Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Muddy Bucket Farm Wet Report (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=49332)

ContainerTed June 22, 2019 06:36 PM

Muddy Bucket Farm Wet Report

6 Attachment(s)
Looking back to the night when we got 9 inches of rain, the downpours have continued and the mud is really deep. My seedlings all have wet feet and the garden in on a sloping piece of real estate. Here's a couple of pix's showing what I found this afternoon. You can see the wet mud in almost every view.

I can't get in there to cut weeds and I also can't plant seedlings.

So, here's the view. The plant at the right edge of the frame is a Cherokee Purple with three larger (10 oz plus) very green and very much bursting skins.

[ATTACH]88352[/ATTACH]

The beans are approaching the time to harvest and I can only look at the ends of this 110 foot row.

[ATTACH]88353[/ATTACH]

This Shadow Boxing Type 4 is really showing a bunch of Antho - even the stems.

[ATTACH]88354[/ATTACH]

Black Bear has as many blooms as a good productive cherry. I hope it isn't a cherry.
[ATTACH]88357[/ATTACH]

For KarenO, this is Polaris. It is showing a lot of antho in the stem, but is typical of the leggy seedlings I now have due to not being able to get into the garden. This was the last plant to go into the garden. My muddy tracks were washed away this morning by the latest deluge.

[ATTACH]88355[/ATTACH]

And, also for KarenO, this is Karma Purple Multiflora. I expected more blooms, but this season is so out of whack that I'll have to wait for more info from the plant.

[ATTACH]88356[/ATTACH]

Worth1 June 22, 2019 07:08 PM

You could really use some sunshine.

jtjmartin June 22, 2019 07:47 PM

Feel for you Ted - horrible weather this year.

KarenO June 23, 2019 01:51 AM

Where there’s life... here’s hoping for some sunshine for you.
Poor Polaris but kpmf seems alright so far :)

Karen

ContainerTed June 23, 2019 03:12 PM

No sunshine today, but the 100% humidity that came with the "0" visibility fog this morning has allowed me to do some planting in Row one where I don't have to wade the mud. Anyhow, I still had to tie the old tennis shoe strings together and throw that pair into the creek to wash the mud off them. But I did a count and I now have 65% of my varieties in the ground. If it continues like this, I'll get the rest of them in the next few days.

I think I have to do something really nice for Mother Nature and maybe then she'll let me off the hook this year. Dang, this has been a very weird and "different" kind of season start. If it all works out, I'll have more than 150 plants in the works.

Next year, I must cut back on the quantity of plants. My doctor says if I don't, he'll have me placed under medical arrest and activity surveillance. :) He seems to think my body is trying to tell me something I'm not listening to. I have to think about this.

sjamesNorway June 24, 2019 04:39 AM

My mother in Lexington, KY complains "rain, rain and more rain" every time I talk to her. Maybe you need to change the name of your farm:twisted:. I hope things improve there soon, Ted.

Steve

wildcat62 June 24, 2019 08:29 AM

We live North of Lexington & are supposedly 14" above normal for the year.

ContainerTed June 24, 2019 01:58 PM

I usually take trash out to the county pickup point which is 4 miles to the Northeast of here. I always go there because I can judge the level of Norris Lake. Right now, it is higher than I've ever seen it and that goes back to 1976 - like 6 to 8 feet above full pool. We've been getting a lot of water over the dam (controlled). And, guess what? We are now under yet another severe weather watch for more heavy rain, hail, and wind for this afternoon and evening.

I'm beginning to grow webs between my fingers and toes. I don't recall this kind of wet in my 75 years of living. On a bright note, though, my blue lake green beans will be a bumper crop if they survive the flooding, and also if the bees can get into the blooms.

Bright spot is that the weather forecast for the big bicycle races scheduled this weekend in Knoxville is good. Temps in the upper 80's and humidity off the scale, but the rain is supposed to back off for a few days. The light at the end of the tunnel may not be a speeding train.

clara June 24, 2019 05:59 PM

Ted, I'd like to get some of your rain - and sent you a bit of our heat! It's already brutally hot here and we are supposed to get a new heat record this coming Wednesday, even an overall record since the data were started in 1887.

BTW, Henry's Sunshine is doing fine despite the heat, but I've given him a place where he gets some shade in the afternoon - better is better in case the summer will be as hot as last year!

Notostraca June 26, 2019 01:38 PM

I do hope you get some sunshine soon, unpredictable unseasonable weather is everywhere these days... I can see from the first pic this garden is in a beautiful location, while not the best weather for the toms, the cloud/mist on the hills looks enchanting.

Looking forward to seeing your plants grow, thanks for sharing and make sure you look after yourself as much as your toms :).

amideutch June 30, 2019 08:16 AM

Well, the heat wave continues on in German. Today its 100 deg, F. The saving grace is the humidity
is 20 Percent.

Ami

Worth1 July 1, 2019 06:17 AM

[QUOTE=amideutch;740119]Well, the heat wave continues on in German. Today its 100 deg, F. The saving grace is the humidity
is 20 Percent.

Ami[/QUOTE]

Do very many people have air conditioning there if any at all?

amideutch July 1, 2019 08:33 AM

Worth,

As a rule no. If they do, they buy a portable unit and install it in their living room or Bedroom. Weather like we are having here is rare.

Ami

arnorrian July 3, 2019 06:16 AM

Cfa climate will start expanding northwards into Cfb climate of western and central Europe. You better get used to higher temperatures and humidity in the summer. Here is the present vs prediction for 50 years in the future.

[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/04/Koppen-Geiger_Map_Western_Europe_present.svg/1280px-Koppen-Geiger_Map_Western_Europe_present.svg.png[/IMG]

[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/Koppen-Geiger_Map_Western_Europe_future.svg/1280px-Koppen-Geiger_Map_Western_Europe_future.svg.png[/IMG]

Rest of the world here: [url]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Koppen-Geiger_climate_classification_.gif[/url]