Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   My list.. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39328)

gssgarden January 11, 2016 09:15 PM

My list..

30 plants in raised beds and 2 Dwarves.

Gonna make a LOT of sauce this year!! :)

Reds

Shannon's - 4
Wes
Giant Belgium
Dester
Arkansas Traveler
George Detsikas Italian Red
Goliath
Early Goliath
Big Beef
Cuostralee
Box Car Willie

Cherries

Mexico Midget

Greens

My Mystery Green - I call it Gregory's Green for now
Green Giant
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Grub's Mystery Green

Orange

KBX
Orange Minsk
Orange Jazz
Chef's Choice Orange

Pineapple Pig
Lucky Cross

Blacks

Cherokee Purple - of course!
Carbon
Cherokee Carbon
Indian Stripe
Pink Berkley Tie Dye
Large Barred Boar

Gonna be busy! :)

Greg

carolyn137 January 11, 2016 09:49 PM

[QUOTE=gssgarden;524813]30 plants in raised beds and 2 Dwarves.

Gonna make a LOT of sauce this year!! :)

Reds

Shannon's - 4
Wes
Giant Belgium
Dester
Arkansas Traveler
George Detsikas Italian Red
Goliath
Early Goliath
Big Beef
Cuostralee
Box Car Willie

Cherries

Mexico Midget

Greens

My Mystery Green - I call it Gregory's Green for now
Green Giant
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Grub's Mystery Green

Orange

KBX
Orange Minsk
Orange Jazz
Chef's Choice Orange

Pineapple Pig
Lucky Cross

Blacks

Cherokee Purple - of course!
Carbon
Cherokee Carbon
Indian Stripe
Pink Berkley Tie Dye
Large Barred Boar

Gonna be busy! :)

Greg[/QUOTE]

Good looking list but you might want to consider creating a Pink list for Dester and Arkansas Traveler since you have them under the Reds right now.;):)

Carolyn

Dark Rumor January 11, 2016 10:01 PM

How many square feet do you have for the 30 plants?

My list for my two raised beds:
[FONT=Calibri]Abe Lincoln[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Beefsteak[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Big Red[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Box Car Willie[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Bush Beefsteak[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Carmello[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Dona[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Gregori's Altai[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Mexico[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Mortgage Lifter[/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#534c4c]Container: Beaverlodge Slicer[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Early Wonder[/FONT]

Gardeneer January 12, 2016 12:29 AM

[QUOTE=Dark Rumor;524822]How many square feet do you have for the 30 plants?

My list for my two raised beds:
[FONT=Calibri]Abe Lincoln[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Beefsteak[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Big Red[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Box Car Willie[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Bush Beefsteak[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Carmello[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Dona[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Gregori's Altai[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Mexico[/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Mortgage Lifter[/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#534c4c]Container: Beaverlodge Slicer[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri]Early Wonder[/FONT][/QUOTE]

What is the shape of your beds ?

To speak from my own experience , I give roughly 3 sq-ft for each plant. that is roughly 20" by 20".
If I had more space I would've upped it to 4 sq-ft per plant.

So to answer your question you need 90 to 100 sq-ft space.

Gardeneer

sjamesNorway January 12, 2016 01:26 AM

gssgarden, I see that you're planning on growing both Big Beef and Goliath. I'm planning on growing one or the other, as I only have room for one of them. Have you grown them before, and if so, could you compare them?

Steve

kath January 12, 2016 09:29 AM

Nice list! Do you combine all those varieties to make your sauce? Asking because when I did that one year the color was rather muddy.:?!?:

kath

carolyn137 January 12, 2016 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=kath;524866]Nice list! Do you combine all those varieties to make your sauce? Asking because when I did that one year the color was rather muddy.:?!?:

kath[/QUOTE]

I had to laugh about that Kath since whenI was still using paste tomatoes for sauce before I switched to heart varieties and meaty beefsteaks I sure came up with some weird colors since all paste tomatoes are not red.

I wondered from time to time that if one used just GWripe varieties and some yellow varieties if sauce would turn out to be blue, ahem, as happens with watercolors.:lol:

Carolyn

imp January 12, 2016 11:02 AM

That is an interesting thought, carolyn. If you used close to equal amounts, I wonder.....

If it did make a blue sauce, serve it on a black pasta to really freak people out.

Worth1 January 12, 2016 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;524876]I had to laugh about that Kath since whenI was still using paste tomatoes for sauce before I switched to heart varieties and meaty beefsteaks I sure came up with some weird colors since all paste tomatoes are not red.

I wondered from time to time that if one used just GWripe varieties and some yellow varieties if sauce would turn out to be blue, ahem, as happens with watercolors.:lol:

Carolyn[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry Carolyn, Blue Yellow and Red are the primary colors all other colors come from a mixture of these.

All you would get from green and yellow is light green.

Yellow and blue make green.;)
Worth

carolyn137 January 12, 2016 11:10 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;524882]I'm sorry Carolyn, Blue Yellow and Red are the primary colors all other colors come from a mixture of these.

All you would get from green and yellow is light green.

Yellow and blue make green.;)
Worth[/QUOTE]

Oh my, I made a mistake, first one in 20 years and you are so right Worth.And I ask when was the last time that YOU made a mistake, talking gardening now, not other mistakes/:lol:

Yellows I've got plenty of but forget it when it comes to any antho ones, with perhaps one exception.:)

Carolyn

imp January 12, 2016 11:14 AM

Me, too, just ran off with the thought! Well, there are blue tomatoes....maybe I will just stick with yellow or bright orange sauce and black pasta.

Worth1 January 12, 2016 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;524884]Oh my, I made a mistake, first one in 20 years and you are so right Worth.And I ask when was the last time that YOU made a mistake, talking gardening now, not other mistakes/:lol:

Yellows I've got plenty of but forget it when it comes to any antho ones, with perhaps one exception.:)

Carolyn[/QUOTE]

I never make mistakes gardening, I like to call them discoveries. ;)

I never will forget the time my mother let me help her make my own green three layer Birthday cake.:lol:

Worth

Fusion_power January 12, 2016 11:31 AM

I would probably use one of the pale purple varieties to make sauce and mix with a small amount of an anthocyanin variety to get the proper color blue.

We all make mistakes and we pay for them, often more than we expected to pay and longer than we expected the payments to last.

I am fortunate to have a mother who often indulged my desire for chocolate cake.

Dark Rumor January 12, 2016 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;524838]What is the shape of your beds ?

To speak from my own experience , I give roughly 3 sq-ft for each plant. that is roughly 20" by 20".
If I had more space I would've upped it to 4 sq-ft per plant.

So to answer your question you need 90 to 100 sq-ft space.

Gardeneer[/QUOTE]

One bed is 3'x5' - 15 sq ft - I was planning on 5 to 6 plants
the second bed is 8'x7' - 56 sq ft - I was planning on 16 to 20 plants
I will probably keep it to the 3 square feet per plant

Gardeneer January 12, 2016 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=Dark Rumor;524941]One bed is 3'x5' - 15 sq ft - I was planning on 5 to 6 plants
the second bed is 8'x7' - 56 sq ft - I was planning on 16 to 20 plants
I will probably keep it to the 3 square feet per plant[/QUOTE]

You are doing it right I think.

===== 5 plants in 15 sq-ft corresponds to 3 sq-ft per plant ( as I said )
===== in 56 sq-ft 18 plants will also be 3 sq-ft per plant.

So the total will be roughly 23 plants.
What I have suggested is what I have been doing for the past 3 seasons myself. So it is not something theoretical. For example in a 2.5ft by 5ft I will plant 4. I have done 5 too. That would be 2.5sq-ft per plant.

Gardeneer