Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Rabbit stew anyone?? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=11582)

pyxiestix June 27, 2009 11:57 AM

Rabbit stew anyone??

this doesn't affect my tomatoes (which are doing beautifully now thanks to you guys!!) but i'm afraid it will soon....

those gosh darnoodley rabbits have eaten every single pea plant i planted!!

HOW do i get rid of them???? i don't have extra cash for commercial repellants (or fencing really) so anything natural would be great.

thanks in advance!

Blueaussi June 27, 2009 12:34 PM

Since they're mammals, a hot pepper spray should discourage them. Otherwise, get dog, I guess.

I gave my sister one of these: [url]http://www.amazon.com/Contech-Electronics-CRO101-Scarecrow-Motion-Activated/dp/B000071NUS[/url]

for her birthday, and so far it's keeping the deer and rabbits out of her garden. I thought one of you Mcgyver-types should be able to figure out a way to hook a recording of a dog barking or a snake hissing or something scary to a motion detector.

Moonglow June 27, 2009 08:17 PM

Rabbits should make good adobo, too. :twisted:

pyxiestix June 27, 2009 08:28 PM

lol gee, thanks, moonglow:P

i bought some jalapenos today & between those & the hot sauce & the cayenne pepper i have i'm hoping to keep then away...

i wonder if i sprayed that mixture on my bedroom door if it would keep the kids out...;)

recruiterg June 27, 2009 08:30 PM

I have a live trap. They are easy to trap and relocate.

Blueaussi June 27, 2009 11:13 PM

[QUOTE=pyxiestix;135667]l
i wonder if i sprayed that mixture on my bedroom door if it would keep the kids out...;)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=recruiterg;135668]I have a live trap. They are easy to trap and relocate.[/QUOTE]

Yabut, the authorities get their authoritarian knickers in a knot when I live trap the neighborhood kids, and I got in all kinds of trouble when I tried to relocate one. I'm not sure why, I turned it loose in a Mall. That's its natural environment, right?

tjg911 June 28, 2009 05:47 PM

fence. period.

or a .22 but that requires you being there and they are active at night.

it does not require a big time fence, hey you can wrap chicken wire around the peas and use saplings for fence posts. i have a minor fence around my garden (28" tall). jumpers and climbers can easily get in but they don't bother, i have very polite deer! a rabbit views a 28" tall fence an impassable barrier. now if it was 12" i'm not sure but i'd bet they'd be baffled.

tom

CRAKSHOT June 28, 2009 06:59 PM

Lay a widemouth canning jar on its side,and put some canning salt in it.Put these around the boundry of your garden.Rabbits will eat the salt,and leave your plants alone.I know it sounds stupid,but it works.

PaulF June 29, 2009 08:12 AM

I agree with TJG 911. I know you say you do not have the money for fencing, but the only effective way to keep the rascals out of my garden is to surround the garden or even those crops the rabbits really like with an inexpensive poultry wire fence. A hundred foot roll of poultry wire fence two feet tall and a few electric fence posts (or short "C" posts) is an investment that can be reused for many years. My "chicken wire" is at least twenty years old and keeps the rabbits out nicely. I don't have to guard the garden, mix up the deterrent, bother the neighbors with a sound system or load up the gun.

My rabbit population can't jump, so any height will stop them. They do try to wiggle under so make sure there are no spaces at the bottom. I use landscape fabric u-shaped pins to anchor the fence. Peas, beans and beets along with lettuce and spinach are like candy for rabbits and deer. Once they taste them it is hard to keep them away. A fence is the best way I have found.