Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   What's your favorite yellow summer squash? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48399)

sjamesNorway November 24, 2018 04:13 AM

What's your favorite yellow summer squash?

and why?

I only have room for a couple of plants, and taste is the first priority.

Steve

shelleybean November 24, 2018 11:44 AM

I really like the flavor of Golden Bush Scallop but Early Summer Crookneck is a close second. I prefer both varieties picked quite small. Smaller than you'd see in the grocery store.

Tormato November 24, 2018 01:47 PM

Rugosa Friulana...hands down.

"I have a hypothesis!". It seems most of the taste comes from or near the skin, Rugosa Friulana being lumpy/warty has more skin area, hence it's more flavorful.

Buddy (the T-Rex)

Worth1 November 24, 2018 02:19 PM

The old time crooked neck with warts on it, what ever it is called.
More squash flavor.
To me squash stands on its own not to be contaminated with spices and other herbs and vegetables.
It was a constant battle with my wife not to cook them with garlic onions and tomatoes.
The flavor of the squash vanishes with this stuff in my opinion.

Zeedman November 24, 2018 02:30 PM

Ditto on the warted crook neck - for fresh eating. For freezing, though, I prefer Tromboncino, or several of the green zucchini varieties if foul weather causes me to plant late.

AlittleSalt November 24, 2018 02:37 PM

Early Summer Crookneck has my vote too. The Straightneck yellow squash tastes good grown in my neck of the woods also.

sjamesNorway November 25, 2018 04:24 AM

Thanks for the replies! So far Early Summer Crookneck has most votes, and it's one I was thinking about getting...

Steve

sjamesNorway November 25, 2018 04:58 AM

[QUOTE=Tormato;719724]Rugosa Friulana...hands down.

"I have a hypothesis!". It seems most of the taste comes from or near the skin, Rugosa Friulana being lumpy/warty has more skin area, hence it's more flavorful.

Buddy (the T-Rex)[/QUOTE]
I decided to try Rugoso Friulana, too, after reading some other good reviews. Your hypothesis sounds good, Buddy.

Steve

LDiane November 25, 2018 12:49 PM

Yes, Early Summer Crookneck. I don't eat them all - some I stand up like little yellow ducklings to amuse the grandchildren.

greenthumbomaha November 25, 2018 01:50 PM

I love everything squash, and Ill have to give the Rugosa Friulana a try.
Steve, you asked about yellow, but I also grow a pale yellow/green squash called

[B]White Bush Lebanese Summer Squash.
[/B]

I learned about it here on the forum from Jeanne Anne (sp.) It has a milder taste, and it's a refreshing change from the yellow if you eat home grown squash EVERY DAY :)

The Lebanese has a bush habit; a normal to large sized bush. I usually plant several to a hill, so that may account for the amount of space it takes up in my garden.

Fro squash bread or squash cakes (with cheese) I still prefer a yellow squash. For steamed with butter I alternate the yellow with the white, whatever is ready that day

- Lisa

jtjmartin November 25, 2018 09:06 PM

Huh - great theory that squash taste being proportional to surface area. I'm in for another experiment! Just ordered Rugoso Friulana from Baker Creek. (free shipping!)

Jeff

greenthumbomaha November 26, 2018 01:13 PM

Hey Buddy,

I noticed in another thread discussing this squash that Seeds from Italy sells this variety as a 6-10 foot vine squash. Which did you grow/seed source?

- Lisa

sjamesNorway November 29, 2018 03:05 AM

[QUOTE=jtjmartin;719798]Huh - great theory that squash taste being proportional to surface area. I'm in for another experiment! Just ordered Rugoso Friulana from Baker Creek. (free shipping!)

Jeff[/QUOTE]
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered mine from Baker Creek, too, because they had both early crookneck and Friulana.

Lisa, White Bush Lebanese Summer Squash sounds good. I wonder if it's the same as Baker Creek calls "[URL="https://www.rareseeds.com/lebanese-white-bush-marrow-/"]Lebanese White Bush Marrow Squash [/URL]"? I've noted it for the future.

Steve

Tormato November 29, 2018 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=greenthumbomaha;719828]Hey Buddy,

I noticed in another thread discussing this squash that Seeds from Italy sells this variety as a 6-10 foot vine squash. Which did you grow/seed source?

- Lisa[/QUOTE]

My seed source was Baker Creek.

For me, plant habit is generally a bush form, until some plants decide to fall over and start running (5 to 6 feet). MAYBE in perfect conditions, with a long disease free season, they could get to 10 feet. Not here.

I've been searching for years for a true vining summer squash. About a decade ago, I had a straightneck squash with a 14 foot vine that produced dozens upon dozens of fruit. I didn't save the seed, and the other seeds in the pack produced regular bush form.:(

My own RF selection of saved seed seems to produce 1 or 2 fruit setting prior to male flowers showing up. These fruit are very early (35 DTM), and have a pale green color. The normal, later fruit on the plant are yellow. Thanks for the reminder that I need to crack this year's squash (the yellow ones) open and dry the seeds.

Tropicalgrower January 24, 2019 05:36 PM

I really like Gold Rush for my summer squash.

Tormato:if you happen by,I'd really enjoy your take on the Rugosa Friulana that you like so well.

I could use a suggestion for a winter squash if no one would mind.I've been trying to decide on a good winter type for this upcoming season.I read a post from Fred Hempel who mentioned Blue Kuri being a good winter squash.I may have to think about that one,but as with most things,I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Trop