Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   SETTFest™ VIII - 2015 (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   South/South Central Texas tomato get together - Spring '07? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=2814)

Suze September 16, 2006 09:17 PM

South/South Central Texas tomato get together - Spring '07?

I've really, really been wanting to do this for a while, but didn't see much point in trying to organize a get together here when I knew I was going to be relocating soon.

Well, I'll be moving to Elgin next weekend (Bastrop County), and I thought it might be nice if some of us in the general area could get together next year for a spring tasting. I was also thinking that if we held it somewhere about halfway between Austin and Houston, that would allow the most folks to be able to attend.

Please post to this thread if you think you might be interested and/or have input as to date, time, or place, etc.

Worth1 September 21, 2006 04:24 PM

I am very interested in doing this tomato get together thing.
As for the place there are some great areas to do this right here in central Texas.
Right here in Bastrop County is good for me not jus because I live here but it is a great place to come to from the big city.
The San Marcus area is good too.
Wimberley is fantastic also.
Maybe LaGrange would work that would be a little closer to the Houston area.
Would you Houstonites be apposed to going a little farther north for such a thing?
Its not that far I think maybe 150 miles or so and it would be just fine for the folks that live in the SA area too.
Don’t we have a friend or two in Austin (If one of them hasn’t ran back to CA due the heat.)

We have a lady that lives in Taylor that I would like to see come also.
Where are you anyway, you know who you are.

Don’t let Suze and I have to do this thing all by our selves but if we do I guess two would be better than none.
How did I get involved in this anyway?
Maybe I should stay out of it.
But seriously, times a running out and we or Suze need your input on the task at hand.
And I will personally put up the time and money for any sort of food as in BBQ or fried catfish or what ever your little hearts desire.
(As long as it does not run into TOO much money)

And Feldon I will even cook a steak or some pork ribs just for you just tell me what you want Bro.
And if you guys don’t want me there then that is fine too just take pictures.
Oh yes It has to be when I’m in Texas, not in Alaska if at all possible.
And by all means you don’t have to be an expert on tomatoes or just grow heirlooms to go I’m sure not one.

So what do you guys think?

Worth

Bryan24 October 4, 2006 07:18 PM

I'd be happy to (wo)man a grill!!! Med-Rare for me!!

Seriously, though, great idea. What, maybe learly to mid-July? I think that's when I had the most maters to share. Let me know what you need me to do.

And, just a side note....Elgin has some of the best sausage in the state. Mmmmmmm........Smokey and peppery.

laurel-tx

Oh, Just a side note, I need two months advance notice to get the day off (what a drag).

Suze October 9, 2006 11:54 PM

[quote=Worth1]And if you guys don’t want me there then that is fine too just take pictures.[/quote]

Hahahaha! You crack me up. Of course you're wanted there.

[size=2]Otherwise, who are we going to have to kick around?[/size] :twisted:

Thanks for all the great ideas on locations. I really don't know the general area all that well yet, and could use all the help and suggestions I can get.

[quote=Bryan24]Seriously, though, great idea. What, maybe learly to mid-July? I think that's when I had the most maters to share. Let me know what you need me to do.[/quote]

I was thinking more along the lines of mid to late June, but I'm certainly open as to what the best time would be. I guess part of it will depend on how many Houstonites and those even further south might be attending.

Anyone else with thoughts on time and locations?

snappybob October 24, 2006 05:55 PM

Great idea! If you are going to have it in South Texas in July I would suggest somewhere near the water. Lake/River/Pool whatever. You guys know how it gets. Count me in.

Bryan24 November 26, 2006 12:01 PM

Tomatoes, bbq, and tubing.....I like it. Will we be doggie friendly?

laurel-tx

mdvpc November 26, 2006 12:30 PM

My wife and I would be interested in attending, depending, of course, on the date. I assume it would be a weekend, so that would make it easier-since I would be coming from El Paso, Saturday would be the best day for me. I would like to meet some of my Tomatoville friends. Maybe Bill Malin would come from New Mexico.

feldon30 December 24, 2006 10:48 AM

Very excited about this event!

Fredericksburg is nice. Buescher - Bastrop state park is nice too, but probably not convenient to anyone but folks in Austin.

Not so sure on Galveston or Kemah since that makes it convenient only for Houston. I think somewhere between Houston and Austin that is convenient for Dallas and San Antonio to get to.

July sounds a bit late to me too. The third weekend in June includes Father's Day, so perhaps the fourth weekend.

P.S. I bought a smoker yesterday and am giving Pulled Pork a shot. I figure I have a few months to get good at making it. :)

feldon30 December 31, 2006 08:58 PM

First time was a charm on the pulled pork. ;)

Smoke 3 hours
Roast 2 hours
Rest 1 hour

Enjoy for days. :)

I should have taken a picture.

Suze January 3, 2007 06:20 PM

[quote=feldon27]Very excited about this event!

Fredericksburg is nice. Buescher - Bastrop state park is nice too, but probably not convenient to anyone but folks in Austin.

Not so sure on Galveston or Kemah since that makes it convenient only for Houston. I think somewhere between Houston and Austin that is convenient for Dallas and San Antonio to get to.[/quote]

I am leaning towards somewhere between Houston and Austin, right now. Did you get a chance to ask your friend for ideas?

But Fredricksburg might be nice.

[quote]July sounds a bit late to me too. The third weekend in June includes Father's Day, so perhaps the fourth weekend.[/quote]

The fourth week of June is about as late as I'd ever want to go. Peak harvest for me even in Ft Worth was early-mid to mid June. July gets iffy; I've already started to pull some plants by then.

Third week would have been sweet.

July would simply be pushing it too much I think, especially since the first weekend is probably out due to the July 4th holiday.

Looking forward to that pulled pork. ;)

When you get a chance, please post that list of acronyms you were telling me about. HATFEST, etc...

Rena January 3, 2007 06:32 PM

Suze maybe I should check a map and see how far you guys are? Umm probably the same distance as NC....I will have tomatoes at that point!

feldon30 January 3, 2007 10:13 PM

[quote=Suze]I am leaning towards somewhere between Houston and Austin, right now. Did you get a chance to ask your friend for ideas?[/quote]
She said Giddings. ;)

Some Possibilites:
* Brenham (probably the most popular)
* Chappell Hill (i.e. Washington on the Brazos State Park)
* Sealy (large park area with picnic tables, etc.)
* Columbus
* New Ulm
* Bellville
All but the last 2 have lots of parking.

Fredericksburg is nice, but I didn't realize it is really only convenient to San Antonio. We Texans like to spread out, don't we? :)

[quote=Suze]July sounds a bit late to me too. The third weekend in June includes Father's Day, so perhaps the fourth weekend.[/quote]
June was the beginning of the end for me, so it gets my vote.

I don't know if having it Father's Day weekend would keep people away or not. We should maybe setup a Poll for June weekends.

[quote=Suze]Looking forward to that pulled pork. ;)[/quote]
Now I have to learn how to make slaw and potato salad. ;)

[quote=Suze]When you get a chance, please post that list of acronyms you were telling me about. HATFEST, etc...[/quote]
If possible, I'd like to keep the list of possible acronyms/names confined to TomatoVille just until one is chosen. Thanks!!

Yes, some are quite absurd. I'm hoping there's a great name out there that I haven't thought of!

[B]SETTFEST[/B] (South East Texas Tomato Festival)
[B]SETTE[/B] (S.E. Texas Tomato Expo)
[B]SET³[/B] (S. E. Texas Tomato Tasting)
[B]T³[/B] (Texas Tomato Tasting)
[B]TomFEST[/B] (Tomato Fans of S. E. Texas)
[B]TEST[/B] (Tomato Expo of Southeast Texas)
[B]TTR[/B] (Texas Tomato Roundup)

[B]HATFEST[/B] (Houston Area Tomato Festival)
[B]HATT[/B] (Houston Area Tomato Tasting)

[B]GCATE[/B] (Gulf Coast Area Tomato Expo)
[B]STOMP[/B] (Southwest TOMato Party)
[B]GRITS[/B] (Gulf Region Independant Tomato Sampling)
[B]GATE[/B] (Gulf Area Tomato Enthusiasts)
[B]GATE[/B] (Gulf Area Tomato Expo)
[B]SEAT[/B] (S.E. Assembly of Tomato fans)

[quote=IMISSCOLO]Suze maybe I should check a map and see how far you guys are? Umm probably the same distance as NC....I will have tomatoes at that point![/quote]
Columbus, GA to Houston, TX is 715 miles. :(
Columbus, GA to Efland, NC is 475 miles.

foolcontrol January 3, 2007 11:26 PM

OK. I think Brenham, Houston or Austin.

I checked on a pavilion at a park in west Houston today. It is $125 to reserve.

Where are we going to have it?

My maters hit their peek during the first week of June last year. I had a very sharp decline in production after June 12th. Too hot for a lot of them to set after that.

I think we should do it early enough that we can bring tomatoes and compare.

I am pretty good at cooking the Q.

feldon30 January 6, 2007 10:22 PM

Just a teaser image. :)

[img]http://www.feldoncentral.com/forumpics/TTT_teaser01.jpg[/img]

Worth1 January 8, 2007 11:17 AM

I think I’m around for the 2nd and 3rd weekend of any month and the first Saturday I’m home I am really burned out.
So that leaves only the 3rd for me I think.
I pay a very high price to work in Alaska to say the least.

Fredericksburg is a great place to be in the summer and I feel it is worth the trip for any one.
There is one thing though, ‘it is crawling with folks all summer long.

As for the Houston area I think I would rather have a root canal than to go any place around there.

I still think a more centralized location is for the best though, and it’s not because I live here.

Lagrange is a nice place as are a lot of other places its just that Texas is so big it will be difficult for some to drive regardless of where it is held.
But it did say south central Texas didn’t it?

I won’t be able to go if it is not at a time I am at home anyway, for me to stay around for a weekend would cost me about $2,000.
In two weeks time I make my monthly income, so you could see where this would hurt.

Please don’t let that put a damper on things though.

If I’m home I will come and if it is far away I will show up (hopefully) on a Triumph motorcycle with some tomatoes in the saddle bags.
If I’m not home then so be it. ‘You guys have a good time.
Sorry if I come off a little grumpy, I just got up and I’ve only had one cup of coffee.:roll:

Worth