Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Eggplant aka Aubergine (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   What varieties is everyone growing this year? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=8558)

DeanRIowa May 9, 2008 04:17 PM

What varieties is everyone growing this year?

This will be my first year growing eggplants. I have seedling for the following:

Black Beauty
Long Purple Dark
Rosa Bianca

Dean

shelleybean May 9, 2008 08:34 PM

Louisiana Long Green is back again this year. This is probably the variety I've repeated the most. Produces like crazy and has sweet, mild flavor. I also have Prosperosa. I should have grown White Beauty again. I really like that one. I tried Black Beauty my first year growing eggplant and Rosa Bianca my second year. Hope they do well for you, Dean. I think they're both good.

mdvpc May 11, 2008 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am growing yaponskiy karlik (japanese dwarf) from Andrey, zolotoe yaitso (gold egg) also from Andrey, Black Beauty (they do great for me in my zone 8 desert garden), applegreen, and ping tung long. I have 4 plants of each in 15 gallon grow bags.

Here is a photo of yaponskiy karlik. I am real impressed with how the plant looks, extremely healthy looking.

violet0996 May 12, 2008 03:29 PM

I planted Pink Tunglong and Rosa Bianca. They never sprouted, or so I thought until I saw that my feline friend had chosen that spot in the garden for regular dust baths. So I went to the garden center and got a Black Beauty which is just starting to flower. Since then I also found a volunteer from last year - also a purple type - and planted Thai Green, which I am still waiting to see sprout. - dawn

tigahb8 May 14, 2008 10:58 PM

How about, Rosa Bianca, Proposa, Nada, and Black Bell II.

Butch

rxkeith May 14, 2008 11:42 PM

this year i'm growing ukrainian beauty, diamond, ping tung long, and an unknown to me variety from iran. this is the 3rd try for ping tung long. first 2 attempts were unsuccessful. 3 strikes and you're out.

Andrey_BY May 15, 2008 01:31 AM

Michael - very good-looking and healthy plant. Yaponskiy Karlik is a Siberian CV despite Japanese part of its name and its very early and compact for eggplant. Zolotoe Yaitso (Golden Egg) has golden-yellow egg shaped fruits...

barkeater May 15, 2008 07:51 AM

I'll be growing 2 Rosa Biancas only. I haven't found anything better.

mdvpc May 15, 2008 08:54 AM

I have a flower bud on my Yaponskiy Karlik-I think its going to be pretty early for me. I corrected the Russian spelling on my golden egg in the post above.

mdvpc May 25, 2008 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my yaponskiy karlik today, 2 weeks photo from my earlier one. Has several flowers already. Nice and compact. Its 7 inches tall. Going to be my earliest eggplant this season.

korney19 June 21, 2008 11:23 PM

[quote=barkeater;99560]I'll be growing 2 Rosa Biancas only. I haven't found anything better.[/quote]

Glad to hear that! I am growing it too, plus Diamond.

Funny thing is, I have never grown, nor eaten, eggplant before!

barkeater June 22, 2008 02:20 PM

The good thing is, if you don't like Rosa Bianca, then you'll know you don't like eggplant! I'm trying 1 of the 2 in a pot this year to see if the warmer location will yield better.

shelleybean June 22, 2008 03:11 PM

I have a couple of Louisiana Long Green growing quickly. I should be able to start picking soon. I had heard that Prosperosa was not a really productive variety but I have a lot of fruit set on those plants. Looking forward to those, as well.

korney19 June 22, 2008 04:02 PM

[quote=barkeater;103516]The good thing is, if you don't like Rosa Bianca, then you'll know you don't like eggplant! I'm trying 1 of the 2 in a pot this year to see if the warmer location will yield better.[/quote]

4-gallon buckets for mine here on the blacktop should provide some heat for them.

This sounded like the best description for Rosa Bianca, from Fedco:

[I] Open-pollinated bicolor Italian heirloom. Vermont market grower Alan LePage calls it “the best eggplant in the universe,” with a creamy pudding-like consistency and delicate flavor. Gorgeous fruits, white with lavender streaking down the side, can command $3 per pound. Quite different from those familiar slender black types, Rosa is plump, about 3-4" across and 5" long, narrow at the top and widening with indentations almost in folds like draped fabric. Fruits average 2 lb, max out at 4 lb, making it LePage’s highest-yielding eggplant. Rosa needs to be coddled, particularly in the northern half of New England. Needs alternating temperatures to break dormancy: warm days (preferably 80s), cooler nights (around 70°). We recommend raised beds, row covers and plastic or IRT mulch.[/I]

barkeater June 23, 2008 07:48 PM

That's interesting, Mark. I grew RB a couple years ago, and had 2 really large eggplants and a couple small ones. Last year I didn't have seeds, and grew a black hybrid instead which yielded half as much. I thought it was just because of weather differences. So Mr. LePage may be right when it
comes to growing RB in the far north.

It was a lot different farming in NJ, the eggplant capitol of the world. All white or white striped eggplant yielded less than half of black eggplant. I didn't know Rosa Bianca by name then, it was generically called Sicilian eggplant by the Italian farmers I bought my transplants from.

But I really pushed it at my farm market because it tasted so much better, and 15 years ago I was selling as much white as black over a season, even though I charged 50% more.