Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   2012 Maters (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24566)

lakelady August 13, 2012 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=kath;298393]This tomato is a real beauty and still hasn't been identified. Thanks for sharing, Joe! It's not Nyagous, nor is it Cherokee Purple. Whatever it is, it's productive and tasty! Sizes from 4 to 18 oz. this year. So pretty on the plate.:yes:[/QUOTE]

Oh my, whatever that is, my taste buds want it!!! It looks delightful! yum!

MarinaRussian August 14, 2012 02:00 AM

Stunning tomatoes, Kath!!! :love:

Captain Lucky wasn't late for me, at all, I love it. Thank you! Have you tried Everett's Rusty Oxheart? If so, is Copper River as good as ERO, tastewise?

kath August 14, 2012 07:00 AM

[QUOTE=MarinaRussian;298456]Stunning tomatoes, Kath!!! :love:

Captain Lucky wasn't late for me, at all, I love it. Thank you! Have you tried Everett's Rusty Oxheart? If so, is Copper River as good as ERO, tastewise?[/QUOTE]

I haven't been so lucky with CL- last year's attempt gave me fruits that were too red. Winterfly was kind enough to send me new seeds for this year but this plant just seemed to struggle- maybe that's why the fruits were late compared to the rest of the group. Not sure that I'll give it another try but maybe sometime. I didn't like Lucky Cross at all, and everyone else raves about it. At this point in the season I'm wondering if I really want to grow a bicolor or tricolor every year. They're very pretty but honestly, no one around here really wants to eat them!:lol:

I had one plant of Everett's Rusty Oxheart but it didn't make it. Again, not sure if I'll give it another try. I've heard many more positive comments about Captain Lucky.

kath

Baikal August 14, 2012 08:57 AM

Kath----------- fantastic!! Are you a good gardener, Thanks for posting your photos, greetings

kath August 14, 2012 10:57 AM

Daniels

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks to greyghost I tried this pretty pink PL beefsteak this year and am enjoying it's taste more than I have the Brandywines but some of them taste a little too acidic to me.

kath August 14, 2012 11:07 AM

Dester

2 Attachment(s)
Lots of talk about the name of this variety...I've been changing it as the discussion continues. Anyway it's reddish pink, meaty but juicy and very flavorful. The fruits all weigh about a pound and are now experiencing some radial cracking which is a shame because they were quite pretty as you can see. This is going to be a big winner with many, I think. I'm growing again next year to please DH and neighbors.

kath August 14, 2012 11:13 AM

Dr. Lyle

2 Attachment(s)
All over a pound and growing in large clusters, this one needs support! Another pretty ribbed pink-red beefsteak that kept me waiting a while.

kath August 14, 2012 11:26 AM

Dutka's Pink Heirloom

2 Attachment(s)
This large pink beefsteak is from Carolyn's seed offer and the one plant that germinated/survived has just begun producing ripe fruits, so I'll add more pics and comments later. It is a HUGE plant that sets lots of fruits (13 to 28 oz. so far) but it didn't do that early. The fruits are very meaty and have few seeds- the one that I managed to bag had 10.:( The unbagged fruit that's cut weighed 1 lb., 5.4 oz. and contained about 100 seeds.

kath August 14, 2012 11:33 AM

Eastham Pink Heirloom

3 Attachment(s)
I love the look of this tomato and admire how relatively crack resistant it has been compared to the other large beefsteaks. It's taste is great imo and it's sweeter to my taste than the other big pinks. The fruits have ranged from 10 oz. to over 2 pounds but the large ones have all been singles and have managed to be completely usable.

kath August 14, 2012 11:39 AM

Fish Lake Oxheart

4 Attachment(s)
This is a great tomato machine. Fruits from 5 to 29 oz. so far and no end in sight.

kath August 14, 2012 11:44 AM

Frank's Large Red

This is actually a large pink beefsteak despite the name and its fruits have indeed been large- from 1 to over 2 lbs. It was comparatively late to ripen and had a lot of catfaced fruits and splitting but I really like the flavor of this one.

I need to take a 'frustration break'- sometimes it only takes a minute or two for the pics in a post to upload but sometimes I can try 3, 4, 5 times and wait for many minutes and no uploading happens.:x

greyghost August 14, 2012 11:58 AM

Love your photos, Kath! Glad you liked the Daniel's. Last year, I thought it was the best tasting tomato I grew. I wanted it to do especially well this year
so I over-fertilized it. Got huge fruits (year year, they were just large) that
didn't taste quite as well!

This year, I thought Dester's Amish (I think Larry Pierce changed the name on
the website to Dester's) was the best tasting tomato I grew. The Fish Lake
Oxheart you sent me did very well; lot's of nice sized hearts with very good flavor-very sweet! People loved getting them as oxhearts are quite the novelty around here. Darlene

kath August 14, 2012 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=greyghost;298529]Love your photos, Kath! Glad you liked the Daniel's. Last year, I thought it was the best tasting tomato I grew. I wanted it to do especially well this year
so I over-fertilized it. Got huge fruits (year year, they were just large) that
didn't taste quite as well!

This year, I thought Dester's Amish (I think Larry Pierce changed the name on
the website to Dester's) was the best tasting tomato I grew. The Fish Lake
Oxheart you sent me did very well; lot's of nice sized hearts with very good flavor-very sweet! People loved getting them as oxhearts are quite the novelty around here. Darlene[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I noticed less flavor this year in the Fish Lake Oxhearts. Glad you were able to share them with happy recipients. Because I regrew favorites from the past 2 years, I was able to experience how the taste of a variety change from year to year- not always a good thing.:roll:

Ken4230 August 14, 2012 12:08 PM

I have a bad case of "tomato envy". The pictures are just stunning,:yes: especially the Eastham Pink Heirloom. I really like the way the post is arranged.

Have you done a lot of soil amending or is it just that "green thumb" you were born with?

kath August 14, 2012 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=Ken4230;298533]I have a bad case of "tomato envy". The pictures are just stunning,:yes: especially the Eastham Pink Heirloom. I really like the way the post is arranged.

Have you done a lot of soil amending or is it just that "green thumb" you were born with?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Ken- my 2 green thumbs match my other 8 fingers and the green stuff is tomato wax.:oops:

Last year and this year I've been using and granular organic fertilizer at plant out, but that's it. This year's tomatoes are in new garden ground but we worked in lots of manure and shredded leaves last fall.