Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Baby Watermelons (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15090)

frozengirl July 2, 2010 03:26 AM

Baby Watermelons

1 Attachment(s)
Early Canada
Shining Lights
Early Moonbeam
Katanya
Blacktail

Sherry_AK July 2, 2010 12:45 PM

Wow! Very nice. I never tried watermelon.

discrepancy July 2, 2010 12:50 PM

So cute!

Sherry, you are missing out. Cold watermelon on a hot summer day is heaven.

Sherry_AK July 2, 2010 12:58 PM

Oops! I should have said I've never tried [B]growing[/B] watermelon. I have a store-bought one in the fridge right now! I would not have guessed they would be a successful crop here in Alaska.

And I sure do wish for that hot summer day!!!!

Sherry

akgardengirl July 2, 2010 12:59 PM

I'm wondering how you are growing that cute watermelon? Is it in the gh or outside?
I am in awe! Discrepancy, we haven't had too many "hot" days here at all in Alaska.
Sue

Timmah! July 2, 2010 01:00 PM

Should have come on down to Kentucky during June: We just had the hottest June in Louisville since they began keeping records in the 1800's.

Sherry_AK July 2, 2010 01:01 PM

[quote=Timmah!;175016]Should have come on down to Kentucky during June: We just had the hottest June in Louisville since they began keeping records in the 1800's.[/quote]

I was in KY last July. No thanks! (Actually I was born in KY, but I know you can't tell from my accent! Ha! Haven't lived there since I was 3, and that was a long, long, long time ago.)

Sherry

frozengirl July 2, 2010 08:55 PM

They are in the greenhouse.

recruiterg July 3, 2010 09:04 AM

Do you grow the plants on a trellis or do they sprawl? How much space do they take up?

frozengirl July 3, 2010 02:50 PM

These are on a trellis with two Rubbermaid bins at its base.

Idahowoman August 30, 2010 02:04 PM

Frozengirl,
I live in zone 4 in Idaho.
I had heard that watermelon wouldn't grow well in a greenhouse. After seeing your pictures I am going to try it next year. It would be nice to actually get a watermelon bigger than the size of a cantaloupe.

SunnyK August 30, 2010 02:22 PM

Hey...how did those melons turn out?? I tried growing melons in containers this year. They got to be about the size of baseballs and that is where they have stayed and look like they are not going to budge another ounce, LOL!! I am going to try again next season but I will put them in the ground....if they dont do it for me next year then it is store bought melon all the way !!

Barbee August 30, 2010 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am growing giant watermelons this year. Here is a pic of my biggest one so far. His name is Tank :)

SunnyK August 30, 2010 08:44 PM

[QUOTE=Barbee;182663]I am growing giant watermelons this year. Here is a pic of my biggest one so far. His name is Tank :)[/QUOTE]

Wow...that is one mean melon you have there.....how do you keep the squirrels from it????

frozengirl August 30, 2010 09:27 PM

Shining Lights did great but its a smaller melon anyway. Everything else became a casualty of the pumpkin in the picture. It was vicious. The bottom of my bins have big holes and allow roots to travel. The biggest one I have ever grown was Saskatchewan planted in the greenhouse floor. Next year I am going to try planting them in a raised bed outside with a plastic enclosure. Cantaloupe planted at the ends of the cucumber row did better.