Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Edibles/Pollinators Container Planting (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48453)

PlainJane December 16, 2018 09:48 AM

Edibles/Pollinators Container Planting

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some combos I’ve tried out in my big galvanized troughs.
Would love to see what you all have tried!

GrowingCoastal December 16, 2018 11:19 AM

Oh, so beautiful and nice to see at this time of year. The lettuce looks great mixed in with the flowers.
I am glad of a rest though now that all my plants have had a hard frost and are cut back for the winter, asleep in the garage.

PlainJane December 16, 2018 12:09 PM

Thank you ... now that the heat is past lettuce and other cool weather crops are taking off.

Nan_PA_6b December 16, 2018 01:13 PM

Can't give any pictures this time of year, but I've got a wild pale pink-white monarda growing in the shadiest part of my vegetable garden. It doesn't mind a lot of shade, and bees love it.

PlainJane December 16, 2018 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;721164]Can't give any pictures this time of year, but I've got a wild pale pink-white monarda growing in the shadiest part of my vegetable garden. It doesn't mind a lot of shade, and bees love it.[/QUOTE]
My pics are not all from this year ... I was just curious what others are doing as far as combinations of edibles/ornamentals. I haven’t tried monarda in Florida. I just assumed it wouldn’t be happy in that much heat.

Nan_PA_6b December 16, 2018 03:33 PM

MMMM Spoiler Alert!

In the MMMM, there is "Monarda, pink/purple", and "Monarda, light white/pink" Those are the toughest ones from my yard and each can grow in a substantial amount of shade. (I'm guessing they should be in some shade in FL.)

PlainJane December 16, 2018 09:47 PM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;721181]In the MMMM, there is "Monarda, pink/purple", and "Monarda, light white/pink" Those are the toughest ones from my yard and each can grow in a substantial amount of shade. (I'm guessing they should be in some shade in FL.)[/QUOTE]

I will try a few next year and see how they handle the heat.

greenthumbomaha December 16, 2018 09:59 PM

Nan, do you find the monarda you grow gets powdery mildew in the shade? Even the new hybrids get it here. It is very humid and stays that way all night, something I didn't expect when I moved to the great plains. Monarda seems a sure bet for pm, and lately peony too.

- Lisa

greenthumbomaha December 16, 2018 10:07 PM

I had to think about this for a minute. I didn't think lettuce would do very well in the heat here, just seed out when the flowers would start to come into bloom. My lettuce trough was insanely expensive from home depot, about $250, but its out front where veggies are prohibited by neighborhood covenants. Its not pulling it's weight for being ornamental. I'll be watching for ideas for next summer.

- Lisa

Nan_PA_6b December 16, 2018 10:17 PM

The pink/purple stuff does get PM but the white/pink thrives in shade. I don't know if the white/pink ever gets PM. If it gets PM at all, it holds off till late in the season.

greenthumbomaha December 16, 2018 10:32 PM

Good to know. I've never even seen white monarda/ didn't know about it. Did you start from seed?

- Lisa

Nan_PA_6b December 17, 2018 12:35 AM

I got it from a wild natural area near our house. I brought one home that had been run over by some construction machinery. It lived, rooted everywhere it touched the ground, and seeded into a tidy little area. It's perennial; dies back in winter here.

PlainJane December 17, 2018 05:54 PM

[QUOTE=greenthumbomaha;721214]I had to think about this for a minute. I didn't think lettuce would do very well in the heat here, just seed out when the flowers would start to come into bloom. My lettuce trough was insanely expensive from home depot, about $250, but its out front where veggies are prohibited by neighborhood covenants. Its not pulling it's weight for being ornamental. I'll be watching for ideas for next summer.

- Lisa[/QUOTE]
Lisa, do you by chance have a picture of your lettuce trough?

greenthumbomaha December 17, 2018 07:57 PM

I will take one in the daylight, Plain Jane. If you asked me last week, it would have been buried under 5 inches of snow. We are having a January thaw this week. Yay!!!

- Lisa

It may be this one :

[URL]https://www.gardeners.com/buy/modular-raised-bed/8586930.html[/URL]

The photo shows two units.

PlainJane December 17, 2018 07:59 PM

Wow, that’s crazy!
- Joyce