Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing for Market (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   GGWT at the Farmers Market (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45719)

bad.kelpie July 30, 2017 01:15 AM

GGWT at the Farmers Market

1 Attachment(s)
I took some tomatoes with me to the Farmers Market today. I'm there every Saturday anyway because I sell soap, might as well bring along some tomatoes. The striped tomatoes all started ripening at the same time. Some of these are Tennessee Suited, some are Chocolate Stripes, and Some are Girl Girl's Weird Thing. People inevitably ask what kind the stripey ones are, and would usually point to one of the girl girls because it was on top. After about 4 times of telling them the name, and then having to explain the name, while they're all thinking I've lost my mind, all the striped tomatoes became "Chocolate Stripes".

Randall July 30, 2017 07:22 AM

Yup. I understand the name but I'm done explaining it to people. It's the "striped tomato" to the folks who buy tomatoes from me.

ginger2778 July 30, 2017 07:36 AM

They look so gorgeous. I think I will go eat a mango and sulk now.

Worth1 July 30, 2017 08:46 AM

Just put a sign up telling the story of the naming of the tomato.:lol:

Worth

imp July 30, 2017 02:44 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;657502]They look so gorgeous. I think I will go eat a mango and sulk now.[/QUOTE]

I am thinking of her with ripe tomatoes, and you with ripe mangos and me with neither, so I will sulk a bit, LOL!

Urbanheirlooms August 1, 2017 01:04 PM

I have noticed at farmers markets, names mean nothing unless it is something their grandfather used to grow. I think it is best to list most of the OP varieties as "Herilooms" like the grocery stores do. I will always tell them the names if they ask specifically, but the most common questions asked to me are:

1. What is the best tasting
2. I want a good tomato for sandwiches
3. I want a low acid tomato - what do you recommend
4. I want a sweet tomato - what do you recommend
5. Which tomatoes are best for cooking.

BigVanVader August 1, 2017 05:03 PM

I mostly just get the first 2.

Worth1 August 1, 2017 06:22 PM

[QUOTE=Urbanheirlooms;657938]I have noticed at farmers markets, names mean nothing unless it is something their grandfather used to grow. I think it is best to list most of the OP varieties as "Herilooms" like the grocery stores do. I will always tell them the names if they ask specifically, but the most common questions asked to me are:

1. What is the best tasting
My answer, Up to you.
2. I want a good tomato for sandwiches
A big one.
3. I want a low acid tomato - what do you recommend
Not that much difference it is the amount of sugar in the tomato that hides the acid.
4. I want a sweet tomato - what do you recommend
One with sugar on it.
5. Which tomatoes are best for cooking.[/QUOTE]
All of them.
:lol:
Worth

bad.kelpie August 12, 2017 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More for tomorrow, and more variety, the other colors are ripening now.

Rockporter August 12, 2017 12:51 AM

Looks so good!

tryno12 August 12, 2017 01:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Do you find that the GGWT, Tennessee Suited, and the Chocolate Stripes taste about the same - darn good!! Here is my stuff to process - about 30/40 #'s per day gonna cook and freeze and eat all winter:D

bad.kelpie August 12, 2017 01:58 AM

Not to me, the Chocolate Stripes and Tennessee Suited taste similar. The Girl Girl is much sweeter, a little too sweet sometimes. I put one on a taco and had to take it off, too sweet.

What doesn't sell at the market, or ripens before market, or is ugly :P, and manages to escape my BLT, goes into the stock pot for sauce.

tryno12 August 12, 2017 10:34 AM

yes, roaster tom's, juice, and soup.............all good!