Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   ???'s about Porter's Dark Cherry and Amish Gold (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=3587)

patty_b January 3, 2007 06:07 PM

???'s about Porter's Dark Cherry and Amish Gold

Anyone have growing experience with Porter's Dark Cherry? Looking to trial a few new cherry tomato each season.
Same with Amish Gold....and is Amish Gold a cherry tomato size? Thanks, Patty

Rena January 3, 2007 06:22 PM

I did a cherry growout last year. I found out of I believe 70 cherries, (I would have to check my notes) the ones that stood out Black Cherry, Sungold and Sunshine. Sunshine came from SSE and imo better tasting than Sungold...it has a more complex flavor. I have seed if you would like some pm me your address. I also grew some cherry types from Japan that were outstanding but they are hybrids I am sure. Gajo De Melon (spelling) is what I REALLLLLY wanted to grow but alas it would not GEMINATE. This year I am getting seed again from Neil Lockhart (SSE yearbook). He says it is one fine tomato.

robbins January 3, 2007 10:13 PM

cherry tomatoes

Imisscolo - can you give more details on your cherry trials. I'm really looking for some great tasting cherries. I too tried the Gajo de Melon - with no germination. The Sunshines sound good and I'd love to hear about your other winners.
Robbins - who also misses Colorado

jdwhitaker January 3, 2007 10:18 PM

I grew Porter's Dark Cherry and Porter side by side last year, and as I suspected they are the exact same tomato. Porter was released by the now defuct Porter & Sons in 1931. It is still a popular variety in Texas, being sold right along with the latest hybrids at most nurseries and "big-box" stores. "Dark Cherry" has been added to the name in the last couple of years by several companies, including Bonnie Plants, which grows most of the tomato transplants found in Texas. Porter is a great little tomato--tastes like a large fruited variety and very productive in the heat.

barkeater January 3, 2007 10:31 PM

Awesome report JD. Thanks for that enlightning regional info!

MikeInCypress January 3, 2007 11:09 PM

Porter

Back when I last grew Porter (mid 1980's) I grew it from Porter & Sons seed. It was a pink elongated grape 1-2oz tomato. I distinctly remember it being pale in comparison to a Big Set or Celebrity. How do they get "dark" from this?

MikeInCypress

Rena January 4, 2007 07:35 AM

Re: Porter

[quote=MikeInCypress]Back when I last grew Porter (mid 1980's) I grew it from Porter & Sons seed. It was a pink elongated grape 1-2oz tomato. I distinctly remember it being pale in comparison to a Big Set or Celebrity. How do they get "dark" from this?

MikeInCypress[/quote]
I was not going to comment on Porter as I had to check but I too had a light pink Porter cherry it was almost shiny pink like a pearl. I hate to say it was a spitter for me.

MikeInCypress January 4, 2007 09:27 AM

IMSSCOLO SAID
[quote]I was not going to comment on Porter as I had to check but I too had a light pink Porter cherry it was almost shiny pink like a pearl. I hate to say it was a spitter for me.[/quote]

For me Porter taste was insipid until they became "dead ripe" when the taste developed to be "tomatoey" It did produce in the heat. It was close to Juliet in size but was much more egg shaped.

It still shows up at the odd feed store here in Houston.

VGary January 4, 2007 10:03 AM

Patty, I grew [b]Amish Gold[/b] this past summer and was disappointed in the taste and texture. I have grown both [b]Amish Paste[/b] and [b]Sungold[/b] and had great expectations for this cross. For me it was elongated/plum shape, mealy and had little or no taste.
I would not grow it again unless convinced otherwise!
Gary/Louisville

patty_b January 4, 2007 10:35 AM

Wow, maybe I better abandoned those two and search out some other less known cherry. I thought Porter's Dark Cherry looked much like Amish Salad in the harvest photo. Wonder how plant growth compares with those two??

Gary, what about the Gaston cherry that was on your list a couple years ago? I haven't come across that variety anywhere but with you. Does it have good growing qualities?

IMSSCOLO, I would be interested in Sunshine and any of your other more unique cherries. Will send my grow list for you to look for exchange....Patty

carolyn137 January 4, 2007 12:14 PM

I thought Porter's Dark Cherry looked much like Amish Salad in the harvest photo. Wonder how plant growth compares with those two??

Patty, I'm not sure what harvest picture you're referring to although I can speak to Amish Salad which is a variety I introduced, seeds from John Adams.

It's pink, a nice medium pink but the picture in my book shows it as being red. That was a photo glitch, for it really really is pink. Taste is mild and fruits hang on the vine forever, which is a plus for Market Gardeners, I suppose.

I haven't grown Porter, but Amish Salad is indet, large plant, small fruits growing in clusters of about 6 and resembles so called grape tomatoes, almost, in shape.

For great tasting cherries I like:

Galina's Yellow
Camp Joy, aka Chadwick's Cherry
Mini Orange
Pink Ping Pong ( a larger type cherry)
Black Cherry
Green Grape
Mirabelle ( yellow)
Dr Carolyn, ( OK, OK, but I like it and it doesn't split as easily as so many others of that coloration)

...off the top of my head without thinking too much, which I hate to do, yes that's true, for today is not a thinking day. :lol:

patty_b January 4, 2007 01:51 PM

Carolyn, It was at the TomatoFest site that I have been reading about Porter's Dark Cherry and noticed to me, they looked similar to Amish Salad that I grew in '05.
[url]http://store.tomatofest.com/SearchResults.asp[/url]
Amish Salad was probably the tallest and widest cherry tomato plant that I have ever grown....and I will grow it again in a couple years. In the mean time I am looking at some new ones to try. I do have seed to try Dr. Carolyn and Mini Orange this time that will be new to me. Didn't get Pineapple Fog (from you...thanks)to grow last year so will try it again.

I think Besser is one that I should try as I see it mentioned quite often as a good one.

carolyn137 January 4, 2007 02:12 PM

Patty, I still have some Pineapple Fog seed and it's only a few years old, but the same as I sent you. You'll remember I grew it and didn't think that much of it at all.

Rena and Robbins, as far as I can remember it's been Neil Lockhart who was offering Gajo de Melon and I just ran across some seeds that he had sent me as well.

The problem was that the seeds he processed in the Fall of 2005, that is the new varieties primarily, had germination problems that he discovered only after he had sent out seeds and he felt just terrible about that. He was doing it differently and it looks like they got cooked. I bet he grew some new Gajo's this past summer and I'm sure the seeds will be fine.

Rena January 4, 2007 02:33 PM

Marizol Magic[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f346/IMISSCOLO/renaturban005.jpg[/img]
Blondkopchen[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f346/IMISSCOLO/harvest011.jpg[/img]
I am almost 99% SURE this is Reinhard's Goldkirsche I do not know why I did not label it :roll:

[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f346/IMISSCOLO/1harvest017.jpg[/img]