.
So, we got close to the two objectives - a tasty yellow beefsteak and a tasty green cherry. I'd like to grow #1 & #5 for a couple of seasons to see what eventuates. If we get no closer to the goals I would suggest a couple of backcrosses: #1 x GMG in an attempt to bring some of GMG's great flavour into a yellow beefsteak and #5 x GY to get the cherry size.

Lee March 3, 2009 07:31 AM

Great job Ray. Looks like you've got a couple of winners there. You may find that flavor still lurks in the F3 or even F4
generation for #1. At least that was my experience when
growing out F4s and later from Craig's F3 growouts of his line that produced Lucky Cross/Little Lucky.

Lee

PNW_D March 10, 2009 08:55 AM

Ray,

Just curious, did any of the above ripen earlier than the rest?

Raymondo March 12, 2009 08:28 AM

I agree Lee. Lots could be lurking in these tomatoes. Flavour is such a difficult one as you know. First of all it's personal perception, then of course the environment plays a significant role.

Yes D, the yellows all ripened before the greens. #2 just beat #1 and #3, then came #4 and bringing up the rear was #5. Even so, it was a pretty close race. I find that in my shortish season everything tends to ripen together anyway so we're not talking many days here.

akgardengirl August 23, 2009 05:34 PM

My Grub's x Galinas are starting to ripen fast now. So far my results for plant #1 are consistent with Ray's --bright yellow/gold, small beefsteak shape and light taste. Plant #2 (2 ea.) are green when ripe with slight amber blush, round shape, green seed gel and the taste is very good. All 3 plants have been productive.
Sue

Sherry_AK August 23, 2009 06:53 PM

I have 2 of these plants yet to produce ripe fruit. I'm thinking it's possible the last two might be green when ripe. I've posted my updates and photos (incorrectly) on the F1 thread. Oops!

So far the yellows have been very productive and all with good taste.

Sherry

akgardengirl August 23, 2009 07:12 PM

I should add that the amber blush is mostly around the base of the tomato. Yes Sherry, give those green ones a squeeze as mine stayed green even when even sitting for about 5 days in the house. My #2 fruits fit Ray's description of his #5's.
Sue