Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Dark Galaxy Tomato? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39055)

imp December 10, 2015 01:01 PM

Dark Galaxy Tomato?

Anyone grow this one? How did it do, healthy, production amounts, taste ( I know, subjective, but say anyways)?

How about Dragon Eye? Or CHUHLOMA-CHUKHLOMA?

Iva December 10, 2015 01:49 PM

Didn't grow it yet but I got to taste one and I was impressed! It really tasted great, full bodied tomato flavor with just the right balance between sweet and acid. So, it's on my 2016 list...

Hunt-Grow-Cook December 10, 2015 02:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I grew it last year and enjoyed it. It produced well for me, was by far the most eye catching tomato in my garden, and tasted decent. I got some slight variance in size from large cherry size to saladette size, and it grew in nice full trusses. It was one of the last standing in my garden as well. If I were to grow it again it would be for a conversation piece and looks though. Just a gorgeous tomato. Some of Brads newest offerings seem vary similar in apperance, Im curious if he was able to improve the flavor. Again it was not a bad tasting tomato, but as far as "Blues", Blue Beauty is still the best tasting I have tried personally.

Edit:
I forgot to resize the pictures, my apologies if they are difficult to view.

Aerial December 10, 2015 02:51 PM

Hunt, nice luscious photos I love how the sunlight reflects off the blue cherries. I'm excited to grow out the varieties from our trade. :D

For a quick trim for posting I use webresizer.com/resizer/ .

[QUOTE=Hunt-Grow-Cook;517921]I grew it last year and enjoyed it. It produced well for me, was by far the most eye catching tomato in my garden.

Blue Beauty is still the best tasting I have tried personally.
[/QUOTE]

Hunt-Grow-Cook December 10, 2015 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=Aerial;517936]Hunt, nice luscious photos I love how the sunlight reflects off the blue cherries. I'm excited to grow out the varieties from our trade. :D

For a quick trim for posting I use webresizer.com/resizer/ .[/QUOTE]

Thanks Aerial, the blues are certainly fun to grow and to look at. Everybody asks, "what are those?!" I hope they do well for you. Im slighlty worried that you still havent reiceved the seeds. I suppose we will give it a few more days. Keep me posted. :o

Allisa December 10, 2015 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=imp;517905]Anyone grow this one? How did it do, healthy, production amounts, taste ( I know, subjective, but say anyways)?

How about Dragon Eye? Or CHUHLOMA-CHUKHLOMA?[/QUOTE]I grow CHUKHLOMA every year. Indeterminate, wispy leafed plant, ripen in mid August 'till frost, good post harvest storage ability, good canner, good for salsa, production is good for the paste variety. If there's enough of potash fertilizer in the soil a plant will produce multiflora clusters up to 20 fruits per each, about 2 oz fruits, if not, then up to 6-8 fruits per cluster up to 3 oz fruits. IMHO, taste is good, on the sweet side. I grow it because of the sweetish taste, like it better than SunGold. In my climate I prune Chukhloma plants up to 2 stems and by the end of the season get up to 11 clusters per plant in the good year.

Allisa December 10, 2015 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=Hunt-Grow-Cook;517921]... but as far as "Blues", Blue Beauty is still the best tasting I have tried personally.
[/QUOTE]
In 2015 I also had Blue Beauty and because of its taste decided to give a try to a bunch of other antho varieties in 2016. Purchased Lucid Gem, Damascus Steel, Pink Siberian Tiger, P20+Beauty King, Blue Gold, Blue Pear ("Sinyaya Grusha", Duhov's selection), Ananas Bleau, Orange Blue, Antho Striped Dwarf. I hope the taste of these will be similar or better than Blue Beauty)))

imp December 10, 2015 08:04 PM

Thank you, I want to use some for salsa and to make yellow sauce for green pasta, and maybe some black pastas, too. I think the colors would just pop, but the taste has to be there, too.

Thank you, too, Iva, and Hunt, may have to give the dark galaxy some space, looks almost gold flecked in the one picture.

Gardeneer December 11, 2015 03:00 AM

A nice and appropriate name. I like that.

Iva December 11, 2015 05:26 AM

This is the fruit I got to taste. It really is beautiful...
[IMG]http://shrani.si/f/1X/KB/3dXQPzZb/img1900.jpg[/IMG]

imp December 11, 2015 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=Iva;518072]This is the fruit I got to taste. It really is beautiful...
[IMG]http://shrani.si/f/1X/KB/3dXQPzZb/img1900.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I think I am going to buy that seed for sure now, *sigh*, the pictures make it look almost gold, metallic gold, flecked, and it has that lovely darn red brick color inside!

Temptations, temptations, so many of them!

Iva December 12, 2015 03:33 AM

Those specks actually ARE true sparkling gold, but you can't possibly take a picture of the shimmer. And I liked the meatiness of the flesh, it wasn't watery like most of those first OSU Blue tomatoes. I like the fact that the blues are getting prettier AND tastier with people breeding with them....