Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Alaska- greenhouse tomatoes 2014 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=31611)

AKmark March 19, 2014 12:23 PM

Alaska- greenhouse tomatoes 2014

My first batch was started in January under HPS lights, and I now have about 80 varieties started up to date. The first batch has been in the greenhouse for almost 3 weeks. Alaska, Fred Limbaugh, Prudens Purple, Blk Cherry, Juanne Flammee, and NAR have little baby tomatoes, Alaska has several about dime to nickel size.
Early Wonder is not behaving like a early wonder at all, healthy but behind the ones mentioned above, Prudens Purple is very vigorous, Steakhouse has a mega bloom, Brandywines are looking great, and my Caspian x B Butcher is sure looking like a pure Caspian right now. (lol) I will post some pics when I buy a new computer, this one does not like me anymore.
Anyway, happy spring tomatoheads.

Pappi March 19, 2014 12:47 PM

Look forward to seeing your season again. Last years had so many good looking tomatoes. Just remembered how those Chocolate Stripes looked, yummy. Did you end up gettig some shade cloth in case that heat wave comes back around this year? Good luck and good growing.

Pappi

AKmark April 4, 2014 01:44 AM

I have started a couple thousand plants so far and have some interesting choices to tinker with amongst the batches. PL Black Krim, RL Fred Limbaugh, RL Sudduth's, which was collected from a mostly PL batch, from seeds I saved out of the fruit from the original vendor's seeds that I bought, I have a RL Stump of The World, and I have a couple of PL Early Girls. Anyway, kinda adds to the mix.
Looks Like Black Cherry is going to ripen first.

KarenO April 4, 2014 07:05 AM

Sounds like fun I'm way behind you but have some babies under lights. Going to the island next week and will fire up my greenhouse when I get back looking forward to growing a houple of yours this year Mark, thanks for the seed :). Hope 2014 is good to you!
Karen

AKmark April 18, 2014 06:29 PM

Moving along

1 Attachment(s)
Almost finished with the second batch. Here is a pick of my Pruden's Purples already filling up the containers nicely, setting beefsteaks too.

AKmark April 18, 2014 06:50 PM

Second batch

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the first greenhouse full of tomatoes and peppers

AKmark April 18, 2014 06:53 PM

Alaska

1 Attachment(s)
A single Alaska in a 10 gallon container

AKmark April 18, 2014 06:55 PM

seedlings

1 Attachment(s)
A nice tray of seedlings ready for their first transplant

KarenO April 18, 2014 11:30 PM

Man oh man, everything looks fantastic Mark I'm jealous! :)

Karen

JamesL April 18, 2014 11:45 PM

Beautiful!

Worth1 April 18, 2014 11:49 PM

Wonderful.:yes:
I'm going to show this to some friends I have in Wasilla that grow tomatoes.

Worth

bower April 20, 2014 04:10 PM

Looking awesome, Mark! What a great setup.

I grew Alaska last year, but it didn't like being in my greenhouse - didn't produce really until I put it outdoors, and then it loaded up. They did really well in the outdoor trial at the farm too. Definitely rated one of the tastiest of the early reds.

Trying Prudens Purple this year for the first time... high hopes, for sure.

AKmark April 21, 2014 01:35 AM

Thanks everyone, I have gathered some great varieties together for this season and I am so excited to taste everyone of them. Suprise wise, Cowlick's is really loading up, even ahead of Steakhouse so far. (lol) The best of the first batch, for setting tomatoes, is an NAR that is out producing all of its sisters.
I have an Alaska that is starting to turn colors, I agree they are good. I think I may set one outside Bower to see how they do up here.

Goldie321 April 24, 2014 08:18 AM

AKmark - got to know how long a growing season do you have up there? I saw Wasilla on one of the Railroad Alaska tv shows. Too much winter for me! I thought New York's was long enough - one of the reasons I've been in Florida the last 29 years.

AKmark April 24, 2014 12:04 PM

Goldie, outside it is about 120 frost free days. In my greenhouse, I grow from March to the end of October, but start plants inside beginning in January.
I counted 19 baby Cowlick's Brandywines set on one plant, and have an NAR doing about as good.
It has started out to be a great year, everything is looking good from all of the spring sun we are getting.
I also have a ripe tomato too off of an Alaska, kinda fitting to start the tomato munching season