Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Our Garden Cookbook™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Hot Peppers (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25662)

Grub December 29, 2006 06:35 AM

Hot Peppers

I was thinking of breaking with tradition and using a rice/beef mince/tomato/herb/. and touch of cheese mix to stuff my Anaheims. What do you think?

Or have you any other low-fat, not too carb heavy, combos for stuffing Anaheims? I'm not being too extreme, just been a big Xmas.

Ta.

shelleybean December 29, 2006 09:23 AM

I haven't tried this myself but we have a friend who uses sort of a deviled crab type mixture with some cheese and a filling, then deep fries them, but of course you could put them in the oven instead.

Rena July 19, 2007 06:42 PM

Habanero Pepper Sauce Recipe (vinegar)

We use this on rutabagas,collards, turnips, field peas butter beans and turnip greens. This is from my inlaws who came from LA (lower Alabama)
[IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f346/IMISSCOLO/peppers.jpg[/IMG]

Wash peppers
Make opening in peppers so vinegar can get inside. (scissors work fine)
Stuff peppers in a bottle or jar or bottle.
add approx 1 heaping teaspoon pickling salt per pint.
Boil 5% apple cider vinegar and pour over peppers. Close tightly but does not need to be sealed as in canning does.
Let me add use proper pepper procedure, gloves eye protection and vent.
The jars needed wiped down after filling....:roll:

Rena July 20, 2007 05:07 AM

I wanted to say that we DO not eat the Habaneros we just use the vinegar.

shelleybean July 20, 2007 06:54 AM

Thanks for the recipe. Have you tried this with other kinds of hot peppers?

Rena July 20, 2007 09:51 AM

The recipe written by Dh's Dad actually says hot peppers. I am sure you can use others we just like the flavor of the Habaneros.

Earl July 21, 2007 06:44 PM

It's done the same way in SG, South Georgia. :-) And used on the same stuff and etc. You can also can hot banana peppers this way and the peppers are great to eat after they sit for several months.

snappybob July 23, 2007 05:46 PM

I've never seen the plastic mason jar lids. Is that something new that they came out with. I guess you could only use them for icebox canning but they would work great for that. I haven't seen them in the stores down here.

Rena July 23, 2007 06:26 PM

Super Walmart in the canning section.;)

neoguy August 11, 2007 03:49 PM

Can kosher salt be substituted for canning salt?

Rena August 11, 2007 06:10 PM

Not sure... have not tried that. I should do a jar with one of each and sample.-Rena

Zana August 11, 2007 06:36 PM

Kosher salt is the same thing as canning salt. The difference between the two and regular table salt is that no iodine is added. All table salt has iodine and that doesn't interact with the canning process well, hence some being labelled "canning salt". I find that natural sea salt is ok to use in pickling/canning too. There may be trace amounts of naturally occuring iodine but its no miniscule an amount that it doesn't cause any problems in my experience.

Zana August 11, 2007 06:47 PM

If you like a hot bbq sauce and your sauce has a vinegar base to it, you may like to add some of those pickled habaneros directly to it, minced up. Yummmmmm. My taste buds are watering at the thought. (Although, I should think that even if it doesn't have a vinegar base to it, you might still add them. I would....hot peppers are always good. I grew up scarfing down pickled scotch bonnets when visiting relatives in Jamaica. Needless to say, my idea of "heat" isn't what most Canucks prefer or want. LOL).

Earl August 11, 2007 08:00 PM

I found this info at The Cook's Thesaurus

Kosher [B]salt[/B] also is preferred over table [B]salt[/B] for [B]canning[/B] and pickling. Like pickling [B]salt[/B], kosher [B]salt[/B] is free of iodine, which can react adversely with certain foods. Some brands of kosher [B]salt[/B] contain yellow prussiate of soda, an anti-caking agent, but unlike the anti-caking additive in table [B]salt[/B], it doesn't cloud pickling liquids. The only drawback to using kosher [B]salt[/B] for pickling or [B]canning[/B] is that the grains are coarser and flakier, and can't be packed as tightly into a measuring cup as pickling [B]salt[/B]. This raises the risk that the [B]salt[/B] won't be properly measured. To get around this problem, measure by weight instead of volume. With its large grains, kosher [B]salt[/B] isn't a good choice for baking.

neoguy August 13, 2007 12:00 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I made a small batch on Saturday, 1 quart. I brought to a boil:
cider vinegar
2 teaspoons pickling spice
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
(I forgot to add garlic)

I stuffed the jar with Hungarian Hot Wax and poured the liquid into the jar.

Tried one the next day, I think its a keeper. Next time, I may use some honey instead of sugar, and, I'll definitely add garlic.