Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Other Veggie Seeds..Where do you go?? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=30910)

gssgarden February 2, 2014 03:34 PM

Other Veggie Seeds..Where do you go??

Just curious to know where you guys get your other veggie seeds such as lettuce, dukes, radishes, beans, etc.

I was looking at a catalog I'm sure we're all familiar with when I saw the price of organic cucumbers..Holy Moley!! I couldn't believe the price!!

this particular place is the most expensive by far!

Tomatoes I go to Tomato Growers for most.
Beans I go to Vermont Bean

Looking to freshen up my lettuce, bean, soy bean, carrot, cucumber, and maybe cantaloupe. :)

WON'T do Parks or Burpee. Just bad luck with them in the past.

BTW..Does anyone know a REALY spicy radish?? :) I usually grow Salad Rose, which I love!!

Thanks

Greg

Worth1 February 2, 2014 03:40 PM

I get the rest of my seeds from the feed store.
You might try this radish.
Worth

[url]http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CF8QFjAL&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seedsofchange.com%2Fquickfacts.aspx%3Fc%3D9668%26cat%3D177&ei=uKzuUrXsJ8T4yQHxyoGIDQ&usg=AFQjCNFhZJk3I_16xLEz-MS0n518geAlGA&bvm=bv.60444564,d.aWc&cad=rja[/url]

Labradors2 February 2, 2014 03:42 PM

I bought tomato seeds and other veggies seeds from Fedco last year and was happy with them.

Linda

FarmerShawn February 2, 2014 03:46 PM

Fedco is where I get my basics. Only if Fedco doesn't have a variety I want will I order from someone else, although I usually order from at least 6 others.

shelleybean February 2, 2014 04:00 PM

I use Southern Exposure, Victory and Heirloom Seeds for most, and Vermont Bean for most of my beans and peas.

tlintx February 2, 2014 04:01 PM

I like The Sample Seed Shop and Nichol's Nursery.

I'm hoping to get an order in soon for Southern Exposure, too -- they have lots of interesting varieties and the prices are very reasonable. I just know I should be able to grow roselle in my climate!

matilda'skid February 2, 2014 04:02 PM

Sandhill Preservation Center. They don't update their on-line catalog so you have to ask for a catalog. Once you order from them you get the catalog in the mail in January. The prices are reasonable and the shipping is only $2 or free if you order over $20 worth. You can't order on-line but that doesn't bother me. What I hate is expensive shipping for seeds.

lefolly February 2, 2014 04:26 PM

Morgan County Seeds is one I really like, they send a large quantity of seeds for a low price, they also carry masterblend fertilizer that's becoming popular with hydroponic growers.
Another Is Trade Winds Fruit if you're looking for something offbeat or interesting.

gssgarden February 2, 2014 04:44 PM

I've got some searching to do before the game!!

Thanks,

Greg

gssgarden February 2, 2014 04:45 PM

Worth, Have you grown that radish??

Greg

gssgarden February 2, 2014 05:10 PM

Victory seems good!!

Man, they have ALOT of Soy Beans to choose from!! Love me some Edamame!!

Thanks Guys! will keep looking!

Greg

Pappi February 2, 2014 05:23 PM

For other than tomatoes I really like High Mowing, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, and Johnny's. I've also been quite happy with Territorial and Bountiful Gardens in the past.

habitat_gardener February 2, 2014 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=matilda'skid;389537]Sandhill Preservation Center. They don't update their on-line catalog so you have to ask for a catalog. Once you order from them you get the catalog in the mail in January. The prices are reasonable and the shipping is only $2 or free if you order over $20 worth. You can't order on-line but that doesn't bother me. What I hate is expensive shipping for seeds.[/QUOTE]

Me too! And Sand Hill sends generous amounts of seed, too. They do update the online catalog eventually, but the paper copy gets sent out first. iirc, you don't get the catalog any longer if you haven't ordered for a couple years.

I have fairly small gardens so the shipping can be a significant chunk of the total for most seed companies. I especially love to try new-to-me beans and greens, so I look at all the seeds I already have and then try to limit myself to 2 mail orders per year. This year it was Sand Hill Preservation and Solstice Seeds in Vermont. Last year it was Fedco. Other places have included Sample Seed Shop and Bountiful Gardens. I've been tempted by Southern Exposure, Wild Garden Seeds, Trade Winds, and Peace Seeds.

I also find seeds at local garden shops, nurseries, community gardens (open houses), garden-related meetings, an annual garden show, etc.

reddeheddefarm February 2, 2014 06:11 PM

We have grown that and the Nero Tondo radish (closely related) and they get to the soze of a baseball. THe Nero Tondo bite is in the skin and they both have good flavor. Neither get pithy but they will get woody if left in the ground to long. If you let them go
to seed the seedpods have a great flavor.

mecktom February 2, 2014 06:16 PM

I like Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, TGS, Sample Seed Shop, Blue Ribbon Seeds, and a new one I tried this year...Timeless Tomatoes. All have been very good.