Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   got HOT peppers? maybe try this! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19792)

tjg911 September 1, 2011 10:01 PM

got HOT peppers? maybe try this!

ok, i got a little nuts the other day. i sliced up a fatalli into small pieces and added it to edy's coconut pineapple ice cream. tropical fruits right? it was fabulous!

anyone ever mix hot peppers with ice cream? i bet there are some wicked good combinations like maybe chocolate and .... :yes:

tom

husker nana September 2, 2011 12:01 AM

We went to a pepper seminar this year and they had all types of foods and a few beers to sample that were all made with peppers. One of them was a chocolate chip cookie made with habanero peppers. It was my delicious. I asked if he had a recipe and he said that he just add them into your favorite chocolate chip cookie. So yes, chocolate and peppers work together!

Zana September 2, 2011 08:24 AM

Now you got me thinking.....wooooohoooo. And I've got some chocolate macadamia nut ice cream in the freezer right now....and a variety of hot, hotter and complicated peppers growing and ripening right now. Plus I have to do some baking this weekend. Thanks for the ideas that are running through my head. I'll try to post some of the pics of the baking....if I remember. LOL....or if they're not scarfed down first. LOL

tjg911 September 9, 2011 09:58 PM

zana,

anything to report?

tonight i tried a fresh peach with a scotch bonnet, not bad but nothing special.

i then tried a scotch bonnet with milk chocolate which i thought would be good but wasn't really.

i had a dish of edy's double vanilla ice cream with a scotch bonnet and it was ok but the coconut pineapple was MUCH better.

tom

Zana September 10, 2011 12:33 AM

I tried bits of scotch bonnet, habanero and apache with the chocolate macadamia nut ice cream.....separately and all mixed together.

Scotch bonnet was yummmy...but think I might try it after pickling it for a different twist.....or with some garlic too. I'm planning on using the Armenian Garlic Dill pickling recipe....or might try smoked.

The habanero was so-so....not as good as I would've hoped. But might try pickled or smoked.

The apache has a bit more of a fruity taste as well as the heat. I like that one best with the ice cream. Will probably try it pickled and smoked too...just for comparison. I still have some others to try...but I can't handle eating that much ice cream at one go...too much dairy. And I so far haven't found any non dairy ice cream I like.

Oh yeah....also tried the Apache with strawberry banana ice cream. Now that was tasty. :D

I have to pick up some other ice cream this week...since I've not depleted what I had. So will try smaller containers of various kinds with the different peppers.

Anybody else try something similar other than Tom and I?

Worth1 September 10, 2011 12:48 AM

Tom I think a mentioned this some time ago I'm glad to see you tried it.

Worth

lakelady September 12, 2011 08:47 PM

I've had a really great hot chocolate with chipotle peppers in it! Yum!

beatpoet September 12, 2011 10:14 PM

Rogue makes a Chipotle Ale, tried it last fall, was definitely quite a different taste than any beer I'd ever had. Had a little spice and smokiness to it.

pinakbet September 13, 2011 03:53 AM

i only tried chocolate with chilis but never tried it with ice cream before.

tjg911 September 14, 2011 05:02 PM

so i tried this today....

peanut butter on bread with fatali hot sauce very good

peanut butter and smuckers strawberry jam on bread with fatali hot sauce very good

peanut butter and smuckers orange marmalade on bread with fatali hot sauce very good

fatali hot sauce recipe:
12 fatali peppers seeded i used the pith
2 long red slim cayenne seeded i used the pith
15 oz canned mango drained
1 cup cheap yellow mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
5 TBLSP white vinegar
1 TBLSP curry powder
2 teasp ground cumin
1 TBLSP chili powder
1 teasp salt
1 teasp black pepper

put peppers and vinegar in a blender and blend them. slowly add the rest of the stuff and process until smooth. makes 24 oz thick sauce not watery like a tabasco sauce.

you could use any peppers but the fruity c. chinenese peppers may work better with the mango.

tom

bitterwort September 18, 2011 10:49 PM

So, Tom, I tried your fatalii hot sauce recipe with a couple of substitutions (Jamaican Hot Chocolate peppers for Fatalii and canned peaches for mango) and the flavor was very good with just the merest schmear on a ham sandwich. Other than PB or other sandwiches, how do people use the sauce?

Zana September 19, 2011 12:58 AM

When I was in Jamaica in April I picked up a number of different hot sauces. Scotch Bonnet and banana or mango or papaya...or other hot peppers with the fruit. One was a mix of different fruits. Some were pickapeppa sauce with mango or other hot peppers.

What to use these sauces for? I've used them in stir fries, over pasta, making savory rolls or tarts, over fried eggs or omelets. Great on steak or sausages (on a bun or not). I've also used them when making marinades for different meats/veggies for the grill or vinaigrettes for salads.

Would love to hear what other people use them your kind of sauce for, Tom.

tjg911 September 20, 2011 01:15 AM

for the record, that sauce recipe came from earl, it is not mine.

i think substituting peaches for mango was a smart move! canned mango was very hard to find and the mango was mushy and inedible imo. in the sauce it is ok, i tossed 1/2 the can because i refused to eat it. it resembled fresh mango the same way a store bought december tomato resembles a garden tomato. guess that describes it pretty clearly!:D

i never had a mustard based sauce only vinegar based. i now think that mustard based sauces are best used on meat. i'm a vegetarian so i will find uses for it on other things, zana mentioned a good selection.

tom

bitterwort September 20, 2011 10:35 PM

Hmmm, you might be right about where the sauce really shines, Tom. Maybe you could use it as a basting sauce for grilled tofu to stifle that old carnivore complaint about tofu being "bland"? Based on your description, I'm glad I didn't search too hard for canned mango.

Thanks for the suggestions, Zana and Tom. I think a bit of this sauce would liven up a salad dressing or pasta. My version might also work well for a macho contest, I think. ;-)

tjg911 October 11, 2011 03:44 PM

made this today:

1/2 cup red beans
1 cup pole beans 1" pieces
1/2 cup red onions diced
4 habaneros diced no seeds used the pith
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
thyme
basil

i pressure cooked the red beans a few days ago, steamed the pole beans, mixed everything together. you could add pasta or rice or...

tom