Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Tomato seedlings are sad. Did I miss something? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=50215)

beeskwared April 24, 2020 09:39 AM

Tomato seedlings are sad. Did I miss something?

1 Attachment(s)
Good morning everyone!
My first post of the season (at least the northern hemi)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. My tomato seedlings have been indoors all along, 12 hrs/day until a grow lamp, and started 30 minutes daily outdoor acclimation about 3 weeks ago. But the seedlings seem sad! I suspect it's leaf burn from the (albeit limited) sun exposure I've been giving them. But I thought I'd post here for confirmation. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!
Brian

tryno12 April 24, 2020 10:35 AM

Looks like mine did - I believe too much sun last week , recovered well now

beeskwared April 24, 2020 11:01 AM

Thanks for the feedback. This is my first time growing seedlings indoors... new things to learn. I'll definitely shorten outdoor acclimation on sunny days to < 20 minutes. Hopefully, they'll be ready to transplant come mid/late-May.

Brian

PaulF April 24, 2020 11:02 AM

Looks like a little sunburn. Hard to stop it in the beginning. I try to keep mine in the shade the first few days and then into "dappled" shade. Still get a little burn. They tend to come out OK.

beeskwared April 24, 2020 11:04 AM

Thanks for the confirmation, Paul!
-Brian

KarenO April 24, 2020 12:40 PM

Shade or cloudy days to begin with. Definately a bit of sunburn and I agree they should outgrow it
KarenO

MuddyBuckets April 24, 2020 05:29 PM

I agree with this comment "Looks like a little sunburn. Hard to stop it in the beginning. I try to keep mine in the shade the first few days and then into "dappled" shade. Still get a little burn. They tend to come out OK." Try bright shade for the first few hours/days and gradually increase exposure over a week or so. Be sure the media is "moist" and not wet when outdoors, don't let the seedlings dry out!

ScottinAtlanta April 24, 2020 05:47 PM

I find that a light fish fertilizer does wonders in getting the plant growing quickly with that Vivid bright green from the center.

tanstaafl72555 April 27, 2020 06:49 AM

Interesting. I have zero experience, but am learning here. I have noticed the same dappled pattern in my Cherokee Purples, but nothing in my other varieties, including Early Girl, Beefmaster and a few others.
I think I lost every one of my Better Boys. They were my best group two years ago. I think the culprit there was soil mix.

Lee April 27, 2020 07:06 AM

That look can also be caused by wind burn. I've seen that show up on
plants that are in full shade, but after a windy couple of days in April.
Sungold seems to be one variety that is more susceptible to it than others.

As others have said, they should grow out of it.

Lee

MrsJustice May 3, 2020 03:43 PM

I am glad you pointed out the indoor plants can get sun damage.

MrsJustice May 3, 2020 03:44 PM

:yes:I hope your plants are doing much better, Amen!!!