Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Raised bed on legs finally (almost) finished (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=23696)

janezee June 29, 2012 09:42 PM

Raised bed on legs finally (almost) finished

6 Attachment(s)
Well, I still have to finish attaching the netting to the conduit, and I guess I'll trim the landscape cloth to look neater, and I still have to move the cucumbers and plant some lettuce, but other than that, I'm done with my mom's garden. She's pretty limited in what she can do to her yard, since she lives in a senior housing community, so I had to build something that wasn't in the way of the mowers and not dig up the ground, so this was my solution. I think I'll build her a platform for the tomatoes so the weed whackers won't eat up the netting.

I have to say that I'm pretty proud of my first wood working project (other than raised beds on the ground) since I made a stool in shop. I designed it myself, and built two. Mine will have lettuce and spinach in it, because the slugs eat it all in the ground.

The dimensions are 23"x36"x12", and the legs are 24". The bottom of the box is 1/2" hardware cloth. I covered it with landscape fabric and cardboard.

Coolest part is that I learned to bend conduit, inspired by RebelRidin' George's raised beds and trellises. Thanks!:cute:

janezee

salix June 30, 2012 01:02 AM

Looks great! Congratulations on your projects, Jane. Hope they produce well for you both. Just think, SO easy on the back!

Andybear June 30, 2012 02:28 AM

Very neat. Great job well done

janezee June 30, 2012 03:04 AM

Thank you both. Salix, so easy on the back after it's built, but not so much before or during!

Thank you, Andy, and welcome to the forum. Height of winter there for you? How cold does it get where you garden? Do you use raised beds?

jane

Mojave June 30, 2012 03:26 AM

Oh wow, that's awesome!

RebelRidin June 30, 2012 06:52 AM

That looks terrific Jane. :D Your conduit bends look great. Best of all is NO stooping! I'll bet your mom is tickled with hers. It's a good thing you knew someone who could use the one your daughter passed on...;)

I am tickled to hear that my project helped inspire yours.

kurt June 30, 2012 03:09 PM

To prolong the life of wood at end of season clean interior real good,dry well and coat with liquid roof cement or multiple Thompsons water seal.Coat the legs where it meets the ground.If it feels wobbly when top is wet some 45 degree angles will help on bottom legs.

JamesL June 30, 2012 11:23 PM

Well done!

janezee July 1, 2012 03:44 PM

kurt, thanks for the advise. The sides are cedar, so I'm not too worried about them. The legs are standing on flatish rocks to keep them dry.
We use the boxes year round here. After the beans are done, I pull them and plant with spinach and lettuce, and cover with plastic instead of netting. My box will have that, plus Asian greens and maché. If it gets too cold, I can hang Christmas lights from shorter hoops I have made of black plastic pipe. Can't wait to harvest!

James, thank you! I'm so glad it came out the way I envisioned. :)

j

Crandrew July 1, 2012 05:13 PM

Looks great. Janezee!!!

zabby17 July 2, 2012 04:00 PM

jane, that looks FABULOUS, and sounds eminently practical. Your mom's lucky!

Zabby

Worth1 July 2, 2012 04:12 PM

Jane it looks like you have the back to back 90's down now on to off sets and 3 and 4 point saddles.

You should try it with 2 inch ridgid conduit and a tripple nickel bender.

Looks nice I am proud of you.
Great job.

Worth

janezee July 3, 2012 04:21 AM

Thanks, y'all. I'm busting with the satisfaction of accomplishment. It feels good to get [B][I]something[/I][/B] done.

It sure was fun to learn a new craft. That conduit bender rocks!

j