Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   2012 Maters (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24566)

kath August 21, 2012 01:50 PM

Sweet Beverley

2 Attachment(s)
There are two forms of this one that both have the same taste. My two plants yielded 0.7 oz. plum shaped fruits that were quite sweet but they split worse than Sungolds for me.

kath August 21, 2012 02:01 PM

Tarasenko 6

3 Attachment(s)
Not many reds get invited back to my garden and this is no exception. DH liked the taste but it was too strong for me. It also had lots of catfaced fruits and quite a bit of BER but the fruits were very consistently between 13 to 20 oz. and the production was excellent.

kath August 21, 2012 02:08 PM

Terhune

3 Attachment(s)
Terhune is a wonderful tomato that produces loads of 4 to 19 oz. pink fruits on a tall PL plant. It was a fave last year and I still love it so I can overlook the catfacing that sometimes happens and the fact that it loses its leaves to EB sooner than some others.

kath August 21, 2012 02:17 PM

Toedebusch Pink

2 Attachment(s)
I only got a few fruits from the single plant I had of this variety- many were catfaced- but the ones I didn't cull were all in the one pound range, very solid and attractive.

kath August 21, 2012 02:35 PM

Tsar of Bells

3 Attachment(s)
This semi-determinate plant was very similar to Serdste Buivola and Monomakh's Hat both in plant habit and in that it produced large raspberry pink fruits. These ran from 7.5 to 30 oz. and were very meaty with a pleasant taste.

kath August 21, 2012 02:44 PM

Wanda's Potato Top

3 Attachment(s)
This is a big plant with huge potato leaves but since I staked and tried to keep it pruned most of the fruits were exposed to the sun yet sunscald wasn't a problem. The fruits didn't ripen until August and had bad cracking at the stem end by the end of the first week in August. Nearly all the fruits weighed between 1 and 2 pounds and were beautiful cut on the plate.

kath August 21, 2012 03:14 PM

Watermelon Beefsteak

2 Attachment(s)
Bought this variety (at least I thought I had) at a local nursery in 2010 but was unable to bag any blossoms and forgot to save seeds even though it was one of my top faves that year.:roll: For this season, I bought seeds from Gleckler's and Tomato Garden Supply but the fruits that I got weren't the same as the ones I grew in 2010, so I guess the plant tag must have been switched at the nursery.:bummer:

These plants both grew out similar fruits, the smallest was 15 oz. and the largest 30 oz. Quite a few had the partly empty locules.

kath August 21, 2012 03:24 PM

Watermelon Beefsteak Potato Leaf

2 Attachment(s)
Since I loved what I thought was Watermelon Beefsteak in 2010, this one sounded like a great one to try this year. I couldn't taste much difference in the fruits but these were bigger- from 22- 27 oz.

carolyn137 August 21, 2012 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=kath;299458]Carolyn, thanks for your feedback on Sandul Moldovan. The picture in your book looks like what I remember growing in 2010. Also for the clarification of Pruden's Purple.

With regard to the seeds of the cross of Pale Perfect Purple and Pruden's Purple, it isn't my cross. I received seeds as PPP x PP "C" and the information that I copied on its notecard states that "Original seed came from Craig LeHoullier. Tad Smith crossed PPP with PP and sent seeds to Carolyn Male who sent some to Craig in 1994." I believe the information came from SSE. Perhaps you could let me know the proper way to refer to this great tomato?

Thanks for your help.

kath[/QUOTE]

[URL]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/PPP_x_PP_%22C%22[/URL]

I 'm pretty sure, now that I remember, that it was Denise who saved F2 seeds, made some selections and labelled them I think A B and C.

I have zip memory of ever getting that cross from Tad. And when it comes to space for growouts at that time I had a whole quarter acre for tomatoes which is why I offered to Tad to grow out that three way cross that he made, said I had 1/60 chances of getting what he described , planted just 12 F2 seeds and go what I named Tad, so clever of me.:lol:

I also offered to Craig to grow out the F2 seeds of what became OTV Brandywine, after five years, so again, I can't remember ever getting seeds from Tad and sending them to Craig b/c I'm the one with the space or was, not Craig.

kath August 21, 2012 03:32 PM

Weidekind Heirloom Pink

2 Attachment(s)
The size on these beefsteaks ranged from 7 oz. to 1 lb., 11.2 oz. It was easy to stake and had a bit of an issue with BER and production was just ok.

carolyn137 August 21, 2012 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=kath;299769]This semi-determinate plant was very similar to Serdste Buivola and Monomakh's Hat both in plant habit and in that it produced large raspberry pink fruits. These ran from 7.5 to 30 oz. and were very meaty with a pleasant taste.[/QUOTE]

Kath, what I got, original seeds for this variety from Andrey, were good link hearts but that's not what I see in your picture.

[URL]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Tsar_of_Bells[/URL]

My fruits looked more like those shown by Patty and Tania does say heart as well.

Shall we say that some get a blunt heart.;)

dustdevil August 21, 2012 03:40 PM

Hi Kath.

I am enjoying this thread immensely! You have so much work to do with your zillions of plants and you still find time to post all these lovely pictures...amazing.

I will be reviewing this in the winter...good for beating down the cabin-fever blues. Of course, I'll be wearing my bib:twisted:

Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Dust

fortyonenorth August 21, 2012 04:12 PM

[QUOTE=kath;299522]Thanks, I appreciate your input, 41. I wasn't sure if you grew it this year- yikes, what kind of wilt? Good to know that my pics matched what you grew. I'm looking forward to trying more of this one- think the plants are in a lull right now that represents the low fruit set from our extreme heat. Hoping the weather holds so that more of the greenies ripen up.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a plant pathologist, but I assume it to be fusarium. I've had verticillium in the past and this is different - preceded by the yellowing foliage.

kath August 21, 2012 05:32 PM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;299778][URL]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/PPP_x_PP_%22C%22[/URL]

I 'm pretty sure, now that I remember, that it was Denise who saved F2 seeds, made some selections and labelled them I think A B and C.

I have zip memory of ever getting that cross from Tad. And when it comes to space for growouts at that time I had a whole quarter acre for tomatoes which is why I offered to Tad to grow out that three way cross that he made, said I had 1/60 chances of getting what he described , planted just 12 F2 seeds and go what I named Tad, so clever of me.:lol:

I also offered to Craig to grow out the F2 seeds of what became OTV Brandywine, after five years, so again, I can't remember ever getting seeds from Tad and sending them to Craig b/c I'm the one with the space or was, not Craig.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the confusion, Carolyn- the fact that I said that the cross was using Pruden's Purple instead of Purple Price was a huge mistake on my part.:oops: I did my best to correct it in the previous posts.

It's interesting to know where the "C" came from- I thought it stood for "cross" but with the "x" in the name it seemed rather redundant.:lol:

kath August 21, 2012 05:43 PM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;299781]Kath, what I got, original seeds for this variety from Andrey, were good link hearts but that's not what I see in your picture.

[URL]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Tsar_of_Bells[/URL]

My fruits looked more like those shown by Patty and Tania does say heart as well.

Shall we say that some get a blunt heart.;)[/QUOTE]

This seemed like a double fruit to me- as I recall, the singles were as pointy as the Serdste Buivola or Monomakh's Hat. I didn't save seeds anyway so this one ends with me.:cute: