Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Herbs (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Basil seems to be a slow grower (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35573)

gregory March 18, 2015 09:17 PM

Basil seems to be a slow grower

Compared to the nightshade family. They germinated within 3-4 days. It's been
A good week and they are starting to get the first hint of new leaves forming but not to much height. They look healthy. I have them inside the garage instead of the house since it's warmer in the garage.

RayR March 18, 2015 09:26 PM

Yep, that's typical for basil starting out from seed. Outside in the heat and sunshine and they'll grow real fast.

pmcgrady March 18, 2015 09:53 PM

Basil grows quick, compared to Rosemary...

shelleybean March 19, 2015 05:11 AM

Basil always germinates and grows quickly for me. One of the easiest herbs to grow.

EBCIII March 25, 2015 09:25 AM

My Basil has come up very quick. My question is this? Now that it is up and looking good what can I do with it? Do I put it in Pots? I may not be able to put in the soil in my garden depending on what the Surgeon says about my back? Thanks in adavance, Beale

shelleybean March 25, 2015 09:38 AM

What kind of basil is it, Beale? Some are very compact and other varieties can grow a couple of feet tall and as wide. I think they can all be grown in containers but some varieties will need bigger pots than others.

EBCIII March 26, 2015 08:52 AM

[QUOTE=shelleybean;459711]What kind of basil is it, Beale? Some are very compact and other varieties can grow a couple of feet tall and as wide. I think they can all be grown in containers but some varieties will need bigger pots than others.[/QUOTE]

It is the Basil you sent me, Standard Basil. Thanks in advance, Beale.

shelleybean March 26, 2015 10:00 AM

If it's sweet basil or Genovese basil, it will get pretty large. I'd say at least a 12 inch pot. Bigger if you have it.

EBCIII March 26, 2015 10:07 AM

Thanks shellybean! At what point do I do this? Beale?

shelleybean March 26, 2015 10:39 AM

Do you have single plants in small pots or a bunch of seedlings in one container? If all together, get them separated and into their own pots. After all danger of frost, when the plants are 2-3 inches tall, you can move them to their permanent pots.

EBCIII March 26, 2015 11:00 AM

Thank you again! Beale.

hiker_ April 21, 2015 09:32 PM

I'm happy to see this thread because I have the same question as Beale. The basil seedlings I started on the 12th are just starting to show their tiny little true leaves. I have 2-3 per 2" pot. Should I immediately separate them and pot them up? Into what size temporary pots? I have Blue Spice (from Baker Creek), "Italian" and "Italian large leaf" (old seeds someone gave me).

Beale, what did you do and what happened?

UFXEFU April 21, 2015 10:20 PM

Last year I planted Sweet Basil between my tomatoes, and it grew 5 feet tall in full sun. Bees love it and they say deer dislike it.

hiker_ May 6, 2015 05:55 PM

I separated my basil seedlings, potted them up and stuck them in my cold frame, and they didn't turn a hair. When I plant out my indeterminates, I'll plant some basil among them.

Tracydr May 6, 2015 07:06 PM

I wait until it's hot and sow outdoors. They like it really hot and really sunny. They also like plenty of nitrogen so I feed it well.