Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Does this look like a Cherokee purple tomato? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28239)

frankbenjones May 22, 2013 11:47 PM

Does this look like a Cherokee purple tomato?

1 Attachment(s)
I started from seeds and have never grown these before. I gave one plant to a neighbor and theirs are more round instead of pear shaped like these. I guess it is entirely possible I accidently mixed up some of my seed labels but I don't remember planting anything that is supposed to have a shape like this. Could this be a Cherokee purple? All the fruit on the plant are shaped like this.

lycoperson May 22, 2013 11:50 PM

It sure doesn't look anything like a Cherokee Purple. What else were you growing?

frankbenjones May 22, 2013 11:58 PM

In the same bed I have the following:

Burpee Super Sauce
Delicious
Golden Rave
Black Krim
Ark Traveler

Perhaps I shouldn't have planted all these different types together? I'm relatively new at gardening so I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm enjoying it.

Cole_Robbie May 23, 2013 12:07 AM

Cherokee Purple doesn't have potato leaves, either.

frankbenjones May 23, 2013 12:23 AM

I must have mixed the labels up then. Thanks. I will check my friends plant to see if the leaves look similar.

tlintx May 23, 2013 01:26 AM

That looks a lot like the San Marzanos I have growing right now. Fruit is about two and a half inches long.

Tl

frankbenjones May 23, 2013 02:20 AM

I do have San Marzano seed but have never grown one. Mine are between 2 and 3 inches.

carolyn137 May 23, 2013 09:25 AM

Frank, what was the source of you Cherokee Purple seeds. and I ask b'c there is a Cherokee Green Pear, but that one is not readily available.

Can you confirm that the foliage is PL (potato leaf) since looking at your picture I can't tell if the foliage belongs to the variety in question or to something else , but when I look at the ones you said were in the same bed, none of them are PL.

There is a PL Cherokee Purple but not with fruits like that.

If these were fresh seeds you bought or traded for then it makes no difference what was in the same bed.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

Cole_Robbie May 23, 2013 11:13 AM

[I]There is a PL Cherokee Purple

[/I]I did not know that. Thanks.

ginger2778 May 23, 2013 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;350304][I]There is a PL Cherokee Purple

[/I]I did not know that. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I know Carolyn is going to correct this post, but here I go anyway.:lol:There are 2 because there is also Spudakee, which is a CP PL but it's not CPPL.
Different shape, and production.
Marsha

Tracydr May 23, 2013 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;350307]I know Carolyn is going to correct this post, but here I go anyway.:lol:There are 2 because there is also Spudakee, which is a CP PL but it's not CPPL.
Different shape, and production.
Marsha[/QUOTE]

Marsha- do you find spudakee more productive? Mine seem to be, first year growing it.

efisakov May 23, 2013 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=frankbenjones;350215]I started from seeds and have never grown these before. I gave one plant to a neighbor and theirs are more round instead of pear shaped like these. I guess it is entirely possible I accidently mixed up some of my seed labels but I don't remember planting anything that is supposed to have a shape like this. Could this be a Cherokee purple? All the fruit on the plant are shaped like this.[/QUOTE]

The tomato on the picture looks like Japanese Black Trifele tomato (Black, Potato leaf, 75).

FaithHopeLove May 23, 2013 01:04 PM

Possibly a paste variety?

ginger2778 May 23, 2013 01:54 PM

[QUOTE=Tracydr;350325]Marsha- do you find spudakee more productive? Mine seem to be, first year growing it.[/QUOTE]
Yes, more productive, but the fruit got more disease.
Marsha

frankbenjones May 23, 2013 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=carolyn137;350269]Frank, what was the source of you Cherokee Purple seeds. and I ask b'c there is a Cherokee Green Pear, but that one is not readily available.

Can you confirm that the foliage is PL (potato leaf) since looking at your picture I can't tell if the foliage belongs to the variety in question or to something else , but when I look at the ones you said were in the same bed, none of them are PL.

Carolyn[/QUOTE]

Carolyn,

I've attached a (hopefully) better picture for you to see the foliage. Is that PL?

I believe I purchased the seeds from Baker Creek/Rareseeds.com. I am going to go over to my friends in a bit and take a picture of the plant I gave them to compare.