Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Kellogg's Breakfast (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=222)

KCMO_Don February 8, 2006 03:09 PM

Kellogg's Breakfast

I have yet to find a yellow / orange fruited tomato that I didn't find bland.
I have yet to grow Kelloggs Breakfast for just that reason.
Could this be the one that changes my mind or should I continue to boycott it? :?

Thanks
Don

jerseyjohn61 February 8, 2006 03:16 PM

Don, I'll be growing KB for the first time myself. Great things are said of the variety, so looking forward meself....JJ61

nctomatoman February 8, 2006 03:26 PM

Well, not to rain on parades (it is my personal taste buds, anyway, so take with a grain of salt), but I find KB to be sort of bland as well. For non-bland golden yellow tomatoes, I go with Elbe or Aunt Gertie's Gold or Yellow Brandywine (they are all quite similar in size, color and flavor) - they have a nice kick to the flavor. For bright yellow varieties, Lillian's Yellow is incredible - right up there with the best tomatoes of any color - and Azoychka, for an earlier, smaller but still nice flavorful variety. If you don't mind a little red in your yellow, Lucky Cross and Little Lucky are the most flavorful of that type by far.

I have a very long list of those that I find a bit bland for my palate - even some highly regarded ones such as KB (as mentioned above), Dr. Wyche's Yellow, Hugh's, Manyel.....

But - as I said above - everyone's taste buds and preferences are different!

KCMO_Don February 8, 2006 03:42 PM

Thanks

Thanks Craig!
I had almost completely planned to NOT grow it this year and I think I will probably stick with that plan.
I will probably go with Lucky Cross again!
I grew it once before and my seedlings turned out RL so in a fit of rage :twisted: I ripped it out of the ground.

(mental note..... work on temper) :oops:

Lee February 8, 2006 03:46 PM

Try Orange Heirloom.
It is quite a good tasting orange beefsteak, which I have never considered to be bland in taste.
Gardenmama mad a killer salsa out of 'em for last year's
Tomatopalooza[tm].

Lee

smallfarmer February 8, 2006 04:11 PM

Flamme is my choice for orange. I trialed KB and wasn't impressed.

KCMO_Don February 8, 2006 04:19 PM

Flamme

And Flamme is a very prolific earlier variety isn't it?
Have I heard that it's pretty "tart" ?

carolyn137 February 8, 2006 04:20 PM

My choice for an orange or yellow tomato to change your mind is definitely Aunt Gertie's Gold.

I also like Jaune Flammee in that regard.

And I don't find Kellogg's Breakfast to be bland at all and like it very much. The orange I grew before Kellogg's became available was Amana Orange, and that WAS bland.

And there are others I could name, but lets not go there now, or I'll be throwing out suggestions all over the place. :D

Carolyn

bcday February 8, 2006 04:53 PM

Another vote for Aunt Gertie's Gold here.

Kellogg's Breakfast was very bland for me, but that was during a very rainy summer...OTOH, there were other varieties growing right next to KB that did not have their flavor washed out by the incessant rain, they came through just fine.

So I'm sticking with Aunt Gertie's Gold. I may try KB again some year if I have a vacant spot to fill and a severe drought is predicted.

jenn_sc February 8, 2006 05:37 PM

Aunt Gertie's Gold was the best tomato of any color that I've tried so far. Even though space in my backyard is very limited, I had to grow it again! That only left room this year for 6 new varieties, but it will be worth it! I admit my experience is pretty limited, but still, I had to add another vote for such a great tomato ;)

Jennifer

Earl February 8, 2006 08:51 PM

For yellow types I agree with Craig. Another good one is Dr. Wyche's Yellow.

PNW_D February 8, 2006 11:03 PM

Russian Persimmon and Apfelsin are two I've grown that were taste winners - thank you Andrey!!

Mantis February 9, 2006 05:39 AM

Might be our very hot dry summers here but KB has been wonderful for me. Not bland at all and very dense and meaty. A must grow for me from now on after two years growing it. It will even win a place in my greenhouse next season. Privileged it is :-)

cottonpicker February 9, 2006 05:51 AM

Kellogg's has my vote!! We liked it and I'll grow it again this year.