Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Is it time yet? tomatoes 2024 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=51747)

Fusion_power February 5, 2024 01:58 AM

Is it time yet? tomatoes 2024

Yes, its time. I started 27 varieties of tomatoes. I will start about 150 more varieties over the next few weeks. Have you started any yet?

kurt February 5, 2024 09:11 AM

A couple of starts inside.

2 Attachment(s)
Next seeds will go outside.

Labradors2 February 5, 2024 09:14 AM

Too early here, but that didn't stop me from starting some Maglia Rosa's yesterday. They will be grown in 3 gallon pots on my deck :).

PaulF February 5, 2024 11:03 AM

It is like watching the hummingbird northward progress lines on the map seeing the areas sowing tomato seeds. And there is a spring line of northward movement site to see how close warm weather is. Seed starting in my lattitude is around March 1 for peppers and March 10 for tomatoes. Ontario is throwing the planting line way off but then that is not for "in-the-garden" planting.

Lotte February 5, 2024 11:16 AM

I'll start first day in March, about 90 different ones.

KarenO February 5, 2024 11:51 AM

My main group gets planted in late March but I have some microdwarfs growing for now. Looking forward to the season! Have a great year everyone !
KarenO

VirginiaClay February 5, 2024 12:33 PM

Still about 6 weeks away from starting tomato seeds for me here in Northern Virginia. We generally can't plant out until after 5/1. I haven't even planted my cabbage and broccoli seeds yet -- about a week away for that.

Looking forward to seeing some lists of what varieties people are planting, and eventually pictures! Good luck to all.

gssgarden February 5, 2024 01:11 PM

Seeds went in on Sat. 9 weeks from my frost date but I try to get a head start as it gets humid fast around here and it hurts germination. I'll check the weather and see if I can get them in the ground early. I pot up multiples so if there ever is frost damage, I can easily replace.

Greg

kurt February 5, 2024 05:55 PM

We are doing the Everglades cherrys,edweather E Mortgage Lifters.Some Green Zebras from C Male,Found some BHN cherrys,and the classic Black Cherrys.

Dark Rumor February 6, 2024 01:13 AM

Group 1 - Planted 1-5-2024

1 Attachment(s)
I moved group 1 from inside the house to the front porch. I put them in the garage on colder nights.
Considering putting these in the ground in two weeks if the 10 day forcast does not dip below 45 degrees

What temperature do you deem warm enough to plant your tomatoes?

MrBig46 February 6, 2024 03:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Outside the window I have seedlings under glass for my two cold greenhouses. I plan to plant them in the second half of March. In one frame, parthenocarpic varieties (Oregon Spring, Oregon Eleven, Gold Nugget, Oroma, Santiam and Siletz) from sowing on 10.11.2023 will be planted, in the other frame I will put early bush tomatoes from sowing on 4.12.2023 (Maglia Rosa, Sophie's Choice, Lyana Rozovaya, Vspyschka, Jagodka, Sarayev Shtambovyi and Mongolian Karlik).
I will sow indeterminate varieties at the beginning of March, in a limited amount compared to previous years. I will specify the varieties before sowing. Like every year I will be growing Spanish steaks, big hearts of different colors, some cherry (Goldkrone, Datlo and Primabella) and something for sauces (Opalka, Amish Paste, Gilbertie).
I will set aside one whole bed with a roof for dry cultivation of tomatoes with a long shelf life. I will put there all the seeds of varieties of this type that I have. Spanish Ramallet Pequenito Mallorquian, Ramallet Bombeta, Ramallet Saint Llorenc des Cardassar, Ramallet Mugró, Ramallet Ibiza Bianca and Italian Pienollo del Vesuvio, Re Umberto, Principe Borghese and Pienollo x LA0417.
Of course, I still have plenty of time to make some changes.
Vladimír

rxkeith February 6, 2024 07:42 PM

not till april for me.

i am down in florida for a bit, so can't start anything even if i wanted to.
should be back home later in the month, and will get some micro tomatoes
going. some peppers will get started in march.

keith

Lindalana February 7, 2024 01:24 PM

Will be starting peppers shortly. Tomatoes for my use will be started end of February and plant swap beginning of March. I have narrowed down to couple of dozen for my favorite workhorses and try to collect my seeds to keep them going.

Lee February 7, 2024 04:23 PM

Will be starting mine in the next 3 weeks or so.
I have found the tomatoes in the ground last two weeks of April don't produce any sooner that those in the ground the first week of May.
The plants just don't care for cold feet.....

Those planted in black pots, however, will ripen fruit sooner. So, I may have a few early ones to try and get a June tomato.

Lee

MrsJustice February 12, 2024 07:40 PM

My Tomato Babies are doing Great, Amen!!