Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Southern seed starting! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=7283)

Worth1 December 18, 2007 10:27 AM

Southern seed starting!

When are you guys starting seeds in the south?
This month (Dec), next month(Jan)?

I will probably start mine in Mid January this year?
Just wondering!

Worth

feldon30 December 18, 2007 11:30 AM

Probably December 26th.

Worth1 December 18, 2007 12:24 PM

I'm just dieing to get started, you guys wouldn't believe what a beautiful day it is here in Central Texas.

[B]Rest Of Today[/B]...Partly sunny. Warmer. Highs in the lower 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

[B]Tonight[/B]...Partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows 45 to 50. Light and variable winds.

[B]Wednesday[/B]...Partly sunny. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

[B]Wednesday Night[/B]...Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

[B]Thursday[/B]...Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 70s. West winds 10 to 15 mph.

[B]Thursday Night[/B]...Mostly clear. Colder. Lows in the mid 40s.

[B]Friday[/B]...Mostly cloudy. Highs in the lower 70s.

[B]Friday Night[/B]...Mostly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers after midnight. Warmer. Lows in the mid 50s.

[B]Saturday[/B]...Mostly sunny. A 20 percent chance of showers in the morning. Breezy. Highs in the upper 60s.

[B]Saturday Night[/B]...Partly cloudy. Colder. Lows in the mid 30s.

[B]Sunday[/B]...Mostly clear. Cooler. Highs in the upper 50s. Lows 28 to 33.

[B]Sunday Night[/B]...Mostly clear. Cooler. Highs in the upper 50s. Lows 28 to 33.

Worth

goldpearl December 18, 2007 06:15 PM

It is gorgeous out today! I am ready to start tomatoes inside as soon as the holiday guests leave, sometime after Christmas or New Year's. I might go ahead and start filling the trays and hide them away until the coast is clear.

gardenhappy December 18, 2007 06:47 PM

seed starting

I have stared all ready: hot peppers,tomato's,lavender,thyme,lemon grass,lettuce,chards,garlic seeds,onions,shallots,sweet peas so far and egg plants
we are cold right now went from 80,s to 34 but this is inside and going into greenhouse so i'm not worried when they are ready to transplant i could not wait any longer now that the mole crickets are for sure gone it's full steam ahead!!!!!!!!:yes: :yes: ;) :D :lol: :lol:

Suze December 18, 2007 07:41 PM

Well, the time I'd planned to spend on coming up with a spring growing list the week before Christmas (as well as the motivation) still hasn't materialized. Plus, I have company coming in the week of, so no dice there.

I'll be furiously scrambling to come up with a list the last couple days of Dec, then will start my seeds the first week of Jan.

If it's a warm or avg Jan, in the garage. If not, probably in the office, where I can close the door and keep them safe from the tender mercies of the cats. I plan to start any dwarves first, as they stay controllable much longer under the lights.

Rena December 18, 2007 08:06 PM

I have 4 trays of dwarf plants already!! I also have a tray of various plants headed to Hot Miami!! I will start some lavender, calendula and Hhocks next week.:yes:

barkeater December 18, 2007 08:36 PM

Best time to start tomato seeds is the week before the full moon, and any seeds within 3 days of the full moon.

The best transplants are 6-8 weeks old, so, if you want to transplant outdoors in mid February, use the full moon Dec. 24th (plant in the next 5 days). If you want to plant out in mid-March, start just before the full moon January 22.

Also, the best time to transplant is between the new and full moon, which corresponds to 6-8 week old transplants if you started at the right time.

You can't go wrong following Mother Nature's rules.

feldon30 December 19, 2007 09:28 AM

Call me a [I]lunatic[/I], but I intend to start seeds December 26th in 72 cell trays, then upsize to 4" pots, and by March 1st, they will be in gallon pots. My transplants will be 12-18" tall.

dice December 19, 2007 12:15 PM

I am starting a few right now, ridiculous as that may
seem for our Pacific Northwest climate. I am going
to let them grow with not enough light, get as spindly
as they want, and then take cuttings around the first
of March, let them root in water, pot up in 8" pots
when they get some roots, and by the first week
of May they should be ready to transplant into the
garden.

(I want to see if I can convince a few later maturing
plants that June is actually September. I do not know
if that will really work, because they will have been
growing in "not enough light" for those first 4 months,
which may affect their concept of, "How long have
I been growing and is it time to set fruit yet?". But
I intend to find out.)

Edit:
"concept" is probably not the right word here.
"...which may affect their sense of,..."
(Plants don't have "concepts", but they do seem
to have something like senses.)

Rena December 19, 2007 12:54 PM

Feldon, I grow a few tall like that. I just keep transplanting!

Deer Park December 20, 2007 05:43 PM

I always start the week between Christmas and New Years. Usually plants are 18" tall by March 1st. I may try to plant a few in Feb. what with Global warming shorting our season alittle every year. Last year was cooler longer just because it never stopped raining. Got to have raised beds or don't bother.

Merry Christmas to all,
Deer Park

Worth1 December 20, 2007 06:26 PM

[quote=Deer Park;82224]I always start the week between Christmas and New Years. Usually plants are 18" tall by March 1st. I may try to plant a few in Feb. what with Global warming shorting our season alittle every year. Last year was cooler longer just because it never stopped raining. [SIZE=5][COLOR=Red]Got to have raised beds or don't bother. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Merry Christmas to all,
Deer Park[/quote]

It has always made me laugh to see folks from down there come up here and plant all of their stuff up on a mound.

I already know why but I ask them why they do it.

They say, "thats what we always do.

I tell them, "thats right down where you come from you have to because of all of the rain, we don't need it up here".:))

We need them to be level with the ground so the roots can get all of the moisture they can get in Central Texas.

That is if you are not growing in raised beds with a drip or soaker hose.

Sometimes folks just do things without even realizing why they do it.;)

Worth

duajones December 24, 2007 02:39 PM

I started seeds on Christmas last year but plan on the first week of January this year. I dont think a week or two will make that much difference for me.

MikeInCypress December 25, 2007 02:12 PM

I just seeded twelve that need an early start - BW Sudduth, KBX, Earl's Faux, Cluj plus a few others and some of the truly early ones like Lime Green Salad, Silvery Fir Tree, and Kimberly. The large fruited ones will be set in 18 ga containers that I can bring in from the frost if needed around Feb 10 and the others will be put in 5 gallon buckets in hopes of an early harvest. I will be seeding some peppers and eggplants tonight and more tomatoes this week end. I will have the earlys in their final containers by Feb 12 and the 6 plants I put in the ground by March 8. Final container plants will be set out by Mar 15. Most container plants will be out by March 1. I am shooting for sixty plants this year - down from 80 last year. :)

Rena December 26, 2007 06:22 AM

[quote=MikeInCypress;82678] I am shooting for sixty plants this year - down from 80 last year. :)[/quote]

I am guessing then you will end up with 90 then?:D:D

I always say I am cutting back but then I really add more.....

bryanccfshr December 27, 2007 02:35 PM

I started mine just few of days ago.
Brandywine(Sudduth), Cherokee Purple, Aunt Gerdies Gold, Jubilee, Bucks county, Jet star, Black and Red Cherry types.

I am breaking down and ordering Texas Tomato cages and I got a great Christmas present to help expand the garden.

Worth1 December 27, 2007 09:21 PM

Bryan you really need to plant some green tomatoes.

Anything but green zebra./puke

If you dont have green tomato seeds then I can give you some.

I am at work now and if you are too you can come see me and I will give you some.

Thats right I have almost all of my seeds with me.:)) :twisted:

Send me a PM if you want.:)

I will be here for a week.

Worth

bryanccfshr December 27, 2007 10:06 PM

I am Covering the West side for the next week. If you are at the BOC let me know. I would be happy to try a green when ripe and apperciate the seeds.

Worth1 December 27, 2007 11:56 PM

Bryan I should be at the BOC all week.
You can reach me at the fire and gas shop at 6:30 Pm or you can PM me and we can hook up some place.

Worth

bryanccfshr December 28, 2007 12:29 AM

I'll catch you tommorow afterwork. I got caught up watching UT beat Arizona.

jenn_sc December 28, 2007 09:30 AM

I'm planning to start mine around Feb.1, and even that is risky b/c our average last frost date is early/mid April. Last year I took a chance and planted out early for a head start....then we got that freak April freeze...24F over Easter weekend! :( Good thing I had backup plants! I do like to get a small jump on the season though. When the high temps/humidity begin fruitset really suffers.

Jennifer (who will spend January revising and dreaming over the 2008 lineup!)

TomatoDon January 2, 2008 12:50 PM

I've learned the hard way to always watch for that mid April cold snap. Seems to happen every year, and really wiped out a lot of plants last year for people. I wait will April 17, and if we have a good five day forecast then I will plant. Otherwise they stay warm in their cell packs and cups until they have a warm place outside. I am finally learning to beat my compulsion to plant too early! Heck, I don't mind potting up to a small trade gallon or nursery container and just move them in and out till the soil and season is right.

TomatoDon

FlipTX January 6, 2008 10:58 AM

I usually buy my plants from a couple of great nurseries in Houston, but I need a back up plan this year for various reasons. So... I'm going to try my hand at starting my own seeds. Yesterday I dug through my stash and found seeds for Black Sea Man, popped them in some starter mix and put them outside against a south-facing wall. (It's warm here lately.) Next I'll try to find where I put my Eva Purple Ball seeds!

feldon30 January 6, 2008 12:26 PM

Flip,

Let me know if you want me to start any seeds for ya. I'm starting either today or tomorrow. Yes, I'm a week late already! :(

Worth1 January 6, 2008 02:15 PM

Here are some of my plants I started on 12/25/07
I started 72 more last night (2AM) and will start 72 more today.
Feldon I thought you were going to plant on 12/26/07.:P
It's very nice of you to offer Flip plants.:)

Deerpark you will be glad to know that the Mexico seeds I saved from the big one sprouted 100%.;)
Well anyway here are the babies.:)
[ATTACH]3660[/ATTACH]

Worth

feldon30 January 6, 2008 07:05 PM

Yeah I know I'm LATE!

Looking good!

bryanccfshr January 6, 2008 08:33 PM

Get to work on that

Plantersville January 6, 2008 10:22 PM

I got 2 flats started Dec 24th and just now pulled them all out since they were very leggy. Replaned and put back to bed. Now I'll watch them closer!!

:oops:

FlipTX January 7, 2008 08:26 AM

[quote]It's very nice of you to offer Flip plants.[/quote]
Yes, it is! I'm currently trying to figure out what I want. :)