Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Olive Hill Germination revisited. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17836)

KLorentz April 8, 2011 02:03 AM

Olive Hill Germination revisited.

Hi All,

Some may recall I planted Olive Hill after I was sent a pack by a friend which came from the Sample Seed Shop.Last year I got 0 germination.I found this odd knowing Remy's reputation for good seed...Fast forward to about a week ago.I was doing some replanting and adding some late additions and after looking through my seeds came across Olive Hill. So I thought why not? I have nothing to loose.Now to today.After looking at the seed tray and noting some varieties coming up I did a double take. Olive Hill was one of them coming up!!Several to boot.

All this leads to what I figured out last year. Some varieties just did not like the soil used last year. I had the same trouble last year with Goat Bag as well and will get in a late planting to see if the same thing happens.The only no show I have had this year is Ernesto.I find it all odd that while other varieties had anywhere from 80 to 100% germination last year Olive Hill was at 0% and this year it is coming up 100%. Strange:?!?:

Kevin

Stepheninky July 4, 2011 10:43 AM

Was wondering how that Olive Hill is doing for you? All my tomatoes were planted late and had hail and other issues so just now getting fruit set, but it seems to be loading up with fruit and is one of my most vigorous plants.

KLorentz July 14, 2011 04:16 AM

The plants are turning out nice and are beginning to bloom.Looking good so far.

Kevin

organichris July 14, 2011 10:59 AM

I got Olive Hill seed from Remy and am growing it out right now. I had excellent germination. Beautiful potato leaf plants with plenty of blossoms but zero tomatoes. Blame it on the heat I guess. Hopefully I can get a few for the Fall.

Ricky Shaw June 28, 2017 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This beast of a plant with thick stems and leaves is loaded with blossoms and counting 20 little toms set on a two stem plant 32 inches tall. Olive Hill looks like a keeper for container growing one stem up a post or a drop line, without worry of providing adequate fruit shade with it's huge leaves. Seeds were compliments of Marsha's seed offer and interested if anyone else is growing it this year.

Spartanburg123 June 28, 2017 01:13 PM

My Olive Hill was a brute of a plant, beautiful PL, and I had about 20 tomatoes set and growing. I lost this only plant to TSWV just a few days ago :(.

I collected 4 decent sized greenies and will let them ripen up.

There's always next year! Oh, BTW, I sowed 4 Olive Hill and all germinated. I gave seedlings to others to grow.
Darin

jtjmartin June 28, 2017 10:38 PM

Good to hear that Olive Hill is a beast! It's on my list for next year.

I lived 30 miles away in Morehead KY in the 80's - great tomato growing weather!

Spartanburg123 June 28, 2017 11:17 PM

I take it that this tomato is from Olive Hill, KY? We drive up Highway 23 through that area all the time- in fact, we'll be heading to Huntington, WV on Friday for the holiday weekend. Marsha sent me some seeds, and said "a must grow!" I would have to agree!

jtjmartin June 28, 2017 11:53 PM

From Tatiana's:

Deep pink heirloom beefsteak tomato from Olive Hill, Kentucky that can weigh a pound or more. Excellent flavor for slicing or salad!

KarenO June 29, 2017 12:39 AM

I have 2 growing from seed from Marsha. big vigorous PL plants looking promising so far.

KarenO

Spartanburg123 June 29, 2017 01:12 AM

[QUOTE=KarenO;650724]I have 2 growing from seed from Marsha. big vigorous PL plants looking promising so far.

KarenO[/QUOTE]

Rock on, KarenO!!
;)

Nan_PA_6b September 16, 2017 05:50 PM

So what's the verdict on taste & production of this one?

Nan

ddsack September 17, 2017 08:06 AM

My seeds were from Marsha as well, have four plants in the ground. No problems with germination, they were later in my garden than many others, but very good production of big tomatoes, very good flavor, nice shapes without catfacing, some top cracking due to rain. At peak of production right now, though plant appearance is really on the downhill slide which is normal here in September.