Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Undercover Gardening™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   2011 Dwarves in the Fall/Winter Greenhouse (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20160)

mdvpc October 16, 2011 08:15 PM

2011 Dwarves in the Fall/Winter Greenhouse

1 Attachment(s)
Its the greenhouse season for me. Started the 9 released dwarf project varieties, and 4 more that are being still developed. Here is a photo of Dwarf Caitydid, it was set out as a very small plant on September 5, and has fruited this past weekend, at 40 days from set-out. Only one fruit so far, but there are several more blossoms that should fruit this week.

Patrina_Pepperina October 16, 2011 09:52 PM

Lovely Michael! Looks like a whole bunch of blossoms at the top :)

Patrina

mdvpc October 17, 2011 09:04 AM

Patrina

There are. I expect more fruit set pretty soon.

Heritage October 31, 2011 09:29 PM

Michael,

That's a happy looking plant!

In your experience with greenhouse growing of heirlooms have you determined a minimum day/night temperature for optimum flavor? I grow a few tomatoes every spring in my unheated greenhouse but the flavor never gets great until early July. I would add heat if I thought the minimum requirements were low enough to justify the cost.

Thanks,
Steve

mdvpc November 1, 2011 08:41 AM

Steve

Since I set out plants in September usually, and harvest in the late November/December/early January time frame, I cant really say that the flavor ever gets as good as a spring/summer growout. They are a lot better than any store tomato. I usually do this to advance the dwarf project, and also for seed saving, and of course, to have some decent tomatoes. My temps range from 70/95 during the early part to 50/75 during December/January.

My greenhouse is heated, and I live in El Paso, so we do get decent sunlight and temps during the winter. I think the flavor is determined not only by temperature, but also day length and amount of sunlight.

So I cant really give you a good answer-your climate is so different from mine.

Heritage November 1, 2011 01:25 PM

I'll be interesting to see your evaluation of the dwarfs as a fall/winter crop. I should have planted a larger fall crop myself. I have one Wild Fred plant and I just picked the first fruit yesterday. It was delicious - even better flavor than any dwarf tomato I harvested this summer! (including Dwarf Fred). The only thing I can figure is lately have kept the soil drier (slightly stressing the plants) than with my summer container plants. Otherwise, I can't explain the improved flavor since the days have been getting shorter and the temps cooler. One of the fun puzzles...

mdvpc November 2, 2011 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is Dwarf Catydid today, Nov 2, 11. It has several fruit, these are the two biggest. Several others varieties have fruited. I will update with photos this weekend.

rnewste November 2, 2011 08:54 PM

Good stuff, Michael.:yes:

How tall is the plant currently, shown in your photo?

Raybo

mdvpc November 3, 2011 12:01 AM

Ray

Its the same height as the first photo. I will measure it tomorrow and post. Its very compact.

mdvpc November 3, 2011 09:35 AM

Ray-the Dwarf Catydid in the photo is 28 inches tall from top of container to top of plant.

mdvpc November 13, 2011 11:16 AM

15 Attachment(s)
Here are the dwarves on 11/13/11. They were just watered. All have set fruit, except for Tasmanian Chocolate, which I direct seeded late.

The F generation is the number after the variety name, if I put one.

They are:

Wild Fred 8
Tasmanian Chocolate 7
Rosella Purple 10
Beryl Beauty 10
Jade Beauty 10
Emerald Giant 9
Summertime Gold
Mr. Snow
Caitydid 4
Caitydid 4
Tasty Wine 5
Sweet Scarlet 5
Blazing Beauty 6
Sweet Sue
Summertime Green

Farmette November 13, 2011 11:22 AM

Michael:
What size and type of pots are you using?

mdvpc November 13, 2011 01:43 PM

They are 5 gallon root pots. In most of the containers, I have 2 plants.

Heritage November 13, 2011 02:04 PM

Michael,

Those are looking great! You have a nice, clean operation.

Steve

mdvpc November 13, 2011 02:17 PM

Thanks for the compliment, Steve!