Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing for Market (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Add 1 more to 5 things I learned... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=27198)

Keger March 24, 2013 06:23 PM

Add 1 more to 5 things I learned...

Have back up plants and plans.

I have had it all in the ground since early March, many with blooms, a couple feet tall. Squash with fruit on them. Peppers a foot tall.

And now, we have a North / NW wind at 30, and nights forecast in the 38-35 range for a few days. That means a pretty heavy frost here.

So..................... I am watering heavy to protect all I can.

And I have backup plants.

So, "6 is have backup. Especially if you do this for market.

Worth1 March 24, 2013 07:34 PM

[QUOTE=Keger;336197]Have back up plants and plans.

I have had it all in the ground since early March, many with blooms, a couple feet tall. Squash with fruit on them. Peppers a foot tall.

And now, we have a North / NW wind at 30, and nights forecast in the 38-35 range for a few days. That means a pretty heavy frost here.

So..................... I am watering heavy to protect all I can.

And I have backup plants.

So, "6 is have backup. Especially if you do this for market.[/QUOTE]

You wont get a frost your humidity is only 28% and your dew point is 26 degrees trust me.;)
It just cant happen.

Worth

Keger March 24, 2013 08:36 PM

Hope you're right my brother...

Worth1 March 25, 2013 11:51 AM

How did things turn out last night?
I have several tender plants outside and none of them were damaged.:D
I did put black buckets over my tomatoes and sheets over my cucumber sprouts.
They are ok too.

Worth

Keger March 25, 2013 09:13 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;336363]How did things turn out last night?
I have several tender plants outside and none of them were damaged.:D
I did put black buckets over my tomatoes and sheets over my cucumber sprouts.
They are ok too.

Worth[/QUOTE]

Thanks for asking, they made it fine last night. I just got in from watering and covering for tonight. It doesn't feel right for tonight. Feels too cold.

I think I'll be out at 5 or so in the AM to lay water on what I couldn't cover. That should help.

Thanks again as always.

Worth1 March 25, 2013 09:44 PM

I'll keep my fingers crossed.;)
Worth

Worth1 March 26, 2013 09:45 AM

Looks like you are out of the woods I looked and you are already around 47 whoops now 48 degrees.

A couple of my wild cucumber sprouts came of it ok too and we got colder than you guys did.:D

I live on a hill compared to downtown so it never gets as cold here at the house.

Worth

Keger March 26, 2013 03:55 PM

I lost a few cuke plants and maybe 20% of the tomatoes got beat up from a frost. I think the heavy wind Sunday followed by the cold and dry stressed things, especially after the warm weather we have been having.

Should be all clear now..... I think...