Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Should I some pruning (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44943)

NewbieGrower May 12, 2017 11:27 AM

Should I some pruning

1 Attachment(s)
My 2 tomato plants in EarthTainer very crowded. Getting really hard to fit everything in cage. Should I do so judicious pruning to make space so not so crowded?

Father'sDaughter May 12, 2017 09:04 PM

I would vote yes in order to give them some breathing room. Heat and humidity combined with over crowding is a big invitation for foliage diseases.

Ricky Shaw May 12, 2017 09:26 PM

I'm a yes.

heirloomtomaguy May 12, 2017 09:40 PM

Yeah thats a disease waiting to happen. Prune it!

Ricky Shaw May 12, 2017 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are 15gal fabric pots, a little larger than an Earthbox. I found 3 to 4 stems a good balance of an efficient use of nutrients, production, and adequate ventilation. Keeping the stem cleared low, allows air to flow up and thru the plant and away.

slugworth May 13, 2017 08:28 AM

prune and clone the suckers and branches you cut off.

gssgarden May 13, 2017 08:31 AM

I prune all branches up to the first fruit

Greg

Worth1 May 13, 2017 09:48 AM

As much as I hate to prune you need to do something.
An option that is too late would be to let them spread out.
Not gonna happen now.
This is the reason why I went with 2 foot diameter cages.
I like to be able to at least see through the plant.:lol:

Worth

NewbieGrower May 13, 2017 12:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I pruned yesterday. Removed all lower branches that had no new growth. Had a number of thick branches growing horizontal that prevented branches from growing up. None of these had any new growth, blossoms or fruit so cut those. I was afraid I was getting too aggressive, removing foliage needed to shade baby tomatoes. But looks a lot better now I think. And can actually see the babies on vine now. I think it can breathe now and use energy growing new leaves on top. What do you think? Before and after.

NewbieGrower May 13, 2017 12:26 PM

Didn't bother cloning any cut off. No place to plant them.

Worth1 May 13, 2017 12:50 PM

They look great to me.:yes:

Worth

jillian May 13, 2017 01:01 PM

Excellent pruning! Your effort will be well worth it!

Old School May 13, 2017 01:07 PM

Looking good :D

oakley May 13, 2017 04:14 PM

Good job. I have no idea about recovery with such heavy pruning as i do a bit here and there during
the growing process....over the first month.
Impressive you just went for it!!

Ahem, no room for clones, ?, ...;)

I would have that sunny blank yard covered in plants. :?:
(just wait 'till next year)...you will get the tom bug eventually.

NewbieGrower May 13, 2017 04:27 PM

Just bought home last August and doing lots of home projects (painting, etc). Wanted my first garden but no time to prepare raised beds. So opted for 2 EarthTainers this first season.

We pruned my friend's plant significantly because pest damage. Very next day she had new blossoms at top. My plant should recover easily with more nutrients available for new growth. And backyard slopes so would need to terrace for level beds.