Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Why plant pepper plants close together(groups)?? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=26943)

socalgardengal March 7, 2013 01:51 PM

Why plant pepper plants close together(groups)??

This is my first time growing peppers and I have read in a few posts about people planting peppers in groups. Why is this done and is it done by varieties or does it matter? Thanks for the info.

Fred Hempel March 7, 2013 02:03 PM

We plant peppers close together so they can support each other. I think it is also done because they often don't get very big.

Redbaron March 7, 2013 02:59 PM

That is correct Fred. For support but also peppers are a plant that likes its roots in shade its fruit in high humidity and its tops in sun...So it likes the microclimate of crowded conditions as long as they don't shade them out. That's why I prefer low growing companions there too. With peppers it's all about the micro climate around each plant.

socalgardengal March 7, 2013 03:19 PM

Interesting! So it's ok to plant sweet and hot peppers next to each other?? And how close to each other should they be? Thanks :)

Redbaron March 7, 2013 03:46 PM

[QUOTE=socalgardengal;332565]Interesting! So it's ok to plant sweet and hot peppers next to each other?? And how close to each other should they be? Thanks :)[/QUOTE]well it depends on the variety but last year I planted mine 18 inches apart in staggered rows one foot apart forming a zig zag pattern and also grew several companions like basil cilantro tarragon etc between that. It was very tight.

Here is a nice vid showing pepper tightly packed. Not as tight as mine were, but still pretty close. She uses a slightly different system with the "companions" being the weeds growing between the rows and not herbs growing right in the rows. But I suspect it has a similar effect on the micro climate. She also uses black plastic to warm the soil, which is because she is way up in Montana and I am way down here in Oklahoma so I use paper and mulch to keep the soil cooler. But in any case you can get an idea.[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJk4R1xpMC8&list=PLmwY2K-O1lmUmMwoyjfZ8kkEAHqMy-olT"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJk4R1xpMC8&list=PLmwY2K-O1lmUmMwoyjfZ8kkEAHqMy-olT[/URL]

socalgardengal March 7, 2013 05:16 PM

Thank you Scott and Fred for the info. Very informative video! I think I'm beginning to understand now :)

Masbustelo March 8, 2013 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I plant mine about ten inches apart. I am not sure why, but over the years I have observed that they do better, planted close. I thought it might have to do with pollination, but shading the roots is an interesting theory. Be sure to stake them, otherwise when the soil is saturated and it is windy they get blown over. It is good to mulch them as well. In a way the closer they are planted the higher will be your yield because the plant canopy fills 100% of the space, which is a very efficient use of space.

Rideau Rambler March 8, 2013 12:28 PM

Thank you so much for the excellent info! I currently have way too many successful pepper seedlings so I was wondering about density and shading and voila! your posts :)

WVTomatoMan March 12, 2013 12:08 PM

Not to rain on anyone's parade or anything, but the downside of growing peppers closely together is that there is higher chance of crossing. When I planted my peppers further apart the crossing wasn't as bad. Also note that peppers can outcross. Of course accidental crossing is only an issue if you save seeds.

Good luck.

Randy

RebelRidin March 12, 2013 07:28 PM

Planting closer can also help shade some fruts and reduce sunscald.

socalgardengal March 12, 2013 09:33 PM

I think I'll group a few and have some in pots to compare :)

matereater March 13, 2013 08:08 AM

Scott, thanks for posting that video, very interesting and informative!

WVTomatoMan March 18, 2013 08:43 AM

An advantage to growing peppers closely together is to provide shade to the fairly shallow root system that peppers have. With no mulch or shade from other plants notice how quickly pepper plants will wilt in hot dry weather.

Randy

Wi-sunflower March 18, 2013 09:22 AM

Something not mentioned so far is to consider the heritage of the class of pepper you want to grow. By heritage I mean where did a type of pepper develop -- coastal islands or mountain foothills. It will make a big difference in how they grow and what conditions they do best in.

Most varieties in the Habanero family came from the Caribbean islands and the Yucatan where it's warm most of the time and very little day to nite temp difference. They will do best in your hotter areas.

Varieties like the Anchos came from the mountain foothills. They gennerally don't tolerate high temps as well. They also like cool nites or rather a nice temp difference between day and nite. If you have a hot summer with high humidity where the temps hardly drop at nite you will get lush plants but few fruit till the temp moderates in fall. By then there is not enough time for them to mature. They might do better if you can plant them in partial shade, especially afternoon shade.

Just some info gleaned from about 20 years of growing over 100 varieties of various hot chiles in Wisconsin.

Carol

Gavriil March 18, 2013 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ya also grow them close together if ya have limited space and want a whole bunch of peppers for powder or whatever