Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Undercover Gardening™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Greenhouse is done! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=21985)

nicky March 26, 2012 11:51 AM

Greenhouse is done!

4 Attachment(s)
We finally finished moving the greenhouse to its permanent home! I bought a little snap & grow greenhouse about 1.5 years ago and have been meaning to move it ever since!

We poured a foundation.
[ATTACH]22790[/ATTACH]

Built the walls & wall capper & backfilled with a yard of gravel.
[ATTACH]22791[/ATTACH]

Then we attached the greenhouse to the top of the wall!
[ATTACH]22788[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]22789[/ATTACH]

The walls are made from old weathered concrete block that we found free on Kijiji! It is far too tall for me to reach the top window, so I will have to build a little ladder now! There is electricity & water ready to hook up - as soon as I dig the trench across our lawn! We also want to put a few extra supports inside & need to lengthen the front door. By midweek it will be completely ready for planting!!! I am ridiculously excited & can't wait to get home to just sit in it!

:D

RebelRidin March 26, 2012 01:49 PM

Congrats. I am sure you will enjoy that tremendously. :yes:

rnewste March 26, 2012 02:15 PM

nicky,

Very professional design and construction!:love:

Raybo:)

ddsack March 26, 2012 02:29 PM

Well done! I know you will appreciate the extra height from your cement block walls. I am jealous. :dream:
Nice open garden spot, too! Please post some more garden and greenhouse pictures when you've got things up and growing.:wait:

Zana March 26, 2012 04:02 PM

Looking fabulous Nicky! Can't wait to see it in person. Hint, hint. LOL

Zana

nicky March 26, 2012 04:03 PM

Thanks for comments everyone.... this has been SUCH a long day at work.... waiting to go home & play in the greenhouse!

I will definately post a few pics when its all full. Last year I had about a dozen tomato plants growing - one out of the roof vent! This year they will have about 4 extra feet to climb!

nicky March 26, 2012 04:05 PM

Oh - posted at the same time Zana! Come on over & we can sit inside the greenhouse & have a bevvie! I think everyone will know where to find me for the next while!

:yes:

Zana March 26, 2012 04:09 PM

I am green with envy - all puns intended, Nicky. I dream of having a real greenhouse. Bought a plastic covered 3 tier one today for $30....but will have to keep it inside for now. Minus temps predicted for tonight.

Will be glad to sit and sample a bevvie and enjoy the greenhouse. BTW....the more I look at it, the more I like your concrete block lower walls. Great idea....heat retaining as well as adding height.

Zana

nicky March 26, 2012 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=Zana;263892] Will be glad to sit and sample a bevvie and enjoy the greenhouse. [/QUOTE]

You are welcome anytime! Let me know if you have a spare time any evening & we can get together.

It seemed very warm in the greenhouse last night. I couldn't reach high enough to close the roof vent & the bottom half of the door is missing - it was freezing outside & still it managed to hold quite a bit of heat. I think that the stone walls & the fact that it is sunk down a bit into the ground really helped. After dark, I lit a few candles inside of the greenhouse, so that we could admire it from afar while soaking our aching bones in the hot tub! When I went to blow them out it was still 20C and the outside temperature was 3C!

Not a bad life :lol:

Now on to the other 87 backyard projects :?:

Mark0820 March 26, 2012 05:17 PM

That is a very nice looking greenhouse. I'm sure it will provide many hours of enjoyment from Spring time through the Fall.

kath March 26, 2012 05:34 PM

Happy for you, Nicky- it looks great!

dokutaaguriin March 26, 2012 08:57 PM

Nice greenhouse! You will love gardening undercover.

Jeff

Worth1 March 27, 2012 01:37 AM

Looks great nice masonry work.:yes:

Don't let Zana drink all of your single malt.:P

Worth

Zana March 27, 2012 08:15 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;264017]Looks great nice masonry work.:yes:

Don't let Zana drink all of your single malt.:P

Worth[/QUOTE]

Now Worth.....y'all are presuming I wouldn't bring any with me. ;) And I could bring the makings of virgin margaritas.....and let Nicky decide if she wants to up the kick in hers. LOL Because seeing as it's at least a 20-30 minute drive to Nicky's place from mine, drinking alcohol and driving is out of the question for me. It's an either / or....I don't do both.

Zana

nicky March 27, 2012 09:00 AM

Easy solution - Spare room for single malt nights!

Margaritas (virgin or not) sound good to me! They smell like summer! :)

I make a mean Mango Daquiri (with or without the rum).