Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Potatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Got TPS and 1#sampler from NewWorldCrops (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17483)

wmontanez March 12, 2011 12:47 PM

Got TPS and 1#sampler from NewWorldCrops

[SIZE=2]Very pleased with the purchase. Tom send me more than I asked for with extra freebies seeds, thanks again. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]I am starting TPS sowing in late March. The potato patch keeps expanding :)[/SIZE]

David Marek March 12, 2011 08:04 PM

I was also happy to get the free seeds. I did not open them until yesterday, and it was a nice surprise. I will not plant them until later in the month, probably after the tomatoes. Back to the refrigerator for now.

wmontanez March 28, 2011 07:31 PM

Allright, I sowed my TPS and tomato for this summer...sowed 3/20 and yesterday a lot of them were germinating. I got Blanco Rayado from Tom as freebie. I was only growing paste/canning type this year since is what we enjoy the most in my family but I had to sow some of those seeds too! well...2 hours later had 2 more trays to put under grow lights. My germination station has total of 5 trays now...one of sweet peppers, one hot peppers, one mixed of flowers, leafy greens and brassicas, one of tomatoes, one of TPS.

igarden March 29, 2011 12:33 PM

we're doing TPS again this year from tom. they did really great last year. ordered several varieties. hoping to save some seed this year.

salix March 29, 2011 05:27 PM

My TPS have germinated nicely, La Pan and Designer Roses (gotta love the names). I look forward to planting these out, and also the small tubers from last years TPS - should be a usable harvest.

wmontanez April 5, 2011 07:33 AM

7 Attachment(s)
I got great germination so far ...preview of a great potato season!

Farmette April 5, 2011 07:50 AM

Wendy:
How many TPS do you plan on planting? I sowed mine last week...not as densely as you did. Hope I have enough when all is said and done. Maybe I should sow some more...I do have quite a bit of seed.
Thanks!
Chris

wmontanez April 5, 2011 08:33 PM

Chris

I got a bit carried over with seeding since I sprinkled some seeds not having time to count the seeds, and germination looks very good. I plan to plant the strongest seedlings and leave the rest to tuberize in pots to send my mom the potatoes seeds to try in the tropics.

Wendy

grapenut April 5, 2011 09:48 PM

wow, your potato seedlings look fantastic! and that germination rate is really looking good.
I think that next year I'll try growing TPS again.8-)

wmontanez April 11, 2011 12:04 PM

7 Attachment(s)
20 days later...very good germination.

GunnarSK April 11, 2011 12:29 PM

[quote=wmontanez;208965]20 days later...very good germination.[/quote]Looks very good. Hope my potatoes (from seed tubers and TPS) will produce lots of seeds this year, so I can popularise TPS by giving them away for free.

Farmette April 11, 2011 10:18 PM

Wendy:
Your germination looks so much more successful than mine...I am going to resow and do it more thickly.

wmontanez April 12, 2011 07:06 AM

Could be temperature in your room. Mine is a 60-75F now that there is more sun. Plus I keep them under lights at least 12hrs/day. When I had the peppers was a bit colder and some took longer to germinate so I move them to the 'oven' with the pilot light was nice and toasty for them.

Farmette April 12, 2011 08:41 AM

I've actually had mine the heat pad that I use with tomatoes...maybe it is too warm. The germination is pretty good, but the seedlings seem so fragile...is this normal?

Tom Wagner April 12, 2011 08:51 AM

Learning to grow potatoes from TPS is tough if you have temps to warm and not enough light. I harden my seedlings off in direct sunlight on those days when it reaches 50 F. Of course, a day with a few hours of sun is rare in the Seattle area.

I sow heavy so that the seedlings can grow better...they hate wet feet.

Wendy is doing great with her seedlings.

Tom Wagner