Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Aussie Grown Tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=51608)

mcsee February 28, 2023 11:37 PM

Aussie Grown Tomatoes

1 Attachment(s)
Our 2022/23 Tomato season is over and all plants now removed from the garden. Overall, we got off to a slow start, but it picked up, giving us plenty of tomatoes to eat and cook with. Standouts in the garden were numerous, with the surprise contributor being my own cross, which I named Macalister after the river that runs through our town.

Macalister was a cross I made in 2019, after finding that the Sweet Ozark Orange I got from Ozark and grew turned out too sweet for our liking, so I used its pollen on a red Romanian tomato we'd been growing for some years, the resulting fruit was the end result, a nice tasting yellow tomato. Macalister this year grew in trusses of up to 8 fruits, ranging in weight from 400 - 450 grams. The fruit has a great flavor, my wife's favourite tomato again this year. Hopefully by the time it's stable it will find its way to a few growers, but until then, we'll keep enjoying it each season.

I'll post a few more varieties that did well here that were worthy of a mention.

mcsee

mcsee March 1, 2023 12:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Next on or list is a tomato we've been growing for many years, that being one we named UK2000, (but not named for United Kingdom). I guess we're hard to please with this tomato, as we grow it every year, we like it that much.

Anyway, this tomato ticks all the boxes for us, although it never seems to be grown more than once by those who have seeds.

mcsee March 1, 2023 12:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A few more that we'd probably grow again are - starting top left photo, then clockwise.

Karkiano
Liz Birt
Liz Birt (Group)
Longhorn (Halved)
Longhorn

VirginiaClay March 1, 2023 10:20 AM

[QUOTE=mcsee;770087]
Macalister was a cross I made in 2019, after finding that the Sweet Ozark Orange I got from Ozark and grew turned out too sweet for our liking, so I used its pollen on a red Romanian tomato we'd been growing for some years, the resulting fruit was the end result, a nice tasting yellow tomato. Macalister this year grew in trusses of up to 8 fruits, ranging in weight from 400 - 450 grams. The fruit has a great flavor, my wife's favourite tomato again this year. Hopefully by the time it's stable it will find its way to a few growers, but until then, we'll keep enjoying it each season.
mcsee[/QUOTE]
Beautiful tomato! Looking forward to trying it when you decide it's ready to share and its seeds make their way over here.

ddsack March 1, 2023 10:57 AM

+1 !!!
Macalister sounds like a delicious one! And the rest of them make me long for summer as well. It will be 5 months before I have ripe tomatoes here.

hl2601 March 1, 2023 10:59 PM

Love seeing all your photos McSee! They are some beautiful tomatoes. Glad you got some great results after a tough start too. As our season begins here, your posts lift my spirits!
Heide

mcsee March 2, 2023 12:41 AM

[QUOTE=hl2601;770094]Love seeing all your photos McSee! They are some beautiful tomatoes. Glad you got some great results after a tough start too. As our season begins here, your posts lift my spirits!
Heide[/QUOTE]

Thanks Heide. I hope you have a good season with your tomatoes.

Whwoz March 2, 2023 02:18 AM

Some beautiful tomatoes there Mcsee. Our season here at Traf is really only just kicking into gear now, plants very late due to wet weather up until late December and limited warmth and sun since. Only a small planting this year, not able to get everything into the ground due to the wet.

mcsee March 2, 2023 02:46 AM

Thanks Woz.

Yes, the rain was something to remember here too, with the first year I can remember that we never had a ripe tomato before Christmas.

KarenO March 2, 2023 09:05 AM

The fruit you are showing look great! Glad you were able to get a harvest despite the uncooperative weather!
Karen O

Keiththibodeaux February 8, 2024 10:33 AM

I am in hot, humid south Louisiana. Aussie was an outstanding performer for me last year 2023.