Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus (w/ Pix) (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=1519)

Dark Rumor June 26, 2011 09:44 PM

I talked to a South Georgia county extension agent and he said that Thrips carry the virus and the virus is not spread from plant to plant only by the Thrips.

grizlbr July 6, 2011 12:39 PM

thrips?

2 Attachment(s)
It would seem I found the culprit now to go spray! I hate to let tomatoes go to waste are they safe to eat?:cry: The first tomatoes were treated with Sevin and Max so do not think the Ortho Max caused spots???:evil: Did not see anything after small cut worms Max was just easier to apply.

grizlbr July 7, 2011 12:03 PM

Interferon

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=feldon30;16267]They need to invent Tomato Inferon. :([/QUOTE]
Everything got Maxed and Sevined today dirt nap the bugs! Aspirin 3 tabs to 4 gallons of water according to a @edu folar spray. First time I saw a tomato perk up being wet with insecticide? Who was drooping? As I made se:panic:cond round with Aspirin spray. Still going to calcium and magnesium spray today. Going to see if aspirin steroids help! Can any one help with spots on my fruit? The first six from same branch were pretty we had a storm that knocked fruit to ground is orange spotted fruit still on vine safe 2 eat?:evil:

grizlbr July 7, 2011 12:47 PM

Guess I will take a mirror so I can see underside of leaves? The eye level 6 foot portion of my Early Girl looks OK? If she has a STD? Seeds are ok stop rooting suckers????:evil: Is there a chart of diseases to determine what if is going on? :cry:

b54red August 31, 2011 11:07 AM

Found my first case of TSWV since June this morning when watering. I hope it will be an isolated case. It was just starting and I cut off the whole stem in the vain hope of slowing it down on the plant. I always try it but it rarely helps. It was one of my fall plants set out in July and it was looking pretty good with a fair amount of blossoms. Seems to me I mainly get TSWV in the spring and sometimes again in the fall. I guess that must be when thrips are active down here.

b54red September 15, 2011 06:49 PM

I have now had 3 cases of TSWV this fall and have pulled them all. I guess the thrips are moving around again.

Fusion_power May 20, 2012 09:47 AM

Just a heads up that the SouthEast is having a massive outbreak of tomato spotted wilt this year. It seems to be a result of a warmer than normal winter and wetter than normal spring.

DarJones

mysidx May 20, 2012 10:37 AM

[QUOTE=Fusion_power;276332]Just a heads up that the SouthEast is having a massive outbreak of tomato spotted wilt this year. It seems to be a result of a warmer than normal winter and wetter than normal spring.

DarJones[/QUOTE]

Yep, we are getting into the nineties now with higher humidity....that time of year to be on guard.

Yeager31 May 22, 2012 02:20 PM

Definitely battling TSWV here in SE North Carolina this year. I have pulled appox 15 plants thus far to include both of my ARGG, Amazon Chocolate, Anna Russian, Lucky Cross, 2 German Johnsons (I really can't get these things to work), Cherokee Green, Kimberley, Black and Brown Boar and a Paul Robeson. Somewhat my fault as I was slow to properly diagnose as I thought the black spotting was a fungus. I really need to bone up on my disease knowledge.

Anthony

mysidx May 23, 2012 05:26 AM

[QUOTE=Yeager31;276897]Definitely battling TSWV here in SE North Carolina this year. I have pulled appox 15 plants thus far to include both of my ARGG, Amazon Chocolate, Anna Russian, Lucky Cross, 2 German Johnsons (I really can't get these things to work), Cherokee Green, Kimberley, Black and Brown Boar and a Paul Robeson. Somewhat my fault as I was slow to properly diagnose as I thought the black spotting was a fungus. I really need to bone up on my disease knowledge.

Anthony[/QUOTE]

How long have your plants been in the ground, before you noticed a problem?

bower May 23, 2012 09:17 AM

some insecticides make thrips infestations worse!

I was also reading about thrips recently: this article from Florida is very informative about thrips and TSWV, and results of different treatments in the field:

[URL]http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in401[/URL]

I have been suffering a thrips infestation on pepper plants which are still in the house. :cry: I don't see any signs of TSWV afaict, but I am not going to put any peppers in the greenhouse with tomatoes just in case. The thrips damage alone is nasty enough. Really no way to kill the bugs once they are in the plant tissue, only cull and prune. :x
Has anyone used diatomaceous earth on the soil surface to stop new ones from emerging? Does this help?

nctomatoman May 24, 2012 04:13 PM

Happens every year - today I lost my first (and hopefully last) plant to TSW - and as usual it is something pretty special - Yellow Ponderosa, from seed saved in 1995 - I got the seed from the USDA. Fortunately I managed to get several up and growing so it is already replaced. It was planted on May 4, and had open blossoms. Looked fine as recently as 2 days ago. Amazing how fast the disease shows up once the plant gets infected.

Weird - plants next to it and across from it are fine. 200 tomato plants. And...boom!....there it was with the characteristic foliage markings.

gardenmama May 25, 2012 01:10 PM

I lost my first (and only so far) plant to TSWV yesterday - sadly it was the only Druzba I had in the garden with no backup plant in the greenhouse. I replaced it with a Black Krim. The other 84 plants look great (for now).

Yeager31 May 25, 2012 01:56 PM

[QUOTE]Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeager31
Definitely battling TSWV here in SE North Carolina this year. I have pulled appox 15 plants thus far to include both of my ARGG, Amazon Chocolate, Anna Russian, Lucky Cross, 2 German Johnsons (I really can't get these things to work), Cherokee Green, Kimberley, Black and Brown Boar and a Paul Robeson. Somewhat my fault as I was slow to properly diagnose as I thought the black spotting was a fungus. I really need to bone up on my disease knowledge.

Anthony
How long have your plants been in the ground, before you noticed a problem?[/QUOTE]

Most of my planting was done ~30Mar thru first week of June. First noticed probably around first of May.

kurt May 25, 2012 05:23 PM

[URL]http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/hypoaspis-mite-thrips[/URL] This is good info for some biological controls and you can order the beneficials from here.