Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   automatic watering (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=23419)

TightenUp June 16, 2012 08:46 PM

automatic watering

anyone do automatic watering on their containers? i have 3 containers that i need to get watered when i'm not around. this will be often.

i have my hose hooked up to the fill tubes of my SWC's so i could tap into that but not sure the best way to go about things.

my timer is set to go off twice daily for 1 minute each time. so maybe connect a hose and puncture some holes in it and fix the hose to my containers? i can regulate water pressure with the shutoff valve on the Y connector. anyone ever do this?

i can make this a permanent system or also just a "to get by" system while i'm not here

Tapout June 16, 2012 08:59 PM

What you need to do is build a reservoir in a fourth container. The fourth container will only be for holding and distributing water to the other containers. The to keep the reservoir full automatically you can use the float system from the back of a toilet. Connect all of your containers in a series with some sort of pvc pipe about 1 inch up from the bottom of your container. Adjust the height of the water in your reservoir by bending the float bar up or down. Make sure all of your containers are at the same height as the reservoir because water will always seek level, if the containers are not level the water can be higher in one container then the other ect.. There are several threads about how to do this here.

elight June 20, 2012 10:53 PM

Check out this thread from this spring... Doubt you'll want to use the same exact system as me but hopefully the various components give you some ideas.

[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=21664[/url]

rnewste June 20, 2012 11:37 PM

If you can adapt the EarthBox Company's automatic watering System (AWS) to your specific containers, that is the most reliable and simple way I've discovered for SWCs. I currently have 38 SWCs tended by the Earthbox AWS and I couldn't be happier. Tens of hours per week saved from manual watering - and now, I can go away for a week or more at a time and never have to worry about my SWCs running dry.:love:

[URL]http://store.earthbox.com/AWS-Kits/products/57/[/URL]

This is the best investment I have ever made for a garden accessory.

Raybo:yes:

Tapout June 21, 2012 02:45 AM

50 bucks for some T's and some tubing seems pretty high.

Chrissykin June 21, 2012 08:08 AM

[QUOTE=rnewste;285056]If you can adapt the EarthBox Company's automatic watering System (AWS) to your specific containers, that is the most reliable and simple way I've discovered for SWCs. I currently have 38 SWCs tended by the Earthbox AWS and I couldn't be happier. Tens of hours per week saved from manual watering - and now, I can go away for a week or more at a time and never have to worry about my SWCs running dry.:love:

[URL]http://store.earthbox.com/AWS-Kits/products/57/[/URL]

This is the best investment I have ever made for a garden accessory.

Raybo:yes:[/QUOTE]

I love mine, It works flawlessly. I just wished the Earthbox Jr. worked with the AWS.

rnewste June 21, 2012 10:50 AM

You ought to be able to shorten the Sensor Tube to adjust to the shorter Earthbox Jr. A little trial and error with the 1/4" tube is all you need to do.

Raybo

Chrissykin June 21, 2012 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=rnewste;285181]You ought to be able to shorten the Sensor Tube to adjust to the shorter Earthbox Jr. A little trial and error with the 1/4" tube is all you need to do.

Raybo[/QUOTE]

They talked about in the EB forum. The mods said it is not possible. Something about the reservoir size.

rnewste June 21, 2012 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=Chrissykin;285183]They talked about in the EB forum. The mods said it is not possible. Something about the reservoir size.[/QUOTE]

HA!! Send me an Earthbox Jr. and I will make the AWS work!

Raybo;)

Chrissykin June 21, 2012 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=rnewste;285193]HA!! Send me an Earthbox Jr. and I will make the AWS work!

Raybo;)[/QUOTE]

LOL
I know Ray if anyone can do it it would be you. You should pick one up and work your magic. I have two jr's and we went away last week and seriously thought about taking them with so they wouldn't run dry.

I really like the jr's and to me getting them on the AWS would be the icing on the cake.

rnewste June 21, 2012 01:19 PM

Unfortunately, I have TOTALLY run out of sunny deck space to put any new SWCs. I've got 35 EarthTainers and 3 EarthBoxes currently being fed from the EarthBox Company's AWS, and this is the most worthwhile garden investment I have EVER made!:love:

If you want to send me one of your Junior Boxes, I will make the mods for you.:yes:

Raybo;)

Chrissykin June 21, 2012 05:29 PM

[QUOTE=rnewste;285242]Unfortunately, I have TOTALLY run out of sunny deck space to put any new SWCs. I've got 35 EarthTainers and 3 EarthBoxes currently being fed from the EarthBox Company's AWS, and this is the most worthwhile garden investment I have EVER made!:love:

If you want to send me one of your Junior Boxes, I will make the mods for you.:yes:

Raybo;)[/QUOTE]

Ray you are so kind. That is so nice.

rnewste June 21, 2012 07:08 PM

Actually, you can easily do the mod there yourself (I just wanted you to send me a Lou Malnati's Deep Dish Pizza in return).:twisted:

You will need to compare the length of the standard EB filler tube with that in the Junior. Also compare the depth of the water level overflow in both models. Then trim the clear Sensor Tube of the AWS to normalize these 2 factors for the Junior model.

If I can find a local Nursery who has the Junior in stock, I'll make the measurements for you and send you the new Sensor Tube length to cut.

Raybo;)